• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Atari Boy

Picture And Advice Request About Bucket Seat Side Mount Fitting.

Atari Boy

I am going to be getting some bucket seats and I want them side mounted. I have read the thread about lowering the floor but would ideally like to avoid doing this if possible.

I am 6’1 and will be using a helmet, will I be able to get my seat low enough without dropping the floor? I don’t need to fit runners or anything else as I will only be using the car.

I propose to use Cobra Monaco seats if that is relevant.

My second request is for pictures of how people fit side mounts to the car, I am sure there good and bad ways, I want to avoid the latter.

Thanks

Jonny

Tom Fenton

Cobra Monaco are base mounted are they not?

Aside from that I don't think you'll get low enough, I'm also 6'1" and wearing a helmet without lowered seats is a no-no for me, as it left the top of my helmet above the rollcage.

engine killer

You can directly secure one side (the inside one) bracket on top of the exhaust tunnel, but the other side I guess you may have to fabricate an extra mounting bracket (extension) because most bucket seats ares much narrower than 205's seat.

engine killer

Aside from that I don't think you'll get low enough, I'm also 6'1" and wearing a helmet without lowered seats is a no-no for me, as it left the top of my helmet above the rollcage.

do you suffer banging your helmet to the roll cage frequently?

Atari Boy

There is an '09 'Pro' version which is now side mounted.

Tom Fenton
do you suffer banging your helmet to the roll cage frequently?

No, as we cut the floor out and got the seats right down low, no problem now.

SPGTi
My second request is for pictures of how people fit side mounts to the car, I am sure there good and bad ways, I want to avoid the latter.

There are loads of pictures of seat rails that have been welded into cars for side mounted seats. IMHO if you are going to the expense of bucket seats, then this is the only and best way to mount them. Trying to use the std mounting points is a compromise and they are not the strongest.

Steve

Baz

If you're going to use the std mounts in the car, then at least whip the carpet out and check the condition of them, and everything around them, they're prone to cracking, rust and general wear and tear. I'd be tempted to use a secondary nut on the bolts with a big washer too.

Heard some nasty horror stories resulting in poorly mounted seats in 205s.

Also, you'll have much less room above your head with a sunroof than without. Even without it's still tight for me (6'1) and Dad (6'3) although was a little better when i tilted my seat a little more. :lol:

philfingers

You definately don't want to go on top of the exhaust tunnel, it will be too high. Have a look at how I've done mine. Originally the car was built with seat rails welded direct to the sills and tunnel. This isn't correct. Have a bad shunt and it could rip the welds clean out. They should be mounted on 3mm thick plates if my memory is correct and 120sqcm minimum, although mine are over twice the area req. Mine are as low as you can get them (with in reason!) and still get use the whole cirecumference of the bar to the mounting point. the idea is that they are welded to the side of the car instead of teh floor in case the floor gets damaged. If you cut the plates and locate them, then tack the bars onto the plates. Then remove the bars with the plate at each end yopu can then weld the underneath, which you can't get too once it'as in the car. Then weld the plates in the car and then finish the other sides of the bar to plate weld. Ideally the bolt holes should be tubed, have small tubes welded in to stop the hole from crushing as the bolt is tightened, I've yet to do mine

http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z143/oi...%20Rally%20Car/

PS I'm not responsible for the welding in the first picture of the original crossmember. This was a B****** to grind out, hence I only took the drivers side out. Originally the drivers seat used the original crossmember for the front mounting, not good!

IMG_8988.jpg

IMG_8989.jpg

IMG_8991.jpg

IMG_8992.jpg

Edited by philfingers

Baz

Using the std mounts;

DSC00053.jpg

DSC00362.jpg

DSC00361.jpg

Atari Boy

Thanks chaps, really helpful. I have already been studying Philfingers’ images from previous threads, great work.

If you're going to use the std mounts in the car, then at least whip the carpet out and check the condition of them, and everything around them, they're prone to cracking, rust and general wear and tear. I'd be tempted to use a secondary nut on the bolts with a big washer too.

Heard some nasty horror stories resulting in poorly mounted seats in 205s.

Also, you'll have much less room above your head with a sunroof than without. Even without it's still tight for me (6'1) and Dad (6'3) although was a little better when i tilted my seat a little more. :lol:

Baz, you have offered me signs of hope, thank you :) . Are you saying that it is possible to use the standard mounts (assuming they are safe etc) and less than 6’3?

In you first picture it looks as though you could have gone one notch lower with the mounts, is this correct and is there space below for the bottom of the seat?

Baz

Yes, basically, although sunroof cars have less space above your head anyway!

Both those seats have gone one notch lower at the backs now, in effect tilting them a little yes. 205's are a bit of a pain in that std sidemounts like those are round the wrong way to mount on the std mounts, so dropping the seat more isn't always possible due to the design of the sidemounts, as there's an inward fold where the seat base needs to drop down. Also depending on the seat design, you'll notice the sidemounts could interfere with harness slots in the seats, hence you'll notice in the first pic in my grey car, the mounts are round the other way to the blue car, the 'wrong' way in effect! But i'm sure it doesn't really matter, whatever works for you and is safe & secure. :lol:

Edited by Baz

Atari Boy

Thanks Baz.

Time will tell, I ordered the seats and mounts today.

Edited by Atari Boy