• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest sutton_2

Rear Turrets?

Guest sutton_2

Currently looking to change the supspension setup on my project.

I'm looking to setup the front with 309 lower wishbones and driveshafts, Then on the rear I'm looking at a 309 rear beam but thinking of converting it to rear turrets and coilovers.

I have seen a couple of 205's with this conversion but don't now how much it involves and cost's.

Could anyone advise me of the costs to convert the ream beam and welding in the rear turrets and mounting points.

Cheers Ed

welshpug

I'd contact Colin Satchell (eeyore) for the ones that utilise the original beam and trailing arms, probably the most cost effective solution, (may not even need turrets, I've seen briefly a 306 that was running a coilover damper and didn't have a turret, but that may have been a solution to get around MSA regs.

the only other people I know of that do anything similar is Harry Hockley motorsport, but their design is a complete assembly that does away with the beam massembly, so I would imagine a fair bit more expensive than Colin's fabrications.

http://www.hh-ms.com/HHMS_rear_independent_sus.htm

Cameron

Are the benefits of fitting coilovers and turrets to the rear really worth the effort? I'm saying this assuming you keep the standard beam suspension arrangement. But it seems like you're only gaining a bit more flexibility of setup (only as far as spring and damping rates) for an awful lot of work.

Guest sutton_2

I've seen the H H setup which does away with the rear beam altogether. A bit price tho!

I was hoping the Turret conversion was a fair bit cheap.

I was also advised once setup it was a more improved suspension system and easier to make alterations.

welshpug

yes, £3.5k is a fair bit of cash, but it is the whole caboodle!

no idea how much colin's work would cost though.

philfingers

ask on britshrally, there was a very tidy yellow 205 kicking around the N Wales road rally scene that was turretted at the back and it was a nice job, used the std beam I think too

Sandy

The Hockly prices listed don't include the necessary panel work! Colin's is a fraction of the cost of that and has a decade of successful competition use behind it.

Batfink
Are the benefits of fitting coilovers and turrets to the rear really worth the effort? I'm saying this assuming you keep the standard beam suspension arrangement. But it seems like you're only gaining a bit more flexibility of setup (only as far as spring and damping rates) for an awful lot of work.

If you have a competition 205 and the rules allow it then its well worth the money! The setup allows the damper unit to work far more effectively, the car is less snappy coming off throttle and rides the curbs really well. Ride height and spring rate can easily be adjusted at the venue too :o

Now I would like to drive a well sorted 205 track car on a normal setup to compare, some people i've spoken to dont think it is an advantage, but I believe it allows you to put in very consistant laps.

Cameron

I suppose the main advantage is the adjustability and ease of setup then. Worth it if you do a lot of racing and need to dial the setup to each track, not so worth it for a road car. :wacko:

Has anybody done anything with the rear suspension, i.e ditching the trailing arm setup for wishbones?

andychalmers
I suppose the main advantage is the adjustability and ease of setup then. Worth it if you do a lot of racing and need to dial the setup to each track, not so worth it for a road car. :blush:

Has anybody done anything with the rear suspension, i.e ditching the trailing arm setup for wishbones?

Im thinking about this option too or going proflex type route. I have a rally car and the standard rear end with billsteins are ok but could be so much better. 205 fly well just back end are crap at landing and are like a pogo stick. I drive on gravel & tarmac, by the end of the stage the rear shockers are nearly at boiling point. They only seem any good for 5 miles or so in the forrest then just go saggy. I deffo need a upgrade. I spoke to Colin 6 months ago. His setup basically uses the complete standard rear beam and suppleis new stub axles that are made to accept the new coilovers. Then a rear turret kit to weld in. You still retain the torsion bars to hold the beam together & aid the coilovers. It sounds fairly good but I could do with a tried & tested route rather than being the guinipig (their tried & tested on the track just not the forrest). If I could ditch the torsion bars then the coilovers I would have thought would work better.

Batfink

you can get very large capacity race coilover units that will cope with the heat. With the more efficient damping its just what you need.

Colin's setup has the torsion bars to hold the beam together but they are not working as a spring.......

I know AST do some huge dampers to cope with the heat.

Edited by Batfink

philfingers

Andy- ask on Britsh Rally. Someone ran a yellow 205 on the farrington in 2005, i just looked back over the entry list but can't see the colour of the cars. I'm sure someone will know who it belonged to or who built it; Very neat it was!

VisaGTi16v

My Sunbeam owning friend who I service for in Belgium used to run a Grp A 205 back in the late 80's and he said the Isle of Man with all its bumps and jumps was an absolute nightmare due to the rear suspension and he tried all shock options etc he had much to the annoyance of his service crew at the time heh.