• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
CRM

2cb75 Gearbox - Whats It From

CRM

Does anyone know please ? its fitted to my 1993 1.4i CJ and while its lively off the mark the speedo's way out and its flat out at 80 up top.

surely that cant be the correct box can it ?

Cheers

RossD

2cb75 corresponds to the box from a 1.4 205 from 1987 - 1991.... I've also seen this box mentioned for the continental 1.3 rallye. I'll do some more digging!

Edit: Servicebox says this box was fitted to the majority of the 1.4 models, also along with the 1.3 Rallye. 14x60 final drive (4.2 to 1) but only up to 11 Jan 1991. Sounds like its had a replacement box at some point.

My 205, when it was a 1.4 had a 3.77 final drive.... so 4.2 is quite short.

Edited by RossD

CRM
2cb75 corresponds to the box from a 1.4 205 from 1987 - 1991.... I've also seen this box mentioned for the continental 1.3 rallye. I'll do some more digging!

Edit: Servicebox says this box was fitted to the majority of the 1.4 models, also along with the 1.3 Rallye. 14x60 final drive (4.2 to 1) but only up to 11 Jan 1991. Sounds like its had a replacement box at some point.

My 205, when it was a 1.4 had a 3.77 final drive.... so 4.2 is quite short.

Cheers Ross, sounds likey as this seems to also have a sensor on the top of the box near the front which is dangling and not connected to anything, almost like a cran k sensor.

This explains why the gearings a bit frantic too and useless on a motorway (i know changing the box wont make much of a difference) but i really think the box in the G plate cabrio is a better alrounder, gears are further apart and it sits at speed better too.

So i guess i need to try and find a box from a later type with the correct gearing.

RossD

On the older blocks there is a sensor on the engine side, pointing towards the back of the flywheel, this was used for diagnostics at the dealers back in the day and is not connected to anything. The crank sensor for the injection\ignition is on the gearbox side pointing downwards onto the flywheel. I'm not 100% sure how your engine is running properly if it's an injection model and the crank sensor isnt connected to anything - Also the pre-1991 gearboxes didnt have the cutout for the 'proper' crank sensor to mount..... Have you got any pics, simply to satisfy my curiosity?!

RossD

On the older blocks there is a sensor on the engine side, pointing towards the back of the flywheel, this was used for diagnostics at the dealers back in the day and is not connected to anything. The crank sensor for the injection\ignition is on the gearbox side pointing downwards onto the flywheel. I'm not 100% sure how your engine is running properly if it's an injection model and the crank sensor isnt connected to anything - Also the pre-1991 gearboxes didnt have the cutout for the 'proper' crank sensor to mount..... Have you got any pics of the engine\box, simply to satisfy my curiosity?!

CRM

Ross i will post something on friday eve for you to see and i value your input. As for running properly, i bought it with a failed head gasket. had that done and it goes well, but the o2 sensor is buggered as every now and again, the cat light comes on above the fuel guage, and it judders and runs rough for a min or two before the light clears and runs as normal again. i presume the o2 sensor is contaminated and sends a signal to dump loads of fuel in. also the stepper motor i thing is past is sell by too, sometimes ok but you can sometimes feel it open the throttle under your foot.

CRM

as promised

gear.jpg

RossD

Yep, thats the diagnostic sensor which isn't connected to anything. Odd how the car runs, as there doesnt seem to be a crank sensor there - That cutout in the bellhousing on the gearbox side is where it usually sits. Does this engine have a distributor or a coilpack? Would explain a lot if it has a dizzy!

CRM

Yes a normal dizzy, i know this as i removed the cap and arm to inspect and while the arm was a red one, the cap was black and had what looked like 4 lumps of coal in the corners. a quik file and clean and you can feel the difference.

i fitted a new universal o2 sensor as you can see and its sured the intermittent cat light and juddering. a clean of the cap and arm has made it rev lovely and cleanly.

just need to make it make it run something like smooth while cold now, its quite horrible for the first 5 mins to drive, feels so weak i am surprised it starts.

So i am correct in thinking this is totaly the wrong box then ? is there a particular model to try and find ? or one thats worth fitting from another car ? be nice to get an accurate gear change too, all the gears work fine but christ its sloppy

omega
Yes a normal dizzy, i know this as i removed the cap and arm to inspect and while the arm was a red one, the cap was black and had what looked like 4 lumps of coal in the corners. a quik file and clean and you can feel the difference.

i fitted a new universal o2 sensor as you can see and its sured the intermittent cat light and juddering. a clean of the cap and arm has made it rev lovely and cleanly.

just need to make it make it run something like smooth while cold now, its quite horrible for the first 5 mins to drive, feels so weak i am surprised it starts.

So i am correct in thinking this is totaly the wrong box then ? is there a particular model to try and find ? or one thats worth fitting from another car ? be nice to get an accurate gear change too, all the gears work fine but christ its sloppy

a sloppy change is 9 times out of 10 the gear rods

CRM

I thought as much, while sloppy its pretty positive, can jump out over a speed bump if your not on the gas or turning corners. i have seen rod kits for the GTI series, but didnt know if they would fit the little 1.4