• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AJPMIKE

Seat Repair-what Are The Current Options?

AJPMIKE

I have an '89 1.9 GTi and have what i think is known as phase 1.5 interior?My seats are half leather with a vertical two tone material center of dark and light grey with red separating center stipe.Can these seats still be bought new today?If not,what are the options to repair my Drivers seat,which has a split side support and 'bitty' and loose fabric on the base.Can you swap the seat with a passenger one,independant of the mechanics,or is there a trimmer out there that can not only repair the leather part,but also supply and fit new fabric.I dont hold out much hope of finding a decent used drivers seat,as i get the impression that most seem to suffer like mine?

Miles

If you can take the cover off and have some spare say from a passenger seat I can get them re-trimed,

I don;t think you can buy them new anymore thou

AJPMIKE

Thanks Miles,i think i'll start looking for a good passenger donor seat.

Tom Fenton

Any automotive upholsterer will be able to swap covers/foam from a donor seat to make a good seat. When I was overhauling my car I found the side support frame had broken, I got the local car trimming guy to remove the cover and foam, then I welded up the frame, and took it back for him to put it back together. In addition the cloth which is used to secure the cover to the seat at the back had deterioated, so he stitched in a piece of black vinyl to use to secure the cover with hog rings. Cost me about £40 in the end.

Rom

Ive stripped my drivers seat for this reason. I was going to rebolster it.

Then it struck me, to strip a passenger seat, and swap over the foam and cover. Ive not checked, but im pretty sure the foam and covers are the same both sides.

Just the subframes and recline mechs which differ.

Just got to find one now :wub:

EdCherry

Just change over the subframes then.

GLPoomobile

The foam is identical on both seats, so yes you can swap passenger side foam to drivers side to make a good seat. If it's just squashed bolsters, you can cut off good bolsters and replace them without stripping the whole seat.

Stripping down and rebuilding a seat is a piece of piss, but fiddly and tedious.

Tesstuff
Ive stripped my drivers seat for this reason. I was going to rebolster it.

Then it struck me, to strip a passenger seat, and swap over the foam and cover. Ive not checked, but im pretty sure the foam and covers are the same both sides.

Just the subframes and recline mechs which differ.

Just got to find one now :wub:

You found one in the other seat thread but have not replied to me, i have perfect seats, bolsters etc , all that you need in fact !!

Rom
Just change over the subframes then.

Then the recline adjuster would be on the wrong side ?

You found one in the other seat thread but have not replied to me, i have perfect seats, bolsters etc , all that you need in fact !!

Sorry Tess forgot about that topic :D

Ill PM you

Tesstuff

You have a reply :D