• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
philfingers

Wiring In A 2 Row 405 Loom To Ph1 Early 8v

philfingers

I have my engine in and need to get on with the wiring.

Loom is a 2 row 405 one and car is an 8v early 1900 with a single plug (5 wires) down by the column.

Can someone point me to a guide to wire it up. I'm a dab hand with electrics but there must be a guide. The one I have is for the two plug 8v.

Thanks,

Phil

welshpug

its pretty straightforward, the only difference being that the loom for the dials etc are all on the left hand side of the engine bay rather than through the right hand side by the column.

here's the single 5 pin plug that I wired up for an 2.0 conversion.

PICT0055.jpg

philfingers

so is that all you need to get it to run? just:- (obviously you need main power and earths etc)

Ign live to the engine

Starter motor to engine

fuel pump back into main loom

I was thinking of using the old 8v loom for all the sensors, reverse light, alternator and gauges etc

Phil

Stu

Thats the most common way of doing it Phil, leave the 8v loom to feed the gauges as per the original setup, the splice the loom as per Mei's pic and the job is a good one..

If i get chance ill pop round over the weekend, could do with an excuse for a run out.. :)

welshpug

yep you could just use all the 8v wiring for the gauges etc, I chose to use the 405 stuff because it was some 7 years younger and in better condition than the original loom!

that picture above really was all it needed to run apart from the live which came from the shunt box on the slam panel, and the earth on the gearbox.

Edited by welshpug

philfingers
Thats the most common way of doing it Phil, leave the 8v loom to feed the gauges as per the original setup, the splice the loom as per Mei's pic and the job is a good one..

If i get chance ill pop round over the weekend, could do with an excuse for a run out.. :)

yes feel free, will be there next two nights also. Works do Fri tho so maybe not there early on Saturday!

yep you could just use all the 8v wiring for the gauges etc, I chose to use the 405 stuff because it was some 7 years younger and in better condition than the original loom!

that picture above really was all it needed to run apart from the live which came from the shunt box on the slam panel, and the earth on the gearbox.

The 405 Loom i have has been butchered, I'll be replacing a lot of the wiring anyway as it's hard, cracked and corroded. I will intend to use mostly the 205 loom for sensors

thanks for your help guys,

Phil

philfingers

You have one labelled '32A ignition switched, Double Relay'. Any idea what the wire no is on the 405 loom? What are the two relays for in the box, and also there is a spare 2 pole connector?

What's the 'K-light' wire 74 for?

I looked and most of the sensors can use the 8v loom, so I'll thin down the 405 one and rewire it where neccesary,

Phil

welshpug

K-light = engine management light.

can't remember offhand what the wire number was, but I did a 2.0 loom not a 1.9.

not sure on the 2 relays as I haven't worked on the 1.9 looms, but if its in any way like the later double relay arrangement I would imagine one to be fuel pump relay switched by the ecu, the other the main switched for the coil.

I'm pretty sure Stu or GLpoo could point you in the right direction :)

philfingers

is it worth wiring up the engine management light, is this wire from the loom a +12v that needs to be earthed via a light or does it go to ground?

Defiantely two relays in the wee box. I was going to use the existing 8v coil supply and coil too, is this ok?

Phil

philfingers

Got a bit more done tonight. Basically tied up the 205 8v sensor loom and replaced a few wires.

Now to the 405 loom

A few things are obviously needed to be connected up:-

AFM, TBH (TPS), ECT, Injectors, ICV, ECU and the two relays (and two fuses in the small box). Also in the box there's a wire 12? and a small two pin connector? Any ideas?

What's not so obvious:-

Ignition amp, Flywheel sensor and Coil. I have the 8v items wired in, so can I still use these? If so should I use the 8v coild or the 16v one?

the thick 12v wires 1, 1A & 18A can these go direct to the supply distribution 'block' (for want of a better word)

That leaves:-

2- ign live in

RPM signal and shield/earth

76- fuel pump out

74- K light out, is it worth connecting this up?

M85- small earth, for what i have no idea

Also near the ECU there are two 'spare' wires, should these be connected to anything. They don't look like they have ever been used.

M146 earth

15 white

All the sensors, with exception of the oil level are hooked up to the existing 8v loom

Basically can I use the 8v coil, ign amp and the Mi16 flywheel sensor fits straight into the lead which used to run to the 8v dizzy.

thanks,

Phil

Mikey S
is it worth wiring up the engine management light, is this wire from the loom a +12v that needs to be earthed via a light or does it go to ground?

Defiantely two relays in the wee box. I was going to use the existing 8v coil supply and coil too, is this ok?

Phil

ive just done my 2 row ecu loom and i havnt bothered with the k light. i will probably will get it wired up sometime in the future though.

the wiring for it will run up to the clocks and go into one of the pins in the back of it and light the corresponding bulb. which pin, im unsure as i havnt got a pinout for the clocks to hand but im pretty sure all the 205 clocks had the facility for the k light to be displayed.

edit:

wire 74 goes to pin A2 on the back of the clocks for the k light.

Edited by pugger

philfingers

how have you done your Pugger, using the 8v loom for the sensors or the 16v loom for the whole lot?

Thanks for the tip, I will wire the K light up for completeness

Got a mocal oil pressure gauge coming soon and a themostatic sandwich plate too

Stu

Im a little confused mate...

So, with your 16v loom, the plugs arent present for the CAS, coil and amp? Is that the reasoning behind using the 8v loom? or is it purely for ease?

Im not sure as to how the 8v ignition stuff integrates with the 16v, have you got a copy of the CAPS software Phil?

philfingers

yes I have the caps s/w. I stripped out the wires for all the dashboard sensors, starter, alternator from the Mi loom but kept the coil, ign amp and CAS (crank/ flywheel sensor?) in case I needed them. but I prefer the coil and ignition amp mounted to the side like the 8v so I left them in place. Could use the 16v ones.

Has anyone else done this?

Phil

Mikey S
how have you done your Pugger, using the 8v loom for the sensors or the 16v loom for the whole lot?

Thanks for the tip, I will wire the K light up for completeness

Got a mocal oil pressure gauge coming soon and a themostatic sandwich plate too

i used the 16v loom for everything. much easier than pulling apart 2 looms and transfering the the 8v sensor loom into the mi16 loom. cut the 405 plugs off and solder the 205 plugs on. i had to run one wire down the loom but i cant for the life of me remember what it was. ill post it up if i remember.

Sign in to follow this