• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Paul_13

Mi16 Cams

Paul_13

Hi all,

I've got a 2.0 iron block MI16, I am purchasing some cams over the weekend from a 1.9 MI16 head. I'm swapping the cams over so i can run a dizzy, but which cam would i run this off?

Take it would be the exhaust cam because it looks like the dizzy unit can be bolted on the side, correct me if i'm wrong please!

Thanks

Paul

bensonmi
Hi all,

I've got a 2.0 iron block MI16, I am purchasing some cams over the weekend from a 1.9 MI16 head. I'm swapping the cams over so i can run a dizzy, but which cam would i run this off?

Take it would be the exhaust cam because it looks like the dizzy unit can be bolted on the side, correct me if i'm wrong please!

Thanks

Paul

you'd still need to buy a dizzy adaptor to be able to bolt it on with! i think its the inlet cam as its the 1 closest to the inlet manifold but some1 can correct me if im wrong ;)

Edited by bensonmi

Paul_13

Ok thanks for that,

i've had some bloke tell me that he ran it off the exhaust cam and had no probs, that came from someonewho worked at humphries so probably not going to believe it.

Has any one had this issue?

Will i need the distributor unit (not the dizzy cap) to bolt to the side of the head first before i atach the dizzy cap?

Chars

bensonmi
Ok thanks for that,

i've had some bloke tell me that he ran it off the exhaust cam and had no probs, that came from someonewho worked at humphries so probably not going to believe it.

Has any one had this issue?

Will i need the distributor unit (not the dizzy cap) to bolt to the side of the head first before i atach the dizzy cap?

Chars

post-13260-1229534481_thumb.jpg

thats the way it gos, just thought a pic would be easier than explaining ;)

Paul_13

;) Brilliant that has clear up alot of things!,

did you use the 1.9 gti dizzy unit (bit b4 dizzy cap) or the Mi16 one? (1.9 or 2.0? or are they the same?)

bensonmi
;) Brilliant that has clear up alot of things!,

did you use the 1.9 gti dizzy unit (bit b4 dizzy cap) or the Mi16 one? (1.9 or 2.0? or are they the same?)

thats a complete 1.9 gti dizzy,the adaptor can be used on both 1.9 and 2.o mi16s as mi16s never had dizzys,they used distibutorless ignition thats the reason why you need a adaptor to use a dizzy,if that makes any sense??

Paul_13

Yep that makes perfect sense mate :( (not taking the pee btw)

I was staring at my 2.0 Mi for about an hour trying to figure out how it worked, half the wiring been cut and bits missing.

What did you do about a coil do you the existing 1.9gti?

Only problem is that i have the intake mounted one, are they easy to change to the engine bay mounted coil?

;) Slowly getting there

Cheers

Miles

The cam's are a direct swap, You will need to use a core plug to block up the oil drain and the 1.9 16v stat housing as the 2l one is no good

Be warey of Pub talk on what work's, 90% of the time it's wrong.

You will need

1. Dizzy adaptor

2. 1.9 Dizzy, Arm and Cap, really need's to be modded as the advance is wrong but it does work

3. Longer Plug lead's, I do stock these.

4. 1.6, 1.9 8 or 16v MTR01 ignition Amp

Paul_13

Ok brilliant, whats the MTR01 ignition Amp? is another term for it the coil?

As for the core plug can i just use a bolt and a jubilee clip? its a bit hard to visualise everything at the moment as the engine is not at my house.

Can you include some pictures if you have them. sorry to be cheeky ;)

Will definately get some HT leads off you over the weekend when i get paid, will i have to do this through ebay?

P.s Also what mod is rerquired for the dizzy to sort out the advance?

Many thanks

Miles

Nope the amp is what drives the ignition to a extent, It's either on the inner wing bu the fuel filter (Late models) or in front of the header tank.

You can still use the std coil but as you need to rewire it the older coil is easier due to the connection's being std spade ones.

You can;t use a hose clip as it's a hole in the side of the head, If you;ve got a engineering firm near you just give them the size, I don;t have any pic;s I;m afriad

H&H along with other's to the mod, What it is I have no idea bar them modding the advance curve

Paul_13

Thanks for that miles, wasn't sure what was ment on the last line.

Going to have a butchers in a minute and see which one is mine.

Cheers

Paul_13

Hi miles cant seem to find and HT leads on your ebay shop are you currently out of stock?