• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

4wd/awd 205 - Which Engine/powertrain?

M@tt

If someone were to say try and convert a 205 into a 4wd turbocharged/supercharged beast what would be peoples realistic suggestions be as to a suitable donor vehicle in terms of engine and drive train?

I'm discoutning the mi16 4x4 as these these are like rocking horse s*it so any other much more readily available suggestions?

I know someone did it with a Supra once but anymore??

it got me thinking after seeing deans thread about his mk2 golf with a rs32 lump in it which lead me onto googling it which resulted in a clip of a 500bhp mk2 golf with an audi s2 engine in it which was just mental!!

Edited by M@tt

Baz

Mi16x4 stuff would be viable of course, and not that hard to get hold of, i have a good set of running gear spare for instance!! :)

I think the way to go is ford running gear for ease and reliability, availability and interchange-ability is good too. Wouldn't be that difficult to essentially put a sierra floorpan/running gear under a 205 shell, with a YB turbo lump the possibilities of major power are pretty much endless!

Baz
it got me thinking after seeing deans thread about his mk2 golf with a rs32 lump in it which lead me onto googling it which resulted in a clip of a 500bhp mk2 golf with an audi s2 engine in it which was just mental!!

Dahlback Golf Mk4?

They do some pretty mental things to VAGs!

Batfink

duratec rwd would be easy, lightweight and good F/R balance

Baz

Christ that's pretty cool!

The 205 equivalnt would be awesome, I want!!

but what would it be...

M@tt

exaclty!!! videos like that are potentially very bad for my wallet :)

Cloverleaf

I've seen a Subaru Impreza powered quad..... :)

Ryan

I think a Subaru flat-4 is just narrow enough to fit between the chassis legs. Mount the engine so that the front diff is in roughly the same place as the 205, and make some driveshafts using 205 outers and Subaru inners.

At the rear I seem to remember someone saying that 106 front hubs can be made to fit the trailing arms, so you just need to make a cage to hold the diff and some more driveshafts - unless you wanted to graft in the whole Subaru rear suspension.

danpug

That golf is nuts! I'm not a big fan of them but i'll take that one any day!

bensonmi
That golf is nuts! I'm not a big fan of them but i'll take that one any day!

some one needs to build a similar 205! has any one out there made a proper t16 replica??

that dahlback mk4 tho is even more of a beast,it rips its tyres of the rims iirc! but we shouldnt be seen biggin up the vw boys :)

Baz
some one needs to build a similar 205! has any one out there made a proper t16 replica??

What's the point, you could go and buy a real one for less than it'd cost to build a proper replica!

there's a couple of Cosworth 4x4 powered ones about iirc, aswell as a few Mi16x4 running gear ones.

M@tt

been having a read up i and i reckon its got to be either a cosworth 4x4 or Audi S2/RS2 but finding the bits is either tricky or expensive!! :lol:

Need a cheap easily avaialiable solution (unless i've been looking in the wrong places)

Rippthrough

How much 205 do you want left and how big's the budget.....

Bonzai

celica gt4 st185 donor?

Henry Yorke

Easier to do a 306 with Sapphire Cosworth running gear. The wheelbase is almost the same, though you need the wider arches to cover the track.

It was Hilgie who suggested the 106 hubs as I believe this is what Dangel use for their conversions.

There is also a lad in the Cornish group of the PSOOC with a V6 which was 4x4 as well

Goliath

I don't see why you are discounting mi16x4 running gear. Its not as expensive as you may think (I have a set you can have for a couple of hundred) plus with a turbocharged mi16 you will see a very healthy power figure.

I was speaking 'briefly' to Miles at last years Pugfest and he said that standard mi16x4 running gear would withstand about 250bhp on a 205 (I'm pretty sure he said 250) and if you could get it strengthened then you could run a lot more.

I reckon an mi16Tx4 would set you back about £2k :ph34r:

Get to it!

Baz

You mean a T16x4, which is what the 405 T16's were anyway? (4x4) :ph34r:

Goliath

No I did actually mean a normal Mi16 as the T16 ARE hard to come by :ph34r:

But yeh it would essentially be a T16, just using a turbo'd Mi lump and running gear (which are quite different to the T16 ones IIRC?)

Either would do though :)

DRTDVL
I've seen a Subaru Impreza powered quad..... :ph34r:

There is/was one that a kiwi guy built... i remember him driving it around when i was following the rally down here one year

Arahan

celica gt4 st185 donor?

I always had that in my head if i ever won the lottery! GT4 engine and running gear, lovely!

Edited by Arahan

Miles

One area I don;t know if the transfer box's are different between the Mi16x4 and T16, The splines out of the transfer box are the weak point but the rest of it is strong, Just remember is you use this your having PUCH tecno fitted in your car as found on the Panda x4 :o

omega

cheap4x4 cavalier

Hilgie
One area I don;t know if the transfer box's are different between the Mi16x4 and T16, The splines out of the transfer box are the weak point but the rest of it is strong, Just remember is you use this your having PUCH tecno fitted in your car as found on the Panda x4 :P

The transferbox of Mi16x4 and T16 are the same, gearbox is different though. But true, the splines are a weak point. There is a Finnish company who makes a stronger alternative.

Mandic
The transferbox of Mi16x4 and T16 are the same, gearbox is different though.

Sun gear is different. Not sure about the left and right covers, but main casing is different, it also has R stamped on it.

Cheers

Ziga