• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Bogsye

1.9 Engine Type

Bogsye

I've meant to check this for ages!!

One of you eagle-eye lot spotted that my 1.9 seemed to have an earlier tin-type cambelt cover when I posted up a photo, asking about the green plug - which turned out to be diagnostics.

A bit more research shows it's a 130bhp D6B type engine, as opposed to the 122bhp Cat engine that it should be. The car was registered on 24th December 2002, so it just preceeds the requirement of a cat. There's definitely a cat still fitted.

My questions are:

1) Is there a different ECU for the cat equiped cars, and if it is, could I swap to it, and ditch the cat?

2) Is there a mechanical difference between the engines? Cam profile, etc.....?

Any help appreciated :)

Cheers,

Brian

Edited by Bogsye

Anthony

Compression is lower (9.2:1 on CAT engine, 9.6:1 on non-CAT) and CAT engine has a milder cam profile

ECU is different, but you can't simply swap it for the non-CAT ECU as the management is completely different (Motronic M1.3 on CAT, and Jetronic LE2 on non-CAT) and has different loom, AFM etc. Personally, I'd keep the CAT management, as it should adapt for fueling fine, and is a much more modern and well-behaved setup.

welshpug

does it have a Lambda?

Baz

2002? 10yrs post the cat requirements...

Bogsye

Thanks Anthony for the detailled response! :lol:

Well spotted Baz - It's not the newest 205 on the road - I should have put 1992 of course - :lol:

It certainly looks like I can't dicth the cat, which is a shame - I'll need it for the MOT.

Baz

Depends on the build date, pre or post Aug '92. Or the engine, Goodwoods for instance were all made in '91, but some were registered up to '94, none had a Cat. :lol:

supersub14

you could always do what i did -

remove the exhaust

on the top part of the cat casing (bit thats facing the underside of the car) cut a large tidy rectangular hole with a grinder

lift out insides of cat

replace lid and weld top back on

refit exhaust!

Maybe a bit rough but worked for me, and the MOT tester was none the wiser cos it still looked like the cat was on the exhaust. Passed all emissions tests to! :)

vickiw106
Compression is lower (9.2:1 on CAT engine, 9.6:1 on non-CAT) and CAT engine has a milder cam profile

ECU is different, but you can't simply swap it for the non-CAT ECU as the management is completely different (Motronic M1.3 on CAT, and Jetronic LE2 on non-CAT) and has different loom, AFM etc. Personally, I'd keep the CAT management, as it should adapt for fueling fine, and is a much more modern and well-behaved setup.

does anyone know what made the compression lower and why it was made lower

was it diffrent pistons, crank, head etc

thanks

Baz

Pistons iirc.

vickiw106
Pistons iirc.

sorry for being stupid whats iirc

thanks

supersub14

if i remember correctly

Sign in to follow this