• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
neil88

Blocking Distributor Hole

neil88

hi I know some one on here can help

I'm fitting a engine management and replacing the distributor with a coil pack so want to block off the distributor, what is used to block the distributor hole off and fit the coil pack on were the distributor was.

I've done a search and can't find anything.

Also is there a set of ignition leads that would fit on or will i have to get some leads made up?

Edited by neil88

Anthony

Is this an 8v XU engine do I assume?

If so, there's a complete thermostat housing designed for coilpacks that will fit and includes the mount to bolt the Bosch coilpack to, assuming it's the usual 106/306/405 style one that you have. Any 1.8 or 2.0 8v XU engine should have the thermostat housing that you need.

As for leads, again, assuming it's a Bosch coilpack from a 106/306/405 and it's an 8v engine, a set of 1.8 8v leads will be perfect.

Tom Fenton

I'm also doing this, I don't know if it applies to all the GTI thermostat housings but certainly the one I have from a later 1600 engine has all the mounts there and tapped for the coilpack, whilst it would have been fitted with a dizzy. I've had an alloy blank turned up which I will TIG weld in, but the type of thermostat housing without the hole bored out is probably an easier solution!

pug_ham

I'd do as Anthony suggests, I've got this style on my GTi with MP3.1 & I've supplied a few people on here with them taken off other PSA group cars I sourced from scrapyards.(usually for under £10 iirc & sometimes with a coilpack)

Tom, I think most of the thermostat housings for the XU engine with a distributer made post 90-91 have the drillings for the coilpack mounting.

thermohousingstn8.th.jpg

Graham.

Doc-Evil

Thats answered one of my questions - thanks :lol:

neil88

yes its the 8v xu engine.

Thank for the help

will get down the scrap yard and have a hunt about

Sign in to follow this