• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Mac210882

Sheared A Top Mount Bolt

Mac210882

:lol:

These things always happen to me I'm sure. I've just been out in the garage replacing my front shocks. All went well, everything tightened up, wheel back on etc. Then the last thing to do is nip up the three top mount nuts on the front wing. Two nipped up nicely, the third just pinged and sheared.... :):angry:

So, I guess I'll have to buy a new top mount kit (can you get them separately - as I've just bought Grp N rubbers and new bearings separately) - disassemble the whole thing again, and replace the top mount. If I'm doing one side I might as well do both :blink:

I think I know the answer, but I assume it's unsafe to drive with 2/3 top mount bolts in the strut top?

Cheers

Iain

oli-pug

Quite a common occurence, I had one shear a while ago too. They only need to be nipped up to 20nm if i remember rightly.

All i did was remove the strut, drill out the sheared stud and weld a suitable bolt on from underneath the top mount. They're M7 thread i think but an m8 does the job

Mac210882

I've obviously done them too tight :lol:

Cock

Also I don't have a welder to hand, and being near to Christmas I doubt there's anywhere out there that will do it for me until the new year. The car is off road but it's still bloody annoying

Cheers

Iain

Goliath

As above, just put a bolt through, you dont even have to weld it, drill it out and put a nut+bolt in place. (use a washer if neccesary)

Mac210882

Will that do it?

I suppose thinking about it all they are doing is preventing the shock rotating, hence the triangulation of three bolts. Cool, I'll give that a go as I've got loads of M8 nuts and bolts lying around.

Cheers guys

Iain

jackherer
As above, just put a bolt through, you dont even have to weld it, drill it out and put a nut+bolt in place. (use a washer if neccesary)

Agreed. The weld is just to hold the bolt while you put a nut on it, it is slightly awkward to hold it under the arch while you thread the nut on but once its done up its as good as the original stud.

Tom Fenton
I've obviously done them too tight :lol:

Cock

Also I don't have a welder to hand, and being near to Christmas I doubt there's anywhere out there that will do it for me until the new year. The car is off road but it's still bloody annoying

Cheers

Iain

I've 3 welders in the garage, if you can bring it down then I can repair it.

Rom

i snapped one of mine over a year ago, still not got round to fixing it properly :lol:

Nut and bolt is fine, been holding mine fine for a long time now !

Rupertfinch

I've done the old nut trick as well. I was even cheap enough to superglue it in place and then use 2 nuts to secure it. Hasn't moved in 3 years.

kb_205

this happened to me few months ago!

you dont need to weld as you can still get access to hold the bolt with a spanner! little bit awkward but its a fast fix

i need to replace the bearings ect, i have done the rubbers (grp N) already

as i feel this may be the cause for my steering issues and the sort of snappy clonk coming

from the front N/S .

have recently replaced everything else ie.. drop links, gaz shocks, driveshafts, wishbones,

what comes in the kits available from GSF exactly

thanks

Alastairh

Also done it.

It caused a very light knock when driving hard from stand still, but how often do you do that?

Al :D

Mac210882

Sorted :o

I drilled the old one out (easier said than done with s*ite drillbits ;) ) and replaced it with an M8 nut and bolt. A little bit fiddly to get lined up but if you bolt the other two up first at least you don't have to take the weight of the shock whilst trying to line up the third nut and bolt.

All back together now - thanks for your input guys B)

Iain

philfingers
Will that do it?

I suppose thinking about it all they are doing is preventing the shock rotating, hence the triangulation of three bolts. Cool, I'll give that a go as I've got loads of M8 nuts and bolts lying around.

Cheers guys

Iain

Unless you go lying over humpback bridges etc then they stop the front suspension dropping off when it's in the air, be it flying, or on stands/jack. They're only mild steel anyway, very soft.

Fox

I just nip these up with a 1/4 inch drive, best if you drop it back to the floor, nip them up, go for a spin, then nip them up again

Thats how I do it anyway!

Henry 1.9GTi

done the same :)

sump bolt welded in its place did the trick, glad you sorted it out, I took the whole strut assembly apart; from reading this it seems I made extra work for myself.

Ren
this happened to me few months ago!

you dont need to weld as you can still get access to hold the bolt with a spanner! little bit awkward but its a fast fix

i need to replace the bearings ect, i have done the rubbers (grp N) already

as i feel this may be the cause for my steering issues and the sort of snappy clonk coming

from the front N/S .

have recently replaced everything else ie.. drop links, gaz shocks, driveshafts, wishbones,

what comes in the kits available from GSF exactly

thanks

I would imagine the kits are just the bearings and the rubbers. If you've fitted group n rubbers then buy a pair of the bearings listed for the berlingo van as they are the same.

Ren

welshpug

yep, the "kit" from gsf is just the bearing and rubber donut, not sure to what spec the donut is either, probably just a generic one.

the bearing itself is part number;

N45710 STRUT TOP BEARING 106/205/206/306/307/309/405/PARTNER ALL MODELS~~USE N45710~~ £8.75

I think Peugeot want around the £21 mark for them.

the whole kit you can only get from Peugeot AFAIK (never seen it anywhere else) , but what you'd have to buy to get the top mounting plate is No2 in this diagram;

205strutarrangement.jpg

Which is basically everything that sits on top of the spring upwards!

retails at £42.49 per side though, which IMO isn't that bad :D9503125 MOUNTING ASSY )

Edited by welshpug

kb_205

thanks for the info guys!

im going to go for the bearings

hopefully this will solve my ongoing steering issue, will let you know how i get on!

cheers

Sign in to follow this