• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
24seven

Driveshafts Into Gearbox

24seven

ok so I've had the box off and found that the clutch is completely undamaged, which I wasn't expecting. instead the halfshaft has slipped out and chewed its teeth at the ends. Am I right in thinking that there's a circlip in the box itself to prevent the shafts being able to slide in/out (both of the boxes I have here don't seem to have anything like this, but I'm sure I remember there being a clip of some sort making it difficult to get the shafts out of the old box)?

I know the halfshaft bearing should prevent it from moving, but on the passenger side what's to prevent that shaft sliding in/out of the diff a little other than the other end being attached to the wheel?

MerlinGTI
what's to prevent that shaft sliding in/out of the diff a little other than the other end being attached to the wheel?

Nothing. Not on the BE1 anyway, no circlips.

welshpug

there's a spring inside the inner tripod joint, this is all there is putting pressure on the shaft to hold it in, BUT, even without thaqt the shaft cannot come out if all is well with the wishbone.

24seven

hmm. ok, thanks. no idea how the half shaft has come free and eaten itself. I think I'm gonna put the old box back on save messing around trying to change parts between them. I don't think the diff itself has been damaged, but it's not really worth the risk. They're both 1.6 boxes anyway.

one last question. are the half shafts from the 205 1.6 and 309 gti shafts interchangeable? I can get some spare shafts, but they're off a 309. if I can just swap the half shaft over life would be a lot easier :)

chris-stdt

309 gti shafte wont go into a 1.6 hub as the 1.9 has a thicker shaft at the hub end not sure about the gearbox end though ,i think the 309 shaft will be longer too

24seven

I mean the half shaft only. the bit that goes along the back of the engine. It has the same gearbox fitting, but I'm just wondering if it'll mate to the 1.6 outer shaft on the drivers side. I'd go and check but don't have the 2 parts here.

Sign in to follow this