• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
qwertyuiop7

Refreshing 100k Mile Front Suspension - What Do I Need To Do

qwertyuiop7

Hello all,

Done some searching and i can't seem to find what i need so i hope you can help.

I have been running a K reg 1.9 now for just over a year, and i love it bits. But the time has come to give it a bit of TLC as it nears its 100k milestone.

I've got a bit of spare cash and some time on my hands so i want to refresh the suspension and try to get it back to something like it was 100k miles ago, i realise its never going to be like new again but hoping for some of the magic i had with my first 1.9, a D reg which i had from almost new about 20 years ago.

The rear beam needs rebuilding, that goes without saying and there is loads of info on this site to help me with this, its info on the front i'm struggling with.

Car is a daily drive and have no plans to lower it or take it on a trackday. So i want to keep it standard

So what bits do i need to replace. What bits are must do's and which are nice to have's whilst its in bits.?

How much will it cost ?

Is it a complicated/difficult job, or just a time consuming one?

Part numbers, links to any photo guides etc would be great

Thanks

Phil

EdCherry

for the front id do -

Top Mount Rubbers

Top Mount Bearings

New Dampers

Not sure on prices or time as im yet to do it myself!

Rupertfinch

I'm never planning on tracking mine, but I did a few bits to tighten it up - I'm not a boy racer.

1. Shocks - I went for OE Bilsteins from Euro Car Parts (under £80 a year ago)

2. Springs - Got Skip Brown (Phase 1 type stuff) -25mm drop (second hand)

3. Bearings - SKF (ask your Motorfactor - these are supposed to be the best) less than £15 a pair

4. Top mount rubbers - BBM fast road - £16?

5. New bump stops from Peugeot - a couple of quid each.

6. New droplinks - I can source these for £33 1st class delivered, they're Motaquip parts (owned by Peugeot) if you're interested then see the group buys section. Sorry this seems like a shameless plug.

Then plenty of wire brushing, kurust and hammeriting all the other suspension components.

In actuality the car doesn't look any lower, but does feel so much tighter.

Make sure you get yourself a wee bottle jack and coil spring compressors, you'll also need a sump plug key 6mm? or 8mm? to use to prize open the hub carrier to remove the strut. And whatever you do - don't pull the drivers side driveshaft apart! That'll really pee on your chips!

I'd never attempted this until this year and it's a really rewarding job. But with me everything that could go wrong, did go wrong! Still I laugh about it now - who needs skin on their knuckles?

jimistdt

In addition to the above I'd have a good look at the lower suspension arms (wishbones), and the clamp on the hub. While you're at it check all the subframe bolts are torqued up and check the ARB bushes.

There is no reason you can't reclaim that just new feeling with a bit of time and cash. :wacko:

Edited by jimistdt

hengti

think you've probably got it all listed now, but i'd do:

rear: beam, subframe mounting bushes, dampers

front: top mounts, dampers, (springs 'should' be OK), bottom arms, ARB bushes, drop links, TREs/other steering if required

Masekwm
3. Bearings - SKF (ask your Motorfactor - these are supposed to be the best) less than £15 a pair

5. New bump stops from Peugeot - a couple of quid each.

3. GSF now supply SKF bearings :wacko:

5. My local dealer couldn't find any bump stops, I ended up buying them from Autofive.