• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Ray-Vonn

Carbon Bonnets

Ray-Vonn

Can anyone recommend a good supplier of Carbon Bonnets for the 205. I'm after a decent, strong, genuine lightweight one, rather than some cheapo thing just to make it look 'cool'.

Thanks

Cameron

Spoox make them, not sure on the quality but I imagine they're pretty good.

Cameron

I've already got a mould, but depends if you're after a standard or an auto one. :unsure:

Ray-Vonn
I've already got a mould, but depends if you're after a standard or an auto one. :unsure:

I'm after a standard one as I'm trying to keep the exterior looking fairly original.

I had a look at the links in the thread mentioned and the Spoox one looks nice - but I had heard some negative things about Spoox, so I'm a bit hesitant at the moment.

Cameron

Well, I can make you one if you like. There's some pictures of the last one I made on the thread Matt linked, the only thing is you would need to mount it with bonnet pins. Not all bad though, I can make it with some flush aerocatches bonded to it for maximum security and it should look smooooooth. :unsure:

Ray-Vonn

Hey that might be quite cool. Would it still use the std hinge assemblies at the rear, with the aerocatches at the front to hold it down. Also, I saw on the other post you were saying that it was flapping about a bit over 80. Would it still flap about even with the aerocatches?

Cheers mate

Lee

Cameron

No you'd need to have 4 Aerocatches, 2 front and 2 back. The cool thing is you can lift the bonnet straight off so gives really good access to the engine bay. Yeah the last one I made flapped a bit at the front because I made it too thin in my quest to get it sub 2Kg. :unsure:

The next one I'd make would be a few layers thicker so it should be flap-free.

This is the one I have fitted at the moment, its a carbon / kevlar one. :lol:

IMG_0022.jpg

timmsy19

how much you doing those for cameron? with or without aero catches?

Cameron

Depends on materials really, the carbon cloth is the most expensive and carbon / kevlar is slightly cheaper. I had the carbon / kevlar one in the picture above advertised for £300 which I thought was a pretty decent price, but I ended up keeping it as most people wanted auto ones.

I think it might be fairer to sell them for £250 for a carbon / kevlar and £300 for a carbon one, since they are still in development.

Ah, missed the last bit of your question. One with Aerocatches fitted would obviously be a bit more as I'd probably have to get them at RRP, plus the extra work to bond them in. Depends on how much I can get hold of the catches for I guess. :)

Edited by Cameron

timmsy19

fair enough. i might have to let you know about a carbon auto bonnet with catches at some point

Cameron

Ok, no problem. I think I'm going to make a pure carbon one for mine soon so should give me a chance to perfect the bracing.

Ray-Vonn

Hey Cameron, thanks for the offer mate. The bonnet looks really trick, although (and I hate to be fussy) but is there anyway it could be made to fit using the original hinges and centre pin.

As said, I'm really trying to keep the car looking as std as possible - even to the point of actually applying a thin layer of paint to the carbon bonnet, albeit a very thin coat - so that you can still slightly see the weave through it like on the F40's.

I know I could go for fibreglass, but lets be honest, Carbon is the daddy!

Rom

Ive not seen any composite bonnets that use original catch. The force to close it is quite high without the weight of the bonnet.

Would be very hard and probably bulky to make this work, assuming it could be done without using anything other than carbon etc.

Though id would be nice :ph34r: As im not a fan of pins either, although aerocatches do look a lot better.

I think someone has used the original hinges, but still had a set of pins on the front.

I had a carbon / kevlar mxed weave bonnet on my old Nova, now that was nice.

Cameron

Yeah I'm not keen on trying to make them fit the standard brackets as its a bit dodgy. Some old hinges are pretty stiff so it'd be hard to get them to work without adding some serious bulk to it.

bobtt230

Hi cameron, ive just looked through this post and seen that your making a pure carbon one for yourself. would you be intrested in selling the one in the picture to me as this looks ideal for what im after! thanks bob.