• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
dan_cole69

[engine_work] Turning My 1.4 Cj To A 1.9 Cti

dan_cole69

Ok from the top.......

In august (possibly june or july) a friend of mine asked me to take him to go buy a 205. I agreed because, well i had nothing better to do and i loved all 205's and was interested in seeing what he was getting himself into. The car was in great condition and was a real bargin.

About a month later he decided he wanted to sell it as insurance on two cars was too expensive so i played hard ball with him and got it even cheaper. i was well chuffed :D .

post-12953-1232960537_thumb.jpg

I enjoyed the rest of my summer with the car and spent hours polishing and fixing bits that neaded doing on it but i always had the sinking feeling that there just wasnt enough power/torque.

So while i was round a old friends house (fellow 205 enthusiast) he other me a 1.9 GTI engine for free! i was in really good condition (inside) as loads of work had been carried out on it. it just needed a clean and a paint, easy for a begginer like me :( . So here it is...

post-12953-1232960575_thumb.jpg

post-12953-1232960602_thumb.jpg

So now i will begin the cleaning and start sourcing parts that i need to do the conversion, so far my list is: cambelt kit, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, ecu, wiring loom, fan belt, clutch, oil, headbolts, gti water bottle, engine mounts, full gti exhuast system, gti fuel pump, fuel tank, fuel lines, subframe, arb, wishbones and much more. :)

I will keep you posted

Dan

dan_cole69

Ok next began the stripping a cleaning and painting.

First I removed the head:

post-12953-1232961515_thumb.jpg

and cleaned it

post-12953-1232961794_thumb.jpg

and painted it

post-12953-1232961861_thumb.jpg

Nex task is to tackle the block. But only when i get time to do so. I have also changed my mind about the rocker cover and i am going to now get it powder coated while my gearbox is being shotblasted.

I will update soon

Dan

p.s I apoligise to the moderators for my cock up on the first post, dont know why two came up. I have closed one of them so it can be removed. thankyou

t16ryan

Nice thats my old car, had it for about 4 years :(

dan_cole69

Just a quick update

Tryed drilling my snapped headbolt out of the block today but didnt go so well. i haven't wrecked it just need to drill the lot out, re tap and helicoil it. If anyone has had any experience is this sort of area advice would be much apprieciated as i am s*itting myself B) .

Also my stuff from the powder coaters still isn't ready so will have to wait till next wednesday, as soon as i get it, the pics will be on.

Cheers Dan

Edited by dan_cole69

ALEX

I've been down this path myself.

Painting the engine isn't a good idea, as you'll be disapionted come the first winter. The best finish is glass bead blasting IMO.

(Unless it was me who got really unlucky twice with crap paint)

Removing the broken head bolt is a hard job, ideally you need a pillar drill to drill it out straight and central.

After spending 6 hours on one and making a right mess, I've learnt it would be bettter to let an engineer sort it out for you for £20-£30.

It means stripping the bottom end though.

dan_cole69

thanks Alex for the reply

I do have a pillar drill so im just gonna go for it :lol: If i mess up then i will just have to buy a new block. <_<

I didnt really understand what you was getting at about the paint. I know it wont last forever but it will look good for a couple of weeks.

Thanks for the advice and i will let you know if you was right about the headbolt or not.

cheers dan

welshpug

is the head bolt snapped flush with the deck?

dan_cole69
is the head bolt snapped flush with the deck?

yeah virtually.

There is a small lip on a small part of the edge.

Why? What are you thinking?

cheers Dan

welshpug

get an M10 nut, weld it on the top, get it niiice and cherry (i.e fill the hole in the middle right up)

then you can pop a socket on the top and wiggle it back and forth, IIRC the bottom of the headbolt is visible, clean this part, and what I have heard that does help is to heat the block up with a blowtorch where the bolt goes in, no need to heat up the top part as there isnt any thread at the top inch or so I think.

personally I wouldn't try and drill it out totally as you have to be very accurate to avoid damaging the block, but uoi could drill the top and use an eeze out.

dan_cole69
get an M10 nut, weld it on the top, get it niiice and cherry (i.e fill the hole in the middle right up)

then you can pop a socket on the top and wiggle it back and forth, IIRC the bottom of the headbolt is visible, clean this part, and what I have heard that does help is to heat the block up with a blowtorch where the bolt goes in, no need to heat up the top part as there isnt any thread at the top inch or so I think.

personally I wouldn't try and drill it out totally as you have to be very accurate to avoid damaging the block, but uoi could drill the top and use an eeze out.

