• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mhyphenl

Trailing Arms

mhyphenl

I know this has been covered in various places before but am I right in saying that the trailing arms are the same on all models along with the central beam, its the torsion bars and stub axels, (along with the brake parts,) that differ! Can someone confirm this before I start butchering at the scrap yard!

Cheers guys.

welshpug

they're all the same as in they will all fit (bar some VERY early 205's which had smaller diameter splines) but the camber and toe in varies, hence it is important to use them in pairs if you ever change them.

205, 309, 306, zx, xsara are suitable donors of arms.

if you have a search you'll find a topic where most of the common arms are listed.

mhyphenl
they're all the same as in they will all fit (bar some VERY early 205's which had smaller diameter splines) but the camber and toe in varies, hence it is important to use them in pairs if you ever change them.

205, 309, 306, zx, xsara are suitable donors of arms.

if you have a search you'll find a topic where most of the common arms are listed.

The donor is a 205 GTX '93, is the camber and toe going to be so different as to spoil the handling or cause the wheels to foul. Also its the central beam on mine thats at fault could i just swap the trailing arms etc into the GTX beam?

welshpug

it really depends how you want your car to handle, if you us parts from a 205 it shouldn't change dramatically, but if for example you used ZX arms some of those don't have any toe at all, which I believe would make turn in far sharper but supposedly less stable at speed.

Xsara ones on the other hand have much more toe in and should be more stable at speed and softer on the initial turn in.

Theres a few people on the forum used different arms now, I'm sure they'll be able to add their experiences.

They shouldn't cause you any clearance issues though.

You should be able to use just the GTX tube with your original trailing arms, being a late model with fairly soft torsion bars you may well find that it has servicable arm shafts too (if your tube is shot its almost certain that your original arm shafts will be too)

mhyphenl
it really depends how you want your car to handle, if you us parts from a 205 it shouldn't change dramatically, but if for example you used ZX arms some of those don't have any toe at all, which I believe would make turn in far sharper but supposedly less stable at speed.

Xsara ones on the other hand have much more toe in and should be more stable at speed and softer on the initial turn in.

Theres a few people on the forum used different arms now, I'm sure they'll be able to add their experiences.

They shouldn't cause you any clearance issues though.

You should be able to use just the GTX tube with your original trailing arms, being a late model with fairly soft torsion bars you may well find that it has servicable arm shafts too (if your tube is shot its almost certain that your original arm shafts will be too)

I've actually had my beam apart, all except one of the torsion bars that was a little stubborn. The shafts are mint, the problem is the cast mounts on the beam itself. they're twisted around the beam somehow so when I try to re attach the whole suspension I can get the double (front) mounts in and one of the trailing mounts but the other is an inch away from going through the hole. I managed to force it through with a jack but obviously that has twisted the suspension! Ican't feel it while driving but to look at, the drivers side rear wheel is an inch further forward than the passenger side!

Anthony

I'd say that it's VERY unlikely that you've bent the main beamtube if everything else is straight and serviceable - things like stub axles usually bend long before the beamtube, and trailing arms can bend/snap and still leave the tube straight.

It's more likely from your description that something removeable is wrong - the sandwich mounts can be put on two ways, one of which will make it approximately an inch out because the mounts are offset. Also, make sure the mount/leg thing that the damper and sandwich mount bolts to is straight, as that can be easy to bend with the beam off the car - if it's damaged, it can be easily replaced as it just bolts to the tube. Finally, make sure that the front (double) mounts are both identcal (1.9 ones are different to others) and round the correct way, as that can give odd effects like one wheel being further forward than the other.

mhyphenl
I'd say that it's VERY unlikely that you've bent the main beamtube if everything else is straight and serviceable - things like stub axles usually bend long before the beamtube, and trailing arms can bend/snap and still leave the tube straight.

It's more likely from your description that something removeable is wrong - the sandwich mounts can be put on two ways, one of which will make it approximately an inch out because the mounts are offset. Also, make sure the mount/leg thing that the damper and sandwich mount bolts to is straight, as that can be easy to bend with the beam off the car - if it's damaged, it can be easily replaced as it just bolts to the tube. Finally, make sure that the front (double) mounts are both identcal (1.9 ones are different to others) and round the correct way, as that can give odd effects like one wheel being further forward than the other.

Hi guys,

Its this part thats twisted in relation to the other side, don't know how or if it can be re positioned. any clues anyone?

post-12223-1230724214.jpg

Its the bit that holds the fixed end of the torsion bar and the mount for the front attachment.

Edited by mhyphenl

Anthony

AFAIK that part is pressed onto the tube, and I guess in theory could be moved round with some brute force and leverage - I've never knowingly had one of them move though and haven't ever had to press one on or off, so I don't speak from experience.

mhyphenl
AFAIK that part is pressed onto the tube, and I guess in theory could be moved round with some brute force and leverage - I've never knowingly had one of them move though and haven't ever had to press one on or off, so I don't speak from experience.

Tried moving it back with force but I think it happened a while ago and its well and truly stuck.

Got a 306 rear beam with disks lined up, off a deasil i think. Will that bolt straight on or do i need to make any changes, its complete with calipers etc?!

Cheers guys.

Tom Fenton

A 306 beam will not bolt on, the mounts are different, and its too wide for a 205 too.

You could use the trailing arms complete in a 205 cross tube if you wish, but you need to use 205 GTI torsion bars.

mhyphenl
A 306 beam will not bolt on, the mounts are different, and its too wide for a 205 too.

You could use the trailing arms complete in a 205 cross tube if you wish, but you need to use 205 GTI torsion bars.

Ok that answers my question. Its the cross tube i need to change, got the possibility of a 1.4 gtx, the cross tube will fit on that won't it!?

Sign in to follow this