• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
timb1046

Car Cranks But Doesnt Fire

timb1046

My 1.9 8v wont start in the mornings and needs to be cranked over for about 2 mins and then it kicks into life, however in the afternoons or when its not freezing cold it starts fine. what is this likley to be caused by? i have tried a search but there are so many 'wont start' posts none of which seem to have this scenario.

Cheers

Tim

boombang

Could be coolant temp sensor on the stat housing, or poor setup meaning it's over-fuelling on cold starts

timb1046

im pretty sure it isnt this as if the cts wasnt conected properly the car would fire but run rough as hell. its just cranking over but not fireing at all. so i dont think its to do with the spark, but the problem is the only time this happens is in the morning when i dont realy have alot of time to piss around with stuff.

DrSarty
Could be coolant temp sensor on the stat housing, or poor setup meaning it's over-fuelling on cold starts

The good news is this is a doddle to swap and check. Try it and let us know please.

After this, I would also suggest cranking it when it's cold and getting someone to jiggle some wires to see if it's an intermittent contact, as these symptoms are quite strange to me.

I can't see the difference that one minute's cranking (which is still too much) has over 2 minute's cranking, other than a starter motor nearer death. All of the correct ingredients to start the car should be there within 3 seconds of turning the key. Anymore than that, and we have an issue.

Try the ECU water temp sensor swap as Alex suggested and see what happens.

Edited by DrSarty

timb1046

ok, well im planning to ride to work tomorrow so will try and start the car before i leave. thanks

boombang

Try pulling out a spark plug after cranking (on an unsuccessful start) and see how wet it is, if there is a general smell of fuel.

After a couple of minutes of fuel on the plugs I'd expect it not to start at all until given time to clear.

The colour would also be a good indicator of fuelling.

Anthony

I've had a similar issue on a couple of 8v 205's in the past, and it's been down to the 3 pin yellow plug on the end of the dizzy timing signal cable. Remove any corrosion from the pins inside, and a quick squirt of WD40, and all was well again from then on.

If that is the fault, you'll have no spark and no fuel being injected, but the fuel pump will run when the engine is cranking. A quick tale-tale clue is that the rev counter won't move whatsoever when cranking, whereas usually it'll flutter/bounce a small amount.

steve@cornwall
Could Anthony actually be God?

Quite possibly - but how about a stuck SAD ?

DrSarty
how about a stuck SAD ?

Why would more cranking 'free' it then Steve?

steve@cornwall
Why would more cranking 'free' it then Steve?

It wouldn't, it's like starting an old carb engine with no choke (adjusting fuel/air ratio to suit) It'll start eventually - but I don't really know why. I guess the current through the ecu sender whilst cranking in this case may increase or decrease (not sure which it does) the resistance until the fuel / air mix is o.k to fire? As the SAD in conjunction with the temp sensor is the cold start mechanism, it would seem a good place to start. A collapsed hose from / to the Sad another possibility?

DrSarty

Hmm. I guess we'll see what we'll see, won't we?

(That's a film quote BTW) :)

This is like a whodunnit...kinda.

gerlewislewis

ecu temp sender fixed this for me.

DrSarty

Sorry, off topic:

gerlewislewis> Why didn't you meet up with us in Cardiff on Friday dude?

Edited by DrSarty

gerlewislewis

I missed the thread, I havent been about for a bit. I was off work with flu that day too - so I guess I could have come :lol:

Was it good and is another planned?

Ger

Sign in to follow this