• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pete1986

New Exhaust System Time

pete1986

I know it's been covered before, lads, and i have searched.

Right, its time for a new exhaust system. I want it in good quality stainless steel, well-made and to sound grunty, not too loud though.

I know everyone says "get a phase 2 system", but i like my 205 to have a good soundtrack. ;):) Im not expecting any bhp gains, i just want something that will last and sound good.

Anyway, so which is better a DES Grp A system with centre box, or a Magnex?

Theres only about £30-40 difference, with DES being the cheaper. However, with Magnex going into administration, stockists are selling them a bit cheaper i think.

welshpug

IMO, a DES system every time ;) sound good, not too loud, proven in competition :)

GLPoomobile

DES looks better with the subtle tail pipe. No idea on lifespan as not had one long enough, but I'm happy with the quality and construction. Magnex ones seem to have a bit of a rep for the baffles rattling after a while.

Take advantage of the free fitting if you go for the DES one, as fitting it yourself will involve cutting and modifying to fit, and it's a ball ache. The front pipe supplied is designed to be cut to length and welded on the downpipe I think (I cut mine and used a pipe joiner, which is unfortunately not a perfect fit on mine due to the odd pipe sizes).

supersub14

I remember asking the exact same question this time last year lol

I ended up going for a 3" inwardly rolled full stainless steel Piper system (mainly cos its what my local auto shop sold). Good and loud when your flooring it, but just a subtle droan (not an annoying one) when your crusing along the motorway. Its def a meater sound than the Magnex.

Cant compare with the DES tho as ive never heard or seen one :)

pete1986

Okay, DES jobbie is sounding like the best option. However i dont really think its worth a 350 mile round trip just for free fitting. Plus the reason im looking for a new exhaust system, is that my backbox fell of on sunday and it is deafeningly loud at the moment. :)

Im running one of Miles's 4-2-1 mainifolds, will it still be a pain in the ar$e to join?

GLP (or anyone else), could you post up a photo of it fitted please?

mattmk1

Whats the price on the DEs systems out of interest, there website doesnt seem to list them?

S@m

Not sure id go for Piper, their tagline is "More sound for you Pound", so if you just want that then its all good. Id go for DES or OMP or maybe Supersprint, have had good experiences with the latter two in the past. Also Prospeed custom exhausts in cardiff are very good if you cant get an off the shelf system!

Sam

ravydavy

Hi I've just bought the group A system with the extra middle box for sound control and it cost either 310 or 320 can't remember which. But about there anyway. If you can wait a few days I'll tell you how it goes

Regards David

Miles

Sorry but all this Group A and N is really rubbish and goes back a long way with Rallying on 8v 205's, What is Group N and what is Group A? as the rules change most years and with Group N normally it's a license to sell std parts at a higher cost, not all cases but quite allot. A part is either designed to suit 'X' with 'X' amount of DB's, Bit of a rant I know but almost a pet hate of mine.

The best system to run with the manifold is a 2 1/4" system anything less is restrictive, I can supply one either Mild or Stainless steel which is a direct fit but will have to check the cost

Simes
Im running one of Miles's 4-2-1 mainifolds, will it still be a pain in the ar$e to join?

Not really - I've got one of those mated to a magnex system, I've been running it for a few years now.

Funiily enough I've got a OE system ready to go on.

Batfink

I've got a magnex system in my dads garage in watford. Joined to a standard downpipe but with a bit of heat that can come off and join to your setup.

Can't say I want it so you can have that instead at a good price.

kev

ravydavy

I think the difference between the DES group N and the group A is the group N system is 2 1/4 inch and the A is 2 1/2 inch. I know where your coming from miles. But we still buy the stuff. Were like magpies to shiny bits.

Guest JAC

Hi from Sydney Australia...This is my first post so be gentle B)

I've got an '87 205 GTi over here thats in dire need of a new exhaust manifold...

At some point the original was replaced with a set of extractors which have rusted out..

The rest of the system looks standard as far as I can tell..

I'm having a huge amount of trouble finding a set of replacement extractors down here in Oz...

even a standard exhaust manifold has been almost impossible to find..

Does anyone know of a company that ships overseas from the UK?

I called Roadrunner and EuroPerformance (?)...They stocked the remaining Magnex systems but unfortunately have none left for the 205...

Getting kinda desperate now as my cars been off the road now for 8 weeks..!

Any help much appreciated

regards

JohnC

Batfink

john. I think you would have to pay a lot for an aftermarket manifold to Aus, A standard one would be easier.

Supersprint make one, I was eyeing up their manifold today

platty

What do you GTI-6 fellas run?

Im looking for a complete system, I like the longevity that stainless provides, but I really don't want a loud exhaust by any means. Im too old for all that now.

pete1986

In the wake of DES Development's closure, I've been looking around for places to make up a similar system. I managed to find a place pretty local to me called Autowise. I remember a mate of mine had an exhaust made up there for his 205 a while back, the quality of work looked really good. The Burgess Hill branch is only doing exhausts untill the end of the month as the exhaust maker is leaving. If anyone else is interested they also have branches in Eastbourne, Hastings and Polegate.

So my 205 is booked in on the 20th, they're going to make up a stainless system with a centre box and back box with a tastefull, outwardly rolled tail pipe. I told him that i had been recomended to go for a 2"1/4 bore all the way (as per Miles' comment above), but he said that i should stick with 2". Which should I go for?

Edited by pete1986

platty

Well whatever you go for, I'll be interested in the results as I want a custom stainless exhaust in the coming months.

Matteo

Right last week I fitted a new stainless steel manifold, as mine was cracked.

dscf2592au7.jpg

I bought it from Belgium

Click here

I am very happy with them :-))

Sign in to follow this