• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Veero

Spring Weight, How To Find It?

205Rallee
Sorry 205Rallee I wasn't down talking SBC, just the website has no info on. Pretty busy this week too, dunno when I will be able to call them.

I would like to keep the billies if I can sort the spring rate out and make it more comfortable for the road but not if it's going to cost me hundreds for springs and new top mounts. Getting a Mazda Bongo in 2 weeks and that has taken all my money :)

No I didn't think you were, their website is Rubbish!

Mazda Bongo?Makes my Touran look like a Ferrari :)

SPGTi

If you do have tarmac inserts, sell them on and get some gravel ones. They are designed for use with 185lb springs. I have this set up on my Road Rally car and it is firm but not at all crashy. The ride is very good and potholes and speed humps can be driven over quite easily and quickly.

Steve

Veero
No I didn't think you were, their website is Rubbish!

Mazda Bongo?Makes my Touran look like a Ferrari :huh:

Haha, nah really it's awesome. Also handy as a tow vehicle.

Veero

Right going to try some 306 GTi6 struts on my standard top mounts with some drop springs to match the rear beam.

I will keep the Billies, and try and find some gravel inserts. Priority at the moment is to get the car comfy on the raods round 'ere.

Edited by Veero

Veero

Just fitted some 306 GTi6 front struts on drop springs and it's sooo much more compliant on the road, tracking is a mile out so just went round the block. Steering is lighter, it doesn't crash over small bumps and the suppleness is back and nice. Will give it a good road test when the tracking is done, but if it;s as good on the open road as it does on the little roads, I may have the perfect setup as far as I'm concerned.

Rear end is still quite stiff. Anyone know anything about KYB dampers? Mine are red and seem to be uprated but I have no idea what spec they are, just that the rear seems more damped than the front now. I have a pair of 306 GTi6 rear dampers which I might try in the week.

Pleasurable driving is back :lol:

kilauea

Do the KYB dampers have dials on them? I have KYB AGX adjustables and they are painted red. Although thinking of going for Bilstein OE soon as like you my car has morphed from a toy to regular transport. So out with the grp N top rubbers, lower engine mount and grp A rear mounts too (and in with some sound insulation!).

petert
The formula in reality doesn't work that well because the Modulus of Spring Steel varies so much - although it gives a rough guide +/- around 10%.

Not sure where you read that. I thought it only varied a few percent ie 203-207 GPa .

I use this spring calc.:

http://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/c...pring_k_pop.htm

I run 340lb springs on my track car but have had the Bilsteins revalved to suit. It's not as harsh as it sounds, even with solid mounts.

Edited by petert

Rob Thomson
They were bought off Rob Thomson a fair while ago and I think he had planned on using them on some track weapon so I think the springs are quite stiff.

If it's any help, I bought the Bilsteins from Jon Murgatroyd who had used them on his track car. I'm sure you'll be able to find some more info in his old posts on here.

Batfink
Not sure where you read that. I thought it only varied a few percent ie 203-207 GPa .

I use this spring calc.:

http://www.engineersedge.com/calculators/c...pring_k_pop.htm

I run 340lb springs on my track car but have had the Bilsteins revalved to suit. It's not as harsh as it sounds, even with solid mounts.

Peter

Do you use slicks?

I will be for my race car so was looking for at least 400lb but am undecided as to whether thats hard enough

Veero
Do the KYB dampers have dials on them? I have KYB AGX adjustables and they are painted red. Although thinking of going for Bilstein OE soon as like you my car has morphed from a toy to regular transport. So out with the grp N top rubbers, lower engine mount and grp A rear mounts too (and in with some sound insulation!).

No I don't think they are adjustable. These are them:

DSC00288.jpg

kilauea

weird them, i'd guess at excel-g's (OE but Gas so a bit stiffer than OE) but they have always been black bodied as far as I know.

petert
Peter

Do you use slicks?

I will be for my race car so was looking for at least 400lb but am undecided as to whether thats hard enough

Semi-slicks.

Just experiment. Small springs on coil overs are cheap enough and easy to change. Find a local spring maker. Once you're happy buy the correct size in a well known brand.

Edited by petert