• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hexhamstu

Stu's Car Works!

hexhamstu

so its on mi16 management and carbs, but it smokes like james dean. havent solved the drive shaft as some ebay idiot sent me the wrong one.

here is a video link of said smoke, any ideas?

video of smokey smokerson.

heres a picture of the drive shaft, hopefully getting a s16/gti-6 drive shaft should solve this.

CRIM0049.jpg

and here is the stupid car looking sorry for itself.

CRIM0051.jpg

on a plus note i blagged the halfords trade card! :ph34r:

hexhamstu

oh yeah, and the bonnet no longer shuts, anyone one with carbs solved this by cutting out all the extra bit under the bonnet just leaving the actually top skin if you know what i mean. really cant be arsed faffing on getting an auto bonnet sprayed to match.

heres another photo........

CRIM0043.jpg

Edited by hexhamstu

happygoron

Woo! Now get it to swansea!

Miles

Need a new linkage that fit's under the carb's, you can just see it in this picture

post-43-1228593540_thumb.jpg

hexhamstu

i think the filters are fouling it the most so might buy a foam one instead, but they are alot of money i guess i can sell these ones on fleabay.

hexhamstu

any ideas on the smoke???

welshpug

how long has it sat idle for and has it had a long run yet?

looks like just condensation to me :lol:

hexhamstu

i was hoping you would say that! there is no sign of exhaust gasses in the expansion tank, so i dont think its head gasket. i think i'll just stick a drive shaft in and drive it a few miles. hopefully all will be fine.

DrSarty
i was hoping you would say that! there is no sign of exhaust gasses in the expansion tank, so i dont think its head gasket. i think i'll just stick a drive shaft in and drive it a few miles. hopefully all will be fine.

I think that's the plan.

What about jetting? Once she's warm and done a few miles, you could check the plugs to see how it's burning. It may be running rich depending on what you did with the jets and also the ambient temp and humidity will effect what the smoke looks like out the back.

Have a blat and I reckon it'll go away and make you a happy chappy again.

hexhamstu

as far as i know the mechanic didnt touch the jets as it was already jetted for the engine and ran fine in stuFs car. going back home on the 18th so will be doing the driveshaft then just need to buy another! also what is the MOT requirements about the bonnet? can i get through it without one? i guess i just need to fine an auto bonnet for the time being.

welshpug

do bear in mind that the bulge on an auto bonnet is at the back not the front...

hexhamstu
do bear in mind that the bulge on an auto bonnet is at the back not the front...

so basically isnt going to help? i think a foam filter is going to be needed.

hexhamstu

does anyone make an off the shelf box filter for them? im guessing no....

hexhamstu

is there a way of keeping the hub side of the shaft in situ and just changing the cup with it all on there or do i have to take the whole drive shaft out and put the new cup on then whip it all back in again?

Baz

Auto bonnet will help a little as there's still more clearance due to the less strengthening bars on the underside being in a different place. :lol:

mattbenselin

I have an auto bonnet in the garage which has had the bit underneath cut away to accomodate K&N filters such as yours. So I'm guessing even the auto bonnet doesn't clear them, as said before probably because the bulge is further back.

You could try an ITG filter or similar or try to lower yours; do they removable base plates? Yes or no you could try make a new base plate with the holes closer to the top and attach them to the back of your filters, then the filters would sit lower in relation to the carbs and bonnet.

Matt

hexhamstu
I have an auto bonnet in the garage which has had the bit underneath cut away to accomodate K&N filters such as yours. So I'm guessing even the auto bonnet doesn't clear them, as said before probably because the bulge is further back.

You could try an ITG filter or similar or try to lower yours; do they removable base plates? Yes or no you could try make a new base plate with the holes closer to the top and attach them to the back of your filters, then the filters would sit lower in relation to the carbs and bonnet.

Matt

i like the new back plate idea, i'll try that one out.

Martin W

I just use a pair of foam ITG filters, the bonnet squashes the top of them every so slightly on the underside strengthening and the bonnet closes fine. Thats a chaper alternative.

hexhamstu

just bought the 2 ITG ones. hopefully someone will buy my K+N ones on ebay.

hexhamstu

i drove the car for the first time in 3 years today, smoke seems to be clearing but i would of expected it to cear quicker, it was a delight to drive apart from the accelerator pedal feels crap its either off or on, need to sort out a double cable system, i was supplied with a proper pedal block, but the garage seem to have kept it and they are closed for christmas so cant even go round and spit in their faces, seems to be running fine on the mi16 management......?

no TPS plugged in......................

felt fast and sounded really good! not so great on cold starts, have to get someone to crank it while i hold the chokes open and hold them for 5mins untill i can give it some throttle then it idles at 1k fine.

have had to tie the bonnet closed while i sort another one out.

TT205

Ain't it great to get behind the wheel again :)

3 years - my god you'll be suffering from PE !! LOL

hexhamstu

anyone know where i can get a throttle linkage that sits underneath the carbs instead of ontop?

Sign in to follow this