• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
andyjstone

Best Race Seats

andyjstone

I'm thinking of getting a couple of race seats, any suggestions/recommendations?

Andy

swordfish210

I've got the Sparco Sprint V seats in mine. Fairly cheap, FIA approved and comfy enough for me to do a 1300 mile round trip in a weekend ;)

b14jay

Theres so many to choose from, what kind of budget you got and have you already got subframes (and or harnesses)?

pdd144c

Corbeau Revolutions, coz we make them ;)

Rom

Ideally you want to sit in some.

They vary loads on how they hold you. Sizes etc. Im not a fan of the high triangular sided ones.

EdCherry

I just bought me a nice cobra monaco pro which is the side mounted version of the popular cobra monaco.

andyjstone

Don't have sub frames or harnesses so will need both, don't have a particular budget, but don't want to go mad as I only use the car on the track, so just looking for something that grips you well, fits well in the car (i.e. don't look ridiculously big), wear well and look good at a reasonable price (I think that's everything!)

b14jay

Ive mainly had cobra make ones. Ive currently got the monaco's but find them uncomfy on long rides.

Ive got a set of universal leather buckets that are going up for sale soon, there pretty comfy as budget seats.

Maybe you'l be better buying a set that come with frames and harnesses as buying new will cost you a fair wack tbh.

Otherwise you can use the original subframes and adapt them to fit the new seats.

Tom Fenton

My track car has a pair of OMP RS in it, I find them nice and comfy and would buy the same again.

boombang
Ideally you want to sit in some.

They vary loads on how they hold you. Sizes etc. Im not a fan of the high triangular sided ones.

This is the best advice here!

Give us an idea of your height and build and plenty of people here could point you in the right direction - but even then what fits someone else might not suit you.

I am 5'10" and between 11 stone and 13 stone depending what state (currently 12.5 stone after a massively boozy Xmas). My 205 will have Motordrive International spec composite seats which are seriously comfty and snug.

My old 309 had OMP grip seats. I tried out every seat in Demon Tweeks showroom before deciding on them, then got a cracking deal on a package. A mate of mine who was only a few stone heavier plain couldn't get in them as had very high rigid sides. These were the most comfy seats I've ever been in, very supportive and held you in place without putting pressure on your thighs or shoulders as some seats can.

Went out to the ring last summer in a 205 with Cobra Monacos and have to say it was the least comfortable journey I have ever been on. Both my and the owner of the car resorted to sitting on pillows in a vain attempt to cure the back ache / numb arses. Coming back one of the motorways was shut due to a big accident - 100kms of rigid concrete road with every expansion joint slamming in the small of your back was absolute agony.

EDIT: as I said above, I got an unbeatable deal from Demon Tweeks on the OMPs, sidemounts, and harnesses. A lot of people go on about the high prices, but they are worth a call before you commit to buy from anywhere else considering you want the lot as they WILL do a package deal. In my case it saved about £400 off their list price and was the best price I could find by £150 whilst I still got all the kit delivered in one hit with only one set of postal charges.

Edited by boombang

andyjstone

OK, get the idea, is there anywhere further South that has a good selection to sit on, Wrexham is a bit far?

boombang

I'd have recommended GPR but think they've gone under (I wouldn't order from them, but if showroom is open you could go down - if they are closing down and showroom is open who knows, might be able to walk out with a serious deal if they got the stock).

http://www.gprdirect.com/OnlineShop/Document.do?c=6&d=18

Other than that you are welcome to try out the Motordrive seats I have if you are Essex way anytime soon.

b14jay

I dont really no of many shops that have them out to sit on. Bigger halfords have them so you could go to a local one of them but they dont usually have a wide choice there.

If you cant just go on reviews. As said id avoid the monaco's. These are arent bad seats for the price, just depends how much you want to pay, http://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/cobra-seats-...seat-p-610.html

boombang

I'd avoid wrap around head rests unless you really have to have them. Sure they'll help your neck in a big off, but the rest of the time they make it hard to see blind spots and hard to get in and out the car.

If you're just starting out on track (apologies if not), you should be able to get decent seats for a lot less and the extra visibility around you will help with confidence AND make you safer.

daveyboyblack

I'll second the advice to try to find somewhere to sit in them and test them. Either that or just get something cheap(ish). I've current got basemounted Corbeau Forzas and they're fine in general.

I went to the autosport show on the weekend and tried every seat I could. I was thinking of getting a Cobra Suzuka but having tried it, the Imola was a better fit. I was amazed at the differences between them all, especially in the backrest angle (which makes a big difference).

Dave

Rippthrough

Another vote Corbeau Revolutions, every time someone has been after some seats and has come and tried a set they've bought them there and then from us...

Can't find a decent pic though, doh

Edited by Rippthrough

andyjstone

Where are you then, somewhere I can come and try them??

pdd144c

Pop over to our place in Basingstoke, we always have numerous seats in the shop and in our own race cars.

Baz

I have; Sparco Rev's, a Corbeau Revolution, both great for me, and a Cobra Imola again good but not as comfy fit as the former. But as said, try seats because everyone is different shape and sized etc.

As a rule of thumb, composite seats are comfy, steel framed seats aren't for any sustained period.

James_R

I usedto have sparco evo L's and they were very comfy went non stop dunkers to the ring bar 5min fuel stop almost every trip out no cramps even managed to fall asleep in the passenger side aswell.

I've got Corbeau Pro-Sports now for the added leg support, tempted to get a revolution fo r drivers seat now though :lol:

Miles

As said try them all, It's a shame the DT shut GPR as they where handy for trying various makes and models, I;ve always found Sparco seats to be very good quailty above most other makes and thats what I would recomend and use them personally, I;ve found allot on other seats the trim can have issue's along with the edging, Boombang makes a good point on the head protection point's, Yes these are good in a race car but not road car as it really does reduce you visablity

philfingers

i had a pair of Cobra Imola II's in my old 309 and kept them when I broke it.

The new 205 had some real nice Momo seats in it but I've gone back to the Cobra's. They're side mounted, and snug for me (5'10 and 11st when I sat in them last but 12st now, oops!) but I used to do 430 miles to Aberdeen for work in mine and it was ok. I've often looked at the Cobra Monaco's tho, they have this funny lip/upstand at the front which doesn't look comfortable.

There's a guy either on here or on the PSOOC who does good deals on the cobras. They're in Telford I think

oli-pug

I have a Corbeau Pro series drivers seat in standard width and find it fantastic for support and comfort. I'm 6ft1 and 11.5st so quite slim.

They're nice and light too! Sticker on mine said 6.5kg.

Rippthrough

seats.jpg

:rolleyes: