• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
driversdomainuk

Crank Main Bearing 0.003" Clearance

driversdomainuk

Hi

IMPORTANT AND ACCURATE HELP NEEDED... :o

Working with fellow competitor to rebuild MI16 engine.....main bearing clearance is 0.003" - with new bearings....IS THIS OK....?

Also what are the torque settings for the main bearings...is 38 ft/lbs correct..???

Thanks

Rob

Cameron

Haynes recommends 0.034mm - 0.075mm and yours is 0.076mm. I'd say that was out of tolerance so you might want to look at a re-grind.

M@tt

assuming its 1.9 xu9 alloy block

Main bearing running clearance

1905 cc engines** . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.025 to 0.050 mm

Big-end bearing running clearance - all models** . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.025 to 0.050 mm

Main bearing cap nuts/bolts:

Retaining nuts/bolts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 54Nm 40lbf ft

Centre bearing cap side bolts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25Nm 18lbf ft

driversdomainuk
assuming its 1.9 xu9 alloy block

Main bearing running clearance

1905 cc engines** . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.025 to 0.050 mm

Big-end bearing running clearance - all models** . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.025 to 0.050 mm

Main bearing cap nuts/bolts:

Retaining nuts/bolts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 54Nm 40lbf ft

Centre bearing cap side bolts . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 25Nm 18lbf ft

cheers

so what do i need to do...??

B1ack_Mi16

Grind the crank and use undersize bearings?

Or ask an professional enginebuilder what he reckons.

I know on my 2.3 engine the clearances are looser than peugeot specs due to my engine builder wanted more oil flow past bearings to help cooling...

Tom Fenton

Assuming it is new bearing shells, remove the crank and measure the journals accurately with a mic, the tolerance band is in the haynes manual.

M@tt

your gap is as cameron said .076mm so the gap is too big so you'll need to get the crank ground and fit the next size bearings. Your machine shop will be able to supply these.

HTH

driversdomainuk
your gap is as cameron said .076mm so the gap is too big so you'll need to get the crank ground and fit the next size bearings. Your machine shop will be able to supply these.

HTH

I am talking with a professional engine builder in a few days.....but on race engines this is possible. OK mine is not a full blown race engine but is not far off and is only used for motorsport...

Mattsav

Get the crank ground or you'll have major oil pressure issues. I wouldn't want to see more than 0.002" clearance.

driversdomainuk
Get the crank ground or you'll have major oil pressure issues. I wouldn't want to see more than 0.002" clearance.

What about using an uprated oil pump etc...as I know some race engines run this sort of clearance...it is just a real fag as I have bought some bearings (from someone here) and the crank has been reground...

Besides its an MI so without a dry sump it will go bang shortly.....!! (hard competition use)

Maybe it is time I start looking at Westfield Megabusa's...which was my plan but not just yet... :(

Edited by driversdomainuk

Cameron

"Uprated" oil pump won't help if the bearings can't hold the pressure anyway. Have you measured the journal diameters yet?

Tom Fenton

All the pump does is provide a flow of oil. The precise clearances between the bearing and the crank journal that the flow of oil passes through creates pressure in the oil system, due to the restriction in flow. This pressure is what prevents the journal from contacting the shells. If the clearance is too big then you won't have oil pressure, simple as that.

Solution is- measure the crank, then either get bearings to suit or have it ground and get bearings to suit.

Sign in to follow this