• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
springs

266mm Or 283mm Brakes For A Gti-6 Conversion?

springs

hi all..

I'm just wondering if it is worth sticking a set of gti-6 callipers onto my 205 when i get the gti-6 engine in the car.. i already have a set of 266mm from a 306 1.8 16v laying around the garage.

just asking as i was initially selling the gti brakes and already have a buyer, just need to tell him yes or no to if I'm selling them..

Thanks

DrSarty

Personally, unless you're seriously into motorsport and NEED evil, bitchin' anchors, I'd stick with std 1.9 brakes or similar with good pads; they're quite adequate even for fast road use IMO.

In addition these larger brakes are quite a bit heavier. I think it's a myth they're needed TBH, and Kyepan put 307HDI disks & calipers on his - so I felt the weight difference myself - and he told me he was gonna take them back off and revert to standard. I think Anthony's in agreement with me too.

Miles

Nothing wrong with a good set of 1.9 caliper's as there's no weight to the car, A example is a Kit car and the brakes they use are not that big, slightly extreme I know but unless you have a barge like mine then 4 pot's and huge disc's are a must

springs

if thats the case i might just stick with the 266 ones.. they didnt cost me much and i can get more for the gti-6 ones..

gti_al
Personally, unless you're seriously into motorsport and NEED evil, bitchin' anchors, I'd stick with std 1.9 brakes or similar with good pads; they're quite adequate even for fast road use IMO.

In addition these larger brakes are quite a bit heavier. I think it's a myth they're needed TBH, and Kyepan put 307HDI disks & calipers on his - so I felt the weight difference myself - and he told me he was gonna take them back off and revert to standard. I think Anthony's in agreement with me too.

In reality they are a step backwards. Changing back to a standard setup puts things in perspective! Who wants to stop really well, if it compromises steering and handling so badly?

As long as they can lock up on dry tarmac, i suspect you are better upgrading other things. And perhaps getting some good fluid and ducts to manage the heat

Baz

Heavy overkill IMO too. Good fluid and pads and you're away! :)

Spiky

GTI6 all the way,.,..

well someone had to be different. :)

my old brakes worked, but no where are good as my gti6 setup.

tagy

For another option.. I have got 283mm discs with 1.9 calipers, using the constella brake brackets.

Although I have not tried them properly yet, and the calipers need a little grinding down to get speedlines over them.

de Noir

283x26 307 combo is much heavier than GTI6 setup, I believe it affects handling a lot, especially on non-pas cars.

Some people here, including myself, went for 266x20 306S16 setup, this might be acceptable compromise between braking power and handling quality.

Edited by MH_

Alastairh

I would go for the 266mm set if you have them laying around personally.

Al

Peetypug

if i had my time again, i'd have gone for standard calipers with better disks and pads

what i am going to do though, is take the 266mm brakes off my 306 meridian and put mt gti6 brakes on that :)