• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
nick9one1

Knocking When Turning Right

nick9one1

The past few days there has been a knocking noise that is coming from the front of the car. I have done a bit of research and discovered a few things..

Its not the engine, in neutral the noise cannot be heard at any engine speed.

Its from the front of the car.

It only seems to happen when you have the power on, going over bumpy ground or turning left or right does not cause it if you have the clutch down.

from this I think it must be either the driveshaft or hub?

could a split cv boot cause this? as i have noticed it is torn and it only happens when your turning right, i.e. all the power to the nearside wheel.

cheers,

Nick

Masekwm

Mine knocked when going left turned out it was an engine mount

swordfish210

If the CV boot has split and all the grease has come out then yeah the CV joint is probably knackered, check the driveshaft for play, if there is any they you need a new driveshaft.

nick9one1

so a new cv boot/ grease wont help? i need to replace the whole shaft? i probably should add, the knocking gets faster with speed.

All Praise The GTI

id say the shaft is fubared mate. prob be easier to fitt a new one then trying to change the ends they are a PITA!!!

sorry to jump in but anyone looking at this is there a way to tell if a driveshaft is knackered? as i have a few spares in the garage and not sure if they are any good,i know one is dodgy but not sure which,id go chicken oriental if i fitted one and it was knackered :rolleyes:

JimboIASCA
id say the shaft is fubared mate. prob be easier to fitt a new one then trying to change the ends they are a PITA!!!

sorry to jump in but anyone looking at this is there a way to tell if a driveshaft is knackered? as i have a few spares in the garage and not sure if they are any good,i know one is dodgy but not sure which,id go chicken oriental if i fitted one and it was knackered :)

this sounds similar to my issue, did you get any more luck?

cir287

defo CV joint (well my money is on it anyway), usually by the time they are making noise they are shagged,

next time you see a ripped CV boot replace it asap

Capn. Pugwash
Mine knocked when going left turned out it was an engine mount

Top engine mount?? I'm having this problem at the moment....

Masekwm
Top engine mount?? I'm having this problem at the moment....

Yes, take off the metal bracket and check the condition of it.

Paul_13

Youve just solved my knocking noise when turning left cheers!