• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
sparky

An Interesting Thought....

sparky

Hope people don't mind halfwits asking random questions. :):)

Having read lot of threads on this forum in the short time I have been a member and looking at my own car, I can't help thinking that the afm unit is a bit unreliable.

I don't want to come across daft and don't shoot me down in flames but couldn't the pitot tube type afm be replaced by a hot wire/film maf sensor? Obviously some adjustment would be needed to the output signal but in my mind they do the same job so why not?

Anyone on here experienced with the 1.9 gti ecu and what signal it reads.

If its not possible then fair enough, its just been bugging me so I thought i'd ask.

Chris

Cameron

Don't think so, or at least not easily. The flappy AFM gives a different reading to a hot wire so you'd probably need a clever box of electrical gubbins to convert the signal.

hexhamstu

so really not worth it, when you could just go for mapped management instead.

welshpug

or, if its a standard 1.9 engine, fit Motronic MP3.1, no AFM or Dizzy, uses a crank sensor MAP sensor and a coilpack :)

Edited by welshpug

hexhamstu
or, if its a standard 1.9 engine, fit Motronic MP3.1, no AFM or Dizzy, uses a crank sensor MAP sensor and a coilpack :)

have you written a guide to doing this yet?

hexhamstu
erm, sort of!

have i missed it? or what!?

welshpug

yup :)

Sign in to follow this