• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Saveit

Piston Clearence?

Saveit

Hi there,

As some of you know, i am in the process of doing the XU10 on XU9 conversion using a 306 XSI 8v head. But suddenly it just crossed my mind if there is clearence enough for the skim that i am planning on. I am going to use a quite aggressive cam and my worries is if there is gonna be clearence enough between valves and pistons for a 2mm skim on the XU10 head. Details:

Head: XU10

Estimated skim: 2mm (going for about 11.5:1 CR)

Cam: Kent PT27

Product: PT27

Application; Supersports

Power Band; 2500-7000

Cam Lift(mm); I 12.49 E 12.24

Valve Lift(mm); I 12.24 E 11.93

Duration ; I 304 Deg E 296 Deg

Timing; 46/78 74/42

Full Lift; 106 deg.

VC (mm); I 0.25 E 0.30.

LTDC; I 4.31m.

As you see the cam has a quite high lift. I dont want to destroy the engine on the first startup :huh:

Thank you

Edited by Saveit

Saveit

No one knows?

jonand

Cant answer your specific question, but if you have any doubts it is best to dummy assemble the engine before machining and attach some plasticine or similar to the piston or valve heads. Then you manually turn the engine over and strip it back down to measure the thickness of the plasticine as it has been squashed. Bit of a performance but at least you then know for sure. I have also heard that you can acheive the same by using flux cored solder through the ports (saves dummy build) but never tried it.

Hope this helps - incidentally you may consider decking the block instead of the head to increase CR - usually a better option.

Regards

Jon

petert

As it's an 8V, with the valves perpendicular to the head, you won't have any problems with valve-piston clearance.

welshpug

How close can you go/what's the max Lift @ TDC possible?

Saveit
How close can you go/what's the max Lift @ TDC possible?

Yeah i would also like to know that?

tony perks

Lift at tdc for the pt27 from memory is 4.31mm on the inlet. so check the depth of the combustion chamber it its more than this you'll be ok, plus of course you have the thickness of the head gasket to add as well.

Sign in to follow this