• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
davepug205

Welding To Coilover Bodies

davepug205

Hi,

I am after welding some small brackets to my coilover bodies,

but they are built up and I didnt wont to seperate them.

They have Bilstein tarmac inserts will I be ok to weld the bodies or will the heat affect the insert/seals etc

sorry if its a stupid question but would save alot of messing about.

Cheers, Dave.

Rom

Ive welded the drop link mount before, but never onto to the body itself.

Id be very wary myself, about heating up the gas, and as you said, any damage to the seals the heat may cause. A quick tack might be doable, but if its heavy duty id strip it.

davepug205

Cheers Rom :lol: Its the hub locating bit which lines up with the back of the hub, I was wonting to move it slightly.

Will it be ok to run without this or will the bodies turn in the hubs?

Cheers

Dave

Rippthrough

I wouldn't - distorting the inner tube with the heat or cooking the oil/seals is going to cause major trouble.

Rom

In theory, they shouldnt be able to move once the bolt is done up. I think there is a small gap even with the tab in the slot, as slot is over sized slightly. Never noticed it jamming into each other.

On a coilover, all twisting would effect is the droplink. As spring platform etc is flat anyway.

How come they need moving though ?

davepug205

I think if I decide to run an anti rollbar the droplinks will run to brackets on the wishbones, I will have to speak to Colin.

The tab is slightly lower on one body than the other. :lol:

I was goin to move it up or just cut it off?

Cheers guys

welshpug

aren't the Bilstein inserts in effect upside down (piston is attached at the bottom rather than the top as with conventional Dampers) , and hence there is nothing but air inside the lower leg that the tab is attached to?

davepug205

Cheers Welshpug May well be right, theres a nut at the base of the body, Ive never actual had them apart.

Miles

If they are bilstein inserts they just come out, then you can do whatever to them, nice and easy

Anthony
If they are bilstein inserts they just come out, then you can do whatever to them, nice and easy

Or so the theory goes - my coilovers came apart a piece of cake, but could I get the insert to unscrew on either of my brand new Challenge dampers? Could I hell.

davepug205

Cheers for the advise guys ive cut it off :ph34r:

Dave :)

Rom

Im sure it will be fine without it. Let us know if it causes any trouble though

Chris

oli-pug

I know the Gaz Gold coilovers don't have any tabs for allignment in the uprights so you should be fine.

Sign in to follow this