• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

B1ack_Mi16

[car_restoration] Alien Vs. 205

B1ack_Mi16

Now it's time to start a restoration thread on this project.

1,5 years ago I bought a cheap 205 GTi (well.. it had the 105bhp 1.9 engine??) which was imported from france to Norway in 2003.

Sorrento green color and black leather interior etc etc.

Paid 1000£ for it with a knocking rod, however I think price was nice as it had only 60000miles on the clock and was a 1991 model, so quite new compared to the old 205 I'm normally used to )84-85 models).

Problem with the car is that someone had put styling on it so it really didn't look good at all, therefor the Alien thing as it really looked like one.

The car also had ABS brakes, and on the 205 it seem to only have sensors on the front wheels, however I have a plan on using a 406 ABS system and 306 rear ABS hubs and sensors (thanks to Anthony for helping me out with that!).

Now some pictures of how it looked when I first got it.

CIMG0311.thumb.jpg

CIMG0313.thumb.jpg

CIMG0321.thumb.jpg

CIMG0310.thumb.jpg

CIMG0316.thumb.jpg

CIMG0317.thumb.jpg

Rom

Thats nasty !!

Im hoping your getting all the 'styling' off :) Looks tidy though.

So you going to keep it standard and mint ? Or plans for engine etc (other than fixing it)

B1ack_Mi16

Got it into the workshop (old barn we are renting) summer/autumn 2007 and started to strip it down to look for rust and generally faults with it :)

Off the front bumper goes...

CIMG0680.thumb.jpg

... and the rear

CIMG0682.thumb.jpg

Everything must out

CIMG0687.thumb.jpg

Engine gone

CIMG0704.thumb.jpg

Interior gone

CIMG0734.thumb.jpg

After stipping it down I can conclude that the shell is in _very_ very good condition B)B)

CIMG0714.thumb.jpg

CIMG0712.thumb.jpg

B1ack_Mi16
Thats nasty !!

Im hoping your getting all the 'styling' off B) Looks tidy though.

So you going to keep it standard and mint ? Or plans for engine etc (other than fixing it)

I know, very nasty :P

Standard and very mint is the plan.. however quite some time till it will be finished though :)

Engine will be one of the Mi16's I have lying around, already got freshly hooned cylinders, ground crankshaft and complete set of new parts for bottom end.

Missing only a ported head, I'm still not sure whether it will be a Mi16 or XU10J4R head.. I'm leaning a little bit towards the last option though, as I like the more modern look of the new head B)

B1ack_Mi16

Well engine wise as I already mentioned..

Is a alloy Mi16 bottom end (D6C). I had quite some parts lying around and thought it would be good to use some of the old Mi16 blocks I have in the basement at my parents place B)

Freshly hooned cylinders

CIMG0728.thumb.jpg

Polished crankshafts and bottom end parts

CIMG0872.thumb.jpg

Petert stage 1 inlet camshaft (not sure if I will use this because of the plans with XU10J4R head... but maybe I will get some reground ones for that head too..)

CIMG0951.thumb.jpg

This is as far as I have come with the engine... not very far :)

B1ack_Mi16

When it comes to the wheels I immediately started looking for some new ones, as I want it to have Peugeot alloys and not the ugly 17" ones that were on it..

After a little while I made a deal with a guy in the norwegian Peugeot Sport Club, so we swapped wheels, he got the 17" ones and I got some Speedline SL434's in return :)B)

CIMG0723.thumb.jpg

CIMG0726.thumb.jpg

This summer (2008) I also found an advert with some cheap 307 wheels (Challengers?) which I really wanted..

Luckily the first buyer never showed up so I got them at last :P

CIMG1130.thumb.jpg

Not sure which ones to use yet, the SL434's are very good on a 205 but I think it will look more modern with the challengers, so will decide later.

All wheels will be refurbed sometime in the restoration process B)

B1ack_Mi16

As a friend of mine needed a refurbed rear beam early 2008 I thought it was smart to refurb the one for this 205 at the same time.

I dismantled two beams I had lying around in the garage and sent them to the sandblasters.

Parts back from the blasters

CIMG0985.thumb.jpg

Painting some parts in our spray booth

CIMG1029.thumb.jpg

CIMG1030.thumb.jpg

CIMG1097.thumb.jpg

Pressed in new shafts, nice and shiny B)

CIMG1061.thumb.jpg

Beam tube finished, looking quite ok :)

CIMG1071.thumb.jpg

Not put the beam for the 205 togeather yet, but should be an easy task really B)

Gentrix

this once was a euro gentry - 75Kw DFZ engine, ABS, 1.9 suspension and brakes + grey carpet and gentry manual gearknob.

But you seem to have the right parts, to make a minter out of it *g*

mai05sonycam004hdr.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Buying some new parts for it, complete set of coolant hoses from BBM also new engine mounts, however I will only use the top and gearbox one and have a standard bottom mount as this is going to be a comfy ride :)

Thinking of using the 406 Coupe brembos on this one too at least if I decide to use the Challenger wheels.

Have a set lying in the shed I can use.

CIMG0912.thumb.jpg

Also ordered some new parts from GSF which arrived..

Everything is going to be new on this car, not one single part which is not new or refurbed B)

CIMG0987.thumb.jpg

B1ack_Mi16
this once was a euro gentry - 75Kw DFZ engine, ABS, 1.9 suspension and brakes + grey carpet and gentry manual gearknob.

