• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stealth_pug

Converting From Diesel To Petrol.

stealth_pug

Due to certain circumstances my STDT now needs some a front end rebuild. As the engine had covered a fair amount of miles and is now somewhat damaged I will be replacing it.

I have decided I want to convert to a 1.6gti engine now.

What would I need to convert from the original car to make the petrol engine work.

Obviously the engine haha..... I would have thought the easiest option would be to convert to standard 1.6 management so is it a case of swapping the front end of the loom over and getting the ecu etc from a 1.6?

Fuelling wise can I keep the original fuel tank, pump and lines etc or do they need changing for a petrol engine?

Any other issues that I will need to be aware of?

thanks muchly

JonnyB

You may need to chenge the springs on the front as the Diesel is a heavy lump and the ride height will increase with the GTI engine.

I would use the whole setup on the loom including the correct ecu.

I think there was someone on here who converted from a petrol to a diesel, try a search and reverse engineer!

Goodluck

J

springs

arnt the 205 diesel engines the same as the 306 ones in which it doesnt have an ECU??

wont that mean more wiring?

Mikey S

for a start you obviously need a lump, a gearbox as the diesel ratios are for to long for a petrol, a fuel tank, fuel pump and a return fuel line fitting. then you will need a complete wiring loom, a set of clocks and maybe a few days to fit it all as the dash will probably have to come out to do it.

imho, just buy a cheap gti and bin the stdt. far easier than trying to reverse engineer it all.

mike

dirtdog

It depends what state the body your STDT is in..do you really want to get rid of it to buy a rotten old GTi with 100k + ....I know I wouldn't!

It's a little bit of work but it's not impossible. Let's face it...it's not the craziest conversion a 205 has ever received! I know a lot of people have pulled out GTi engines to fit the larger (1.9) 306 engines. If you cleaned the tank out properly then theres no reason why you couldn't use it if you ask me.

As for the ecu...i'm not sure about this but..couldn't you rip out the fuel injection system and stick some bodies on it or something. Or am I completley wrong about that? If not getting a loom made up won't be so bad if you know someone who can get their head around all those wires.

Or just fit a 306 Dturbo engine to save the hassle.. getter better MPG = more smiles per mile

weejimmy

i would say put a 306 td back in.

prety much same engine but a 1.9, get a bosh pump and wind the boost up and it will be more like 1.9 gti fastthan 1.6gti

but engines a personal choice

M_R_205

I converted my Dturbo a couple years back and was far easier than i thought...

You will need a gti fuel tank as the deisel uses a mecanical pump and the gti one sits in the tank

Feed and return fuel hoses

you will need the engine loom, guage loom, guages, and ecu

and then obviously an engine and box

Hoses and expansion tank

As stated the Deisel uses heavier spings and unless you want a drag car yes you will need gti springs

My converted deisel is up for sale if your interested, it aslo needs a little work doing drop me a pm if you interested..

Good luck

Paul

foreigner

put 306,405,xsara - 1.9 td, keep 205 gearbox, get a new clutch, get a powersteering pump from 106 or saxo, get a bonnet scoop from scooby (got one spare), 2wires to add in existing loom (10 min job), while you at it, put water injection, and you are flying and never will want petrol engine ever again

stealth_pug

well I'll give you the history lesson,

I was using it as my road car and was planning on getting another 205 to build into a rally car. I then had a front ender in the STDT. Apart from the front panels and the bonnet the shell is straight and as it's one of the last 205's to be made is still in excellent condition. The impact smashed the gearbox mount off aswel, so to fix it it's going to be a gearbox swap job anyway, plus the engine was tired so could do with replacing.

Obviously a diesel is a no-no for rallying so hence the petrol engine. If I bought another gti to start with I could spend ages looking for one with a good enough shell. The engine would then be coming out anyway for a rebuild so I wouldn't really be in any better situations. The car's off the road so time isn't really an issue. I'm handy enough when it comes to mechanics and I've done engine swaps and been around 205's for ages anyway so the mechanical work doesn't worry me. Just wanted to check there were no big issues.

Fuel lines I'd be routing through the car as braided ones anyway so there's no extra work. why do the gauge's have to be swapped?

andychalmers

To be honest it will be a bigger job than you think:- things different are:- engine, box, wiring, rad, dash, fuel lines, hoses etc etc etc. I would sell what u have and buy a cheap GTI as already done plus has better interior etc etc. My mate turned a 205 D into a XS rally car, he had 100's of problems, just niggly little things that really fu**ed him off.

dirtdog

The reason your mate had trouble is because the XS is a TU/(TY?) series and the GTi and Diesel models are XU series.

The engine and gearbox mounts are the same aren't they? Being a Xu model and alll.

Fuel lines and brake lines should be run through the inside anyway if you're rallying in my opinion, so they need replacing anyway.

Edit>Typo

Edited by dirtdog

foreigner

Some one told me that TU cars after 89 have XU top mount anyway so no problem there. Get TD subframe as it is the same as gti isn't it? I think it should be fun. If you never driven pumped up td in 205 than you don't know what you missing.

Anyway why do you need fuel lines inside?

Sign in to follow this