• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Craigo

Water Pump Leaking Water!

Craigo

as title really, ran the car for 20 mins yesterday, then noticed small puddle under car, so jacked it up and it certainly looks like water is leaking from the water pump itself :lol:

its not loosing it rapidly, in fact its been stood for over a month and not leaking unless the engine is running, there was still some water in the expansion tank so i know it has not ran dry,

as long as the pump is still working, but leaking, is this ok? do we think there is a chance to fix it, or do i need a new water pump?

if i do need a new water pump, is it advisable to replace cambelt and fan belt at the same time?

anyone know the cheapest place to get the parts?

thanks in advance

craig

Anthony

It could be the waterpump gasket, but more than likely it's the pump itself - they're cheap enough that it's worth replacing it as a matter of course, and yes, unless it's been done recently you might as well do the cambelt and alternator belt at the same time (and check/replace the cambelt tensioner)

Pugnut

ideally you want to keep your cambelt dry and free from contaminants such as coolant, oil etc.

if your in there and are unsure of the age of other components it would be silly not to do the cambelt, cambelt tensioner(s) and alternator belt at the same time. all cost far less than a head full of bent valves.

it'll be safe to drive in the meantime while you source all the parts and prepare for the work, but dont drive silly.

I normally use GSF , but havent needed to for a while . I guess they are still the best place to go for this type of stuff?

Al

Craigo
ideally you want to keep your cambelt dry and free from contaminants such as coolant, oil etc.

if your in there and are unsure of the age of other components it would be silly not to do the cambelt, cambelt tensioner(s) and alternator belt at the same time. all cost far less than a head full of bent valves.

it'll be safe to drive in the meantime while you source all the parts and prepare for the work, but dont drive silly.

I normally use GSF , but havent needed to for a while . I guess they are still the best place to go for this type of stuff?

Al

would you define a track day as silly??? lol

S@m

I definetly wouldnt take my Mi to a track day if the water pump was leaking! probly would stick below 4000rpm all day, which means feck all power! You can pick up new waterpumps for less than £15, and new cambelt and tensioners for less than £30, so theres no excuse risking ur engine! Thats what i think anyway!

Sam

Craigo
I definetly wouldnt take my Mi to a track day if the water pump was leaking! probly would stick below 4000rpm all day, which means feck all power! You can pick up new waterpumps for less than £15, and new cambelt and tensioners for less than £30, so theres no excuse risking ur engine! Thats what i think anyway!

Sam

already on the case to get it sorted out!

where are those prices from??

my friend who works for peugeot can get genuine water pump, cambelt and tensioners for £80, and a mechanic friend is going to fit them for £40,

does this sound reasonable?

kyepan

doing a cam belt and water pump on an 8v is not that hard as access is pretty good. not sure if yours is an 8v or 16v.

You can get a new cambelt from GSF along with the tensioner /s (if 16v) water pump comes with a gasket, if not you can seal it in with sealent, that would probably work out cheaper than Pug unless your're getting decent discount.

40 quid sounds very cheap (too cheap) to be honest unless he as done many before and has it down to a fine art.

Budget 1 day for an MI to do it properly and check everything's right if you're a novice.

Second and third time around you could reduce this to a couple of hours.

J

Craigo

its a 1.6 gti, so 8v

the guy doing the work is a peugeot technician fully trained, also owns 3 205 gtis himself so knows his way around them rather well!! :)

S@m

Euro car parts stock waterpumps for £13.95 i believe and i spotted this timing kit on ebay for the 1.6 for £27.99.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peugeot-205-306-405-...%3A1|240%3A1318

Thats about what i said, most local motor factors will have similar prices surely? it did take a bit of searching to find these prices though, i based my estimates on the 2.0 8v Turbo engine i had just serviced, but it seems the 1.6 gti parts are more expensive! Anyways, thats what i have found!

Sam

Craigo
Euro car parts stock waterpumps for £13.95 i believe and i spotted this timing kit on ebay for the 1.6 for £27.99.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peugeot-205-306-405-...%3A1|240%3A1318

Thats about what i said, most local motor factors will have similar prices surely? it did take a bit of searching to find these prices though, i based my estimates on the 2.0 8v Turbo engine i had just serviced, but it seems the 1.6 gti parts are more expensive! Anyways, thats what i have found!

Sam

thanks for that mate, your a legend! :)

S@m

That belt kit is for late 205s though (92 onwards), earlier ones seem to be more expensive? anyone know why that is? I've never owned an XU5 so im not sure.

kyepan
its a 1.6 gti, so 8v

the guy doing the work is a peugeot technician fully trained, also owns 3 205 gtis himself so knows his way around them rather well!! :)

in that case, "barg" yes go for it

Sign in to follow this