• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
supersub14

What Spring Clamps To Buy?

supersub14

Was wondering what spring clamps yous would recommend i purchase? Ive got a few cars to lower this spring/summer so need a set.

Keep hearing everyone saying their a waste of money cos they always break or dont catch the spring properly.

Anyone point me in the right direction? :lol:

jimistdt

I have heard that the Draper ones are of reasonable quality, although I have not used them myself.

Goliath

I have a set which were from screwfix I think, they work fine for me and haven't broken yet!

M@tt

i've got a set of draper ones, worked fine on all the shocks i've done

if' you've got access to an impact gun don't bother putting compressors on to dissassemble the strut, just lie the strut on the floor , with the hub end against the wall, put your foot on the end/over the top pan/or chuck a blanket over the end to act as a damper and whizz the strut nut off . Just use the compressors to reassemble it.

If you haven't got a impact gun then you'll need to use the compressors to dissassemble it as you're likely to injusre your hands doing it slowly with a spanner and allen key

HTH

supersub14

looks like draper ones it is then! :lol:

Tom Fenton
if' you've got access to an impact gun don't bother putting compressors on to dissassemble the strut, just lie the strut on the floor , with the hub end against the wall, put your foot on the end/over the top pan/or chuck a blanket over the end to act as a damper and whizz the strut nut off . Just use the compressors to reassemble it.

You rough b@st@rd!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've also got the draper ones, have always done the job for me too.

supersub14
if' you've got access to an impact gun don't bother putting compressors on to dissassemble the strut, just lie the strut on the floor , with the hub end against the wall, put your foot on the end/over the top pan/or chuck a blanket over the end to act as a damper and whizz the strut nut off .

yeah i thought of doing this lol.

But knowing me the spring would fly across the garage, bounce off 3 walls and smack me in the head :lol:

M@tt

Tom i'll give you a master class in the M@tt shortcut way of doing thing's i'll know you'll be impressed :)

Tbh they really don't fly off that hard, but i wouldn't want my hand right infront of it if you know what i mean. i usually use my foot but if its looks like a particualrly meaty spring then a heavy blanket with wrapped around the end with a little hole in the middle for the socket to go through works a treat. Loads quicker than faffing around with the compressors :lol:

Tom Fenton

It sounds like I've a lot to learn!!!!

welshpug

one problem with Matt's method, you can often not get the spring compressors over enough coils in one go when they're off the strut, so you wont be able to get the spring back on!

not an issue if you have 2 pairs of spring compressors though...

supersub14
Those are the worst kind of spring compressor you can get, they come of the spring when things get tight. I could've sold you mine for less than the ebay auction as I replaced them with some decent ones;

B0001KA0JU.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

If anyone can do it, Kris can't. :lol:

Graham.

Graham,

are the ones in your 4th post in this link the ones you recommed or don't recommed?

I bought some which look exactly the same as the draper ones, but a little cheaper on ebay - they were about the cheapest I could find anyway a few weeks ago. Used them last weekend and they worked fine (once I'd got the hang of how I was meant to use them!). About 12 quid.

pug_ham
Graham,

are the ones in your 4th post in this link the ones you recommed or don't recommed?

The ones in the picture below are the ones I recommend which are the Draper ones also mentioned in this topic.

B0001KA0JU.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Graham.

supersub14

cheers lads for the info

thanks graham. yeah did a search and seen that draper did two different types of clamps. just wanna make sure that i get the right ones :)

all thats left now is for me to lose a finger lol

boombang

I've had a pair similar to those shown in pics above slip off and break a knuckle. f***ing hurt and I would never use two again, but always three of them to try to even out the load a touch.

Could see the threaded section bending under strain of the spring, in the end jsut slide sideways and popped off.

Edited by boombang

Greg205

I got a set (same as above) from halfords £12 with a trade card..Ain't broke..yet!

Edited by Greg205