• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu

Megajolt Testing: Can Use The Jolt To Supply Ignition, And Motronic To

Stu

Hi all,

One thing i want to do on my Megajolt install is to test the 'static' EDIS components, that is, without the 'jolt plugged in so i can verify the components and the trigger wheel installation.

Now.. if i plumb in the EDIS stuff, and simply disconnect the existing Motronic fed coil etc, will it run?

I figure it will, it'll need a loop on the coil plug to supply the relays i know, but so long as the motronic CAS isnt disturbed i figure it'll run?

Anthony

Not personally tried it, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't run just fine with the ignition side of things disconnected.

pug_ham

I can't see why it wouldn't work either but couldn't you simply leave the motronic coil plugged in & remove the king lead instead?

Graham.

Stu

Thanks guys, i suspected as much ;)

Yeah thinking about it Graham that would save messing with bridging connections and such.

Id planned on leaving all of the low tension side as per original, but just removing all the HT stuff and substituting the EDIS in its place.

Anthony
...but couldn't you simply leave the motronic coil plugged in & remove the king lead instead?

I was always told that was generally a bad idea, as the HT built up in the coil had nowhere to earth to and could if you were unlucky cause damage? Might just be one of those unfounded rumours, but certainly I've always disconnected the LT side of the coil to be on the safe side.

pug_ham
I was always told that was generally a bad idea, as the HT built up in the coil had nowhere to earth to and could if you were unlucky cause damage? Might just be one of those unfounded rumours, but certainly I've always disconnected the LT side of the coil to be on the safe side.

Good point, probably better to simply disconnect it but what about if you unplugged the ignition module as well?

Graham.

Stu

This is the one thing im wondering, without scrutinising the wiring diagram again i cant recall off hand where feedback loops/supplies etc and all that come into it, hence me wanting to keep all of the low tension stuff plugged in; i figured simply removing the HT stuff gives the ECU the *impression* it has fired.

Maybe its worth just disconnecting the coil, and bridging the relay supply across after all... :wacko: