• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
macaroni

Power To The Sad?

macaroni

Hi,

I think I have trouble with my SAD. The car won't idle from cold for about 2 mins, then idles fast till warm then settles down to about 1000rpm.

I changed the SAD for a supposed working one and nothing has changed.

The "new" one does shut more quickly and the whole isn't as big as the old one when cold.

I put a multimeter on the connection to the SAD and turned the ignition on and the reading was 0V. Should this have a voltage across it when the ignition is on?

Any help gratefully received.

Cheers,

Antony

welshpug

should be a constant 12v (ignition fed) <_<

I can't remember exactly where its earthed, something tells me its through another component rather than direct to earth.

did you test between the 2 terminals on the plug or from the terminal to earth?

grandos

You can also change the length of time the SAD opens if it doesn't keep it idling for long enough.

There is nut/bolt on the unit which you loosen, then with a small screwdriver you can gently move the small pie shaped opening so that you can see the full shape. Then tighten the bolt and use a 12V supply and check how long it takes to close and bob your uncle as they say!

I had two different SAD's both with different size openings and thought i'd check!

macaroni

Welshpug, I measured the current across both terminals on the connector. Am I a numpty?

I'll try it across an earth.

grandos, that would explain the different sized holes in the 2 different SADs. The old one wouldn't completely shut after 5 mins, whereas the new one did.

Cheers.

Mikey S

the sad, ecu, afm and tachymetric relay all earth in the same place according to the wiring diagrams.

it picks up its live from the ecu, as do the injectors, afm etc, via wire 9.

if you have no voltage with your meter across both terminals of the plug. try it with the earth probe on the negative terminal of the battery. if you then have voltage at the plug, do a continuity test between the plug and the battery negative terminal. it should show no resistance. im sure the earths run to the top of the gearbox.

if theres still no live, you need to get back into the loom and find the problem wire. im sure it runs through the dreaded brown multiplug, so that might be a good place to start.

hth

mike.

CosKev

Pretty sure the 12v supply to the SAD won't make any difference to your cold start probs anyway <_<

The 12v supply just heats up the element in the SAD and helps it close up.

If your SAD was holding your fast idle for too long then the 12v supply would help you ;)

Greg205

Cheerrs, that's a good article.

Sign in to follow this