Hey that might just work! :lol: .

Nice one welshpug. Im gonna give that a go this weekend.

I will let you know how I get on.

If it works I will be forever in your debt <_< .

cheers Dan

welshpug

use a mig turned up, most should get it nice and hot <_<

dan_cole69

Update time!

So i tryed welshpug's idea of try welding m10 nuts on and turning it out, however this didn't work and just snapped at the bottom nut :P ,

I have now began drilling through the bolt and am glad to say with the help of my trusty old pillar drill its getting there.

I also went and picked up my powder coated rocker cover and shot blasted gearbox i was very pleased with them and im going to defently going to get my wheels done when the engine is in. :wub:

post-12953-1234125515_thumb.jpg

I also got my subframe which is looking a little dirty, so i will begin cleaning it very soon,

post-12953-1234125886_thumb.jpg

I will have the head bolt out next by week hopefully, and will have the subframe refurbished by the weekend.

cheers dan

Edited by dan_cole69

dan_cole69

Time for an update!

well the headbolt is completly out thanks to alot of patience and help from my Dad,

So the engine is ready to go back together as soon as i have cleaned the inside with parrafin,

I have completely refurbed the subframe. I am well chuffed with it,

post-12953-1235170847_thumb.jpg

I have also cleaned and painted the rest of the block,

post-12953-1235170959_thumb.jpg

I also would like to say thanks for martin for helping me out with loads of advice and answering my stupid questions :ph34r: ,

so next is to put the engine back together and then start to take the old engine out

Cheers Dan

dan_cole69

Ok then, Done loads over the past couple of days.......

first me and some mates started by ripping all the interior out in the end it looked like this,

post-12953-1235760751_thumb.jpg

however we were stumped by the top of the dash (red) i have undone every screw/nut put cant get it out any ideas?

also when i removed the carpet i discovered this (blue) not really sure why or what its for?

post-12953-1235761039_thumb.jpg

Next we took the engine out it took quite a long time because i was labeling EVERYTHING! B)

From This,

post-12953-1235761205_thumb.jpg

To This,

post-12953-1235761284_thumb.jpg

Still got loads to do cant wait till there is some sunlight at night!

cheers dan

hoody_g

To get the dash out remove your wind screen wipers and the plastic scuttle grill off. You will find three bolts i think undo them and the dash should slide out.

HTH

Graeme

DaveW

Good stuff, you might want to fit gti shocks on it otherwise it might be sitting on the deck!

dan_cole69
Good stuff, you might want to fit gti shocks on it otherwise it might be sitting on the deck!

already on it. Gonna order my gaz shocks tommorow :D .

Edited by dan_cole69

DaveW

And rears? its got a 19mm arb from a gti just dont make it too harsh..

dan_cole69

Update,

So been working really hard cleaning and sand the engine bay to get all the oil and rust off,

also got the rest of the dash out,

and then the loom,

I have also painted the engine bay in red oxide like all the other parts on the car :) , This car will never go rusty again!

pictures speak a thousand words,

post-12953-1236860993_thumb.jpg

post-12953-1236861013_thumb.jpg

post-12953-1236861027_thumb.jpg

dan_cole69

Well its been a while but it feels like im finally getting somewhere :lol:

So i have been doing bits when i can and working a lot so haven't had time to post.

this is what I have done so far:

Painted the engine bay

post-12953-1238876763_thumb.jpg

Added my Subframe

post-12953-1238876841_thumb.jpg

Sorted my engine bay wiring which took hours and put my water bottles in

post-12953-1238876939_thumb.jpg

So what do you think? Next task is to get my head round the dash wiring ( so there will be a question on here soon :D )

and swap my fuel tanks over. Oh and finish the engine!

Cheers Dan

omega

very nice good work

dan_cole69

Hi there,

Time For a update I think,

So I have swapped my original fuel tank for a gti fuel tank.

And now im just about getting somewhere with the interior wiring but still looks a mess!

post-12953-1243788733_thumb.jpg

And my engine is now in im glad to say it took a while but was alot easier than I thought it was going to be, here is some pics,

post-12953-1243788820_thumb.jpg

post-12953-1243788839_thumb.jpg

More to come soon need to start plumbing it in!

cheers dan