• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
humanz

My Indicators Are Acting Up

humanz

Whenever I turn on my lights, all the nearside indicators light up steadily. They're just on, not flashing, just steady. They don't appear to be at full brightness either. The other lights work as they should. When I activate the indicators, they work as they should, but when I cancel them, they go back to steadily on. I've tried a different lights stalk, but the same thing happens. Any suggestions? I figure something's crossed, but what I don't know. Whenever I disconnect one of the wires associated with the indicators, all of the indicators stop working.

Mikey S

check the two earth points on the headlamp panel at the front of the car. if you remove the headlights and look into the aperture its on the left hand side on the passenger side and visa versa on the drivers side.

usually cleaning them all up and replacing the wiring connectors will sort out your problem.

hth

mike.

humanz
check the two earth points on the headlamp panel at the front of the car. if you remove the headlights and look into the aperture its on the left hand side on the passenger side and visa versa on the drivers side.

usually cleaning them all up and replacing the wiring connectors will sort out your problem.

hth

mike.

Actually, turned out to be the earth point by the NS rear taillight. A little sanding to remove some overspray and the problem cleared up. And to think I spent most of the morning checking the wires, and the connectors.

Cheers.

humanz

Ok, the problem didn't clear up. I've gotten a multimeter, and I've been doing some continuity tests. I've realised that there seems to be continuity between pins 5 and 7 in connector G at the fuseboard, as well as continuity between the wires 64 and 49 running to the NSR taillight. Is this supposed to be this way? What other tests should I check for using the multimeter? I really need this problem licked, as it's the only thing stopping me from putting the car back on the road.

humanz

Ok, that last post may be a bit confusing as I was sleepy. Too bad there's editing a few days later isn't possible. Anyhow, I still haven't resolved this problem.

The ground points by the lights have all been cleaned up, and seem to check out. The next option will be to replace the connectors at the rear ground point (front ones have already been done).

The wires from the fuseboard to the rear lights were swapped with known good wires and the problem still existed.

I swapped the fuseboard with one I had spare and the problem was still there.

I've tried another lights stalk, but the problem still exists.

To do

Check the ground points in the passenger compartment.

Try a spare set of wires from the stalk to the fuseboard.

Is there anything I'm overlooking?

humanz

Well, I guess I neglected to check my ability to follow Pugtorque's ph2 light conversion guide on the main website. As I was bored, I decided to check the connectors attached to the N/S rear light for the number plate, fog and reverse lights. Turns out, they were connected incorrectly. When I corrected them correctly, the other lights were out of whack. Turns out, those were corrected incorrectly.

As I'd pretty much made up my own looms for these lights, and had to work with the few spare wires I had, I made a few connection errors. Guess there's something to be said about having the right tools to do the job.

In my defense though, the article on the main website has a few notable errors and vague points.

Problem rectified.