• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dk73

What Tools Do I Use?

dk73

Hi. I have an oil leak from my gearbox. I need to buy the right tools for the job. Please can anyone tell me what tools I need to get to the driveshaft and pull it out? The sizes and names of the tools please.

Tom Fenton

1600 or 1900 car? Which side driveshaft?

dk73

sorry tom, its a 1.9, the nearside.

Tom Fenton

Jack

Axle stand/s

19mm wheel brace to remove the wheel bolts

16 and 17mm spanner and socket to get off the lower arm pinch bolt

Hammer

35 or 36mm socket for the hub nut- you'll have to measure this to make sure as there are different sizes out there

Windy gun/long breaker bar

The shaft should just pull out of the gearbox by hand.

dk73

Thanks tom, you know everything, RESPECT.

jeremy

Also if you have an old steel rim with a tyre on it these are ideal to put on the hub after taking the original 1.6 wheel off then lowering the car back to the ground so that you can then undo the hub nut.

johny105_y2k

i always pop the centre cap out 1st and undo the hub nut prior to jacking the thing up.

i would also add a knocking stick and a large screwdriver/prybar

Tom Fenton
i always pop the centre cap out 1st and undo the hub nut prior to jacking the thing up.

That is a good point, as long as you haven't got the damn centreless wheels PSA seem to like........grr!

steve@cornwall
Also if you have an old steel rim with a tyre on it these are ideal to put on the hub after taking the original 1.6 wheel off then lowering the car back to the ground so that you can then undo the hub nut.

I found a good dodge recently with a steel wheel (the type with holes apprx. 2p sized around the inner) using an impact socket on the hub nut with ratchet bar, place the end of the long socket extension bar through one of the holes in the wheel and bring the ratchet handle back against the extension bar as far as it will allow . Using the vfree end of the extension bar as a lever pull down hard (or stand on it and exert as much pressure as poss) Should shift your hub nut, but may well break a cheap ratchet, or split a non-impact socket

Don't forget to knock back the staking on the nut first, so I'd add a precision cold chisel to your list of tools.

Are you replacing the shaft or removing it to replace the driveshaft seal? If the latter, I'd leave the dreaded hub nut alone (you need a new one, too when putting it back together) undo the bottom hub / wishbone pinch bolt, crack the balljoint on the track rod end and just pull the whole assembly towards you, being careful not to pull the inner cv apart

dk73

Driveshaft seal. :wub:

steve@cornwall
Driveshaft seal. :wub:

I'd just pull it out the way as above then :lol:

Phil H

If it's a 1.9 does he not need to jack up and remove wheel then remove the split pin on the end of the driveshaft?

number2301

Depends if it's a castellated nut and split pin or a staked hub nut, my old driveshaft was the former, the new one the latter.

Alastairh
If it's a 1.9 does he not need to jack up and remove wheel then remove the split pin on the end of the driveshaft?

Correct, if its there. When the wheel is off doing this you can remove the centre cap from the back of the wheel tapping it through with the likes of a screw driver handle and means you won't damage the paint work on the rim.

Al

Edited by Alastairh

Sign in to follow this