But you seem to have the right parts, to make a minter out of it *g*

mai05sonycam004hdr.jpg

Yes this is it I guess :)

If anyone knows where I can get those centrecaps for the wheels I would be very happy.

I'm missing the centrecaps on one of my wheels, these are "Peugeot Sport" centres, but I would really like 4 new ones with the lion instead B)

Gentrix

I am missing the centercaps too. The ones on my wheels are some standard caps with peugeot stickers on them.

But you can order the original caps still from pts. But be aware, that there have been two types of centercaps. The old type should have the normal speedline centercap and the new ones are smaller and still available from pts. But 4pcs are about 70 euros :)

B1ack_Mi16
I am missing the centercaps too. The ones on my wheels are some standard caps with peugeot stickers on them.

But you can order the original caps still from pts. But be aware, that there have been two types of centercaps. The old type should have the normal speedline centercap and the new ones are smaller and still available from pts. But 4pcs are about 70 euros B)

Ok I was trying to order them at the Pug dealer here in Norway but they was not able to help me out with it.

I know it must be some different ones as the white SL434's I have on the racecar have a bigger center hole than this ones.

Maybe get some caps CNC'ed in the end :)

Gentrix

psa-sport-basket.jpg

psa-sport.jpg

adding shipping cost it came to 70 euros and I cancelled to order at that time :)

Edited by Gentrix

B1ack_Mi16
adding shipping cost it came to 70 euros and I cancelled to order at that time :)

It certainly is a bit steep for 4 centre cap...

Continuing on the work on the 205...

I started to prepare all the small parts that I had removed from the shell, some cleaning, grinding and sandblasting were necessary to get them properly cleaned before paint.

Some parts in need of prep work

CIMG1189.thumb.jpg

Sandblasting gearbox engine mount bracket

CIMG1188.thumb.jpg

Also started to clean up subframe a bit, still not sure if I will get it sandblasted professionally or if I shall try to remove the little rust on it myself.

CIMG1201.thumb.jpg

Parts ready for paint

CIMG1190.thumb.jpg

Painted white, just as basecoat, will do them black later

CIMG1202.thumb.jpg

Edited by B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16

Then started focusing some on the shell again.

Cleaned all the wheel arches.. as good as possible.

CIMG0880.thumb.jpg

Modified old rusty beam tube so I can turn the car over on it's side.

CIMG0879.thumb.jpg

Also made some crappy looking bracket at the front :)

CIMG1139.thumb.jpg

CIMG1143.thumb.jpg

Then turned it over on its side B)

CIMG1148.thumb.jpg

It's quite good shell but still there are some rust in the normal places :(

CIMG1147.thumb.jpg

I started removing the black tectyl stuff that someone had sprayed on the underside.. to look for more rust under this! B)

CIMG1151.thumb.jpg

And I did find some :P

CIMG1160.thumb.jpg

Now it's starting to be clean on the underside :D

CIMG1192.thumb.jpg

Most of the rust was under the tank and backwards so I've removed it as good as I can without sandblasting.. (i'm not blasting this one because it's going to be too messy :)). I'm going to seal it off with 2-3 layers of Owatrol oil. Then put epoxy primer on that and then paint it. After that maybe some stonechip/underseal.. :)

CIMG1193.thumb.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

This is more or less how far I've got on this project, so as you can see still a lot of work remaining, however when underside of car is ready painted I can start on the bodywork.. and it's quite good so shouldn't be too much work to get it ready for paint.

Most time consuming part is preparing all the small parts so they are ready when it's time to assemble it again :)

Longun

Top work. Can't wait to see the progress on this.

Hilgie

Top work Kristian!

taylorspug
Most time consuming part is preparing all the small parts so they are ready when it's time to assemble it again :o

Very much agree!

Good work though, personally if you are going for a more modern but standard looking car, id go with the 307 wheels, would suit the OE theme alot more. :D

Craigo

fantastic work so far, i love a proper nut and bolt resto! will watch this with interest!

de Noir

Kristian, I'm spotting some improvements in your rebuild technique, but how do you manage all your rear beams looking the same?

Or did you use old unused photos of the first one? :D

Good luck with the project, I'll keep an eye to this. :wacko:

Forgot to mention, 75kw 1.9 was also German market only katalyzed version of 1.9 GTI in Jetronic times, I checked one example overhere recently.

It had 1.6 suspension, drum brakes rear and 14' pepperpot alloys.

ALEX

How heavy is the stripped shell?

I thinking of buying a Cti to resore but the only place I could roll it on it's side is in the back garden which is over a foot high wall on the drive side down to a 5 foot drop on the garden side.

Do you think me and 3 mates be able to lift it over the wall into the garden so I could turn it on its side to work on it's underside?

pip470

Wow those speed line wheels look fantastic, I definatly want that syle on my car now. It looks like your work is going very well. What do you put on the side of the car to stop it dinting the panels when rolled? Is it just some tyres? Great read. Phill

jackherer
How heavy is the stripped shell?

I thinking of buying a Cti to resore but the only place I could roll it on it's side is in the back garden which is over a foot high wall on the drive side down to a 5 foot drop on the garden side.

Do you think me and 3 mates be able to lift it over the wall into the garden so I could turn it on its side to work on it's underside?

Me and 5 mates lifted a bare GTI shell onto a flatback using three beams of wood under it. I think you would struggle with four people, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone posts to say they've done it.

dirtdog

eat some spinach first