• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

woodsy

Last couple days in between working on customers cars i been putting mi head back on with new hydraulics

and catcam inlet cam.Decided to do lock the cams after i tightened head down so i can put new belt on.However when turning inlet cam by hand i noticed strange ping noise from cam, when looking down port i noticed valves where

touching against something (not piston). Noticed that due to catcam inlet opening valves much further they been touching the exhaust ones.Anyway timed it all up and did a leak test with compressed air, it leaked like mad.Decided to remove head again and my god that cam opens valves loads so much so i am getting valves checked just incase i damaged any and will have to time the cams up before i refit head back.Anyone had that prob before.

whizzer71
Last couple days in between working on customers cars i been putting mi head back on with new hydraulics

and catcam inlet cam.Decided to do lock the cams after i tightened head down so i can put new belt on.However when turning inlet cam by hand i noticed strange ping noise from cam, when looking down port i noticed valves where

touching against something (not piston). Noticed that due to catcam inlet opening valves much further they been touching the exhaust ones.Anyway timed it all up and did a leak test with compressed air, it leaked like mad.Decided to remove head again and my god that cam opens valves loads so much so i am getting valves checked just incase i damaged any and will have to time the cams up before i refit head back.Anyone had that prob before.

Its whats known as "valve tangle" fairly common with higher lift cams,thats why its so important to pin the cams in place (time them up) as well as the bottom end before assembly

:D

Edited by whizzer71

hexhamstu

the inlet valves are touching the exhaust valves?

woodsy
the inlet valves are touching the exhaust valves?

Yeah, when u turn the cams by hand i have noticed if your not careful you can get the valves touching

each other.Lesson learnt today i think with wilder cams.When get head back from my mate i will lock the cams

in right position on the bench then put it on car.That cam was only fast road from QEP, there was a stage further

but would have had to change exhaust one aswell.

woodsy

Mate rang me today from his engine recon shop and said i have 5 bent bloody inlets, they are not seating.Great start this is haha luckily i have a spare head i can

salvage some valves from.Cant believe i damged 5 valves just by turning cam round by hand.Strange this.

Sign in to follow this