• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
decoc182

Be Gearbox

decoc182

I have had a poke around this forum and the 106 and saxo forums and I think the best box for my 205 is the be4 series gearbox from the 1.6 picasso and 1.6 16v 307.

I have tried to find a guide on what is required to set it up etc, and dont seem to be able to find anything.

I understand I will need a custom LH gearbox mount (under batter) and a custom rear mount (where the driveshaft should go thru on the XU engines). I will also need custom linkage and clutch arm.

I believe that the be4 gearbox should bolt straight onto the TU engine, but needs XU engine driveshafts. On the saxo's/106's they have made custom driveshafts, but surely driveshafts from the 1.6gti and 1.9gti's should fit along with their hubs??

Ive got a 205 xr 1.4 with an ax gti (100bhp) engine going into it. I need a gearbox for it, but before I buy another MA, I just want know if it would be a good idea to get the be4 gearbox now.

Any help would be appreciated. If someone has done this before, could someone make a thread on the conversion???

I believe Sandy has done this conversion before?

Sorry for the mass questions

'Ja Blessing'

SPGTi

A friend did this on his 205 Rallye that he used as a stage rally car. He had a GTi subframe and drive shafts and used the complete gearstick and cables from the 306. It worked well and stood up to loads of abuse.

Steve

RossD

I don't think you will need a custom mount if you are putting the box in a 205. You'll need XU (GTi) driveshafts and the bearing carrier from the long driveshaft will have to come from the Picasso. (Although I'm looking into why - the current item on the 205 may work) You'll also need GTi hubs to accomodate the GTi shafts. The clutch cable will have to be re-routed, although I'm also looking into the possibility of using a BE1 clutch cable, I think this is similar to the BE4 setup. Then you'll have to sort out the linkages!

I'm planning to do this on my 205 sometime this year.... :)

decoc182

There is a 1.6 picasso engine and gearbox for sale on ebay for 175 with 33k on it. Worth picking it up to get all the extra bits???

Is the new be4 gearbox worth it? Ive heard the MA boxes are crap. Is it true you can take xsara VTS gears and FD and fit them to the be4??

So if I get the driveshafts to hubs from a scrappy, it should connect up straight away with the driveshaft mount?

decoc182

I mite have got hold of a complete 205 diesel thats running. Will the subframe from this suffice instead of a gti subframe?? What else would I need from it.... Steering rack...anything else??

RossD

Should do yes. The steering rack doesnt need to be changed.

Edited by RossD

drmo

MA and BE internals are nor interchangeble.

decoc182

and the tu engine should fit fine with a gti spec subframe. dont need to make any custom mounts do i??

RossD

You'll have to move the bottom mount where it attaches to the subframe, this is no biggy though as the holes are there waiting.... But otherwise should fit.