• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

B1ack_Mi16

[car_restoration] Alien Vs. 205

B1ack_Mi16

Also as a downpipe for the 309 GTi16 exhaustmanifold was impossible to get anywhere, I got a mate to make me a 321 stainless 2.25" pipe with a 45 degree flare on it.

Not perfect so I had to clean it up in the lathe.

oNRK3TA.jpg

zN6MobC.jpg

Made an backing plate to fix it to the exhaust flange

Y3B9Yk6.jpg

B1ack_Mi16
1 minute ago, wicked said:

Nice work!

How did the pizza taste like, after baking the calipers... ?? 

My other half does not allow me to use the oven for baking parts.....

Not too bad after some venting... my other half already left me....

B1ack_Mi16

Sorting out messy stereo and speaker wiring in the loom

Ki7USre.jpg?1

Put the bottom end together (though I had pics of that too but couldn't find them now), and then lifted it into the bay just by my hands. A bit of a struggle but easier than I had thought. Then mounted the clutch.

UR2uRlv.jpg?1

Gearbox next to get in

mHdFfDo.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Then started to work on the engine loom, had a 3 ROW Mi16 ECU and a couple of engine looms from 405 Mi16 with CAT. Took the loom in worst condition and started on that as a basis.

Put manifold in place and tried to find a nice path for the wiring. Relay box will sit where the jack is orginally located.

HmrfXHO.jpg

On the inside of the bulkhead I modified the car side of the orginal loom with some other plugs so I got 3 plugs instead of 2 (didn't wanna destroy the orginal 205 loom I had so did it this way, also possible to add some wires if needed now).

XMxQp1R.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Also continuing a bit on the exhaust, trial fitting downpipe flange.

mLHz11v.jpg

And attacked the inlet manifold with the angle grinder for shortening. Don't wanna chop the rad cowling.. think I took it down approx 4-5cm.

ABva9np.jpg

Ready for welding... made sure to keep the coil mounting points to still have as OE look as possible.

WxWLEl1.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Inlet was then welded by a good friend of mine.

xCXmXHK.jpg

NdpI325.jpg

More or less completely smooth transition on the inside of all ports.

VV8KSLm.jpg

Had to put a T16 fuel rail on it as the orginal Mi16 one didn't fit anymore, the fuel pressure regulator would foul the coil. Anyway the more modern one with the small central FPR looks much better.

4HFyrit.jpg

OAxV717.jpg?1

B1ack_Mi16

Had to get a rather small battery to have any chance of fitting an air-filter between the headlamp, battery and washer bottle.

XnQirZV.jpg

Also recieved the exhaust mufflers so started putting them into place.

PyhqZ6e.jpg?1

L7X19Gd.jpg?1

B1ack_Mi16

A big thank to Hilgert for getting me a Phase2 / Diesel? expansion tank!

Jw5HPgn.jpg?1

However, even though it fits much better than the orginal oval one, it didn't clear the exhaust manifold from the 309 GTi16.

2eOytlO.jpg

So needed to start modifying the manifold a slight bit, out with the angle grinder.
fv1c351.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Started working more on the exhaust after I recieved my mandrel bends

q6c0ji2.jpg

NiOaFJk.jpg?1

Off the car, finished spot welding

dms6Jaq.jpg?1

Finished downpipe with cat.
2PKgBH6.jpg?1

B1ack_Mi16

After trying a few different air-filter solutions, and thinking of making a smaller hose from the throttle body etc. to make better space, I managed to get this filter that seem to fit in there.

I might try to spray it black later on.. at least it fits in the limited space.

HZsVVMx.jpg?1

Also notice I moved the servo steering reservoir as there was no possibility keeping it in the standard location. Now it sits close to the orginal Mi16 servopump and also the steering rack.

Uo9mqp7.jpg?1

GLPoomobile

I didn't have a problem getting a decent sized Green Filters jobbie squeezed in between the headlight and washer bottle. Well, I say squeezed, but actually there was space to spare. And by decent size I mean it was one that was rated for the appropriate BHP for an Mi. On mine I moved the washer bottle back about an inch. If you move the loom that runs around the shock tower and behind the washer bottle (just needs moved a bit, not totally re-routed) and then modify the bracket for the bottle, you can push it right back towards the shock tower. Seems insignificant but that's all that mine required to give more than adequate space.

No disrespect meant here, but do you know if that filter is going to be any good (will it flow well enough)? I only ask as it looks a bit cheap and cheerful ^_^

B1ack_Mi16

It is cheap indeed. But I'll test it, it is only 160bhp it's gonna flow and I actually think it will be ok. Impressive how little air is needed for this power levels :)

B1ack_Mi16

Exhaust manifold was slightly reshaped and TIG welded

98BjpFc.jpg

B3MGpcY.jpg

And I started to make a bracket for the fusebox and a stereo power cable fuse holder

EEaCc7o.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Bought some speakers for the rear and the doors and started mounting those

MYShxeM.jpg

And the new modern EV14 injectors arrived for the engine

Z19XmdS.jpg

And picked up the head from the machinist after a small porting job and freshly ground valves and cut seats.

jPIfn5n.jpg

kbNIqnc.jpg

Refurbed some lifters using Petert's method and started assembling head

c6BZVqq.jpg

tWjRFvz.jpg

axZjJrz.jpg?1

B1ack_Mi16

Exhaust manifold in place on head

f4yixmu.jpg

Block ready for head

QloXTzr.jpg?1

Bolted down

dPDdX9A.jpg

Also finally recieved the correct type of pigtails/connectors for the injectors

x74xQ1a.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Started on the injector wiring. had to use spacer hats on top of the injectors to make them fit though, they are a bit shorter than the standard ones.

ZNOkCzQ.jpg?1

And also started working on the interior now, trying to figure out how the dash comes together

yDysngR.jpg?1

First trial fit of the dash

6EunVnS.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Bolted down the rockercover after the seal kit arrived from Spoox.

H1kuVHy.jpg?1

And got some steering wheels to chose from in the mail from a mate

ZjBodfa.jpg?1

Found out I had orginal headlights from Valeo in my own stock, after I had ordered some new cheap headlamps as Valeo seemed to be unavaliable these days... How much one forgets that are in stock when projects takes 10years ish!

EXbc4NO.jpg

Also started fabricating a stainless coolant pipe to go from the matrix outlet down to the waterpump inlet/distributor on back of engine.

00aIi2u.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Engine bay starts to look quite complete now

PdIPLJX.jpg?1

Had the waterpipes TiG welded and made de-airing screws on them both. Also had a 321 stainless pipe cut at an slight angle to use as exhaust tip.

kcS6pah.jpg?1

Exhaust outlet

oyZ5SdB.jpg?1

B1ack_Mi16

Got the 306 GTi fuel rail in the post, cleaned it and painted it.. then added the fuel hoses. Nicer hose layout with this one compared to the S16/T16 one I had there before.

33RVTEI.jpg

After messing around with filling engine with water, it had some leaks here and there. Even from the thermostat outlet... I found another one that was much thicker and more rigid, which seemed to fix the weeping...

a6T0yDp.jpg

In addition after faffing about with different injectors and some diagnostics related to fuelling, the paint was gone and fuel rail a mess... decided to paint it with 2pac black and then add some 2pac clear for gloss.. now it will not get messy by petrol spillage..!

18IATbL.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

A small video of first startup attempt

Incredible different in noise level with and without the exhaust tip in place

B1ack_Mi16

Exhaust tip welded into place

E9lPCpl.jpg?1

And I machined a small de-airing nipple to connect to the top radiator de-airing outlet. Can't be arsed having a hose from the rad to the tank, as it looks messy.

U6ssOXB.jpg?1

B1ack_Mi16

Some more progress on the dash

rEHZV4P.jpg?1

Managed to fit the ECU in the roof of the glove box with the amount of wiring that accidentally was avaliable after the loom was placed as it should in the engine bay.

3bjjNrs.jpg

And continued with some more assembly work.. starting to look like a car again now.

t9qHwFL.jpg

• Like 1

B1ack_Mi16

Updates coming to an end. Last progress from yesterday now.

Just engine bay more or less finished. You can see the radiator bleed nipple there too.

lgk9yDL.jpg?1

And more complete interior, CD player with DAB+ radio in place and started putting in the rear seat bottoms and side covers etc.

ENdUjfv.jpg?1

XcYpU6q.jpg?1

bluesleeper

This is looking nice dude! Keep us posted!