• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
mang

Steering Racks

mang

iv just brought a quick rack and pinion kit thinking it would be in a casing but its not. Is it easy to put it into an orignal casing it says there an upgrade so they must fit insde a orignal rack?

Goliath

It should fit inside a normal rack casing yes, I belive the most common quick rack kit is just a power steering rack with the power steering bit removed, where did you get yours from?

mang

i got it from QUAIFE its a 2.7 lock to lock should be fun if i can get it to fit

mang

are the racks easy to take apart never done it befor

swordfish210

Hi, i'v got the Quaife rack as well. The racks arn't that hard to take apart.

Remove the plate that is behnd the pinion gear and this will release a small spring and a plastic damper. Then (with a bit of force) the pinion will come out. Then get a pipe wrench or a stilson type plier and you can unscrew the track rod ends from the rack it's self (after peeling back the rubber gators of corse) The rack should come out then (if memory serves correctly)

The biggest headache i had with my quaife rack was finding a bearing for the pinion. Quaife wouldnt tell me what size bearing they had desinged the pinion for and the local bearing place didnt have one, nor could find one that would be a good fit. I eventually decided to get a 6003 bearing and take the pinion to a local engineering firm where they put it in the cylindrical grinder and ground it down to fit.

VisaGTi16v

Nice customer service by them!

mang

i didnt realise that i had to get a bearing i thought that i could use the one thats allready in there how gay just been to the engineering shop

swordfish210
Nice customer service by them!

It was properly s*it. The guy on the phone (i phoned twice and the other guy was just as bad) was so arrogant and he just refused to tell me where i could get a bearing or what size bearing they had desinged it to take. Wheni asked to speak to one of the engineers who could help me more he just said he wasnt allowed to put anyone else on the phone :)

swordfish210
i didnt realise that i had to get a bearing i thought that i could use the one thats allready in there how gay just been to the engineering shop

The one thats on there is heat pressed on to the pinion. Theres no way it's coming off without damaging it.

mang

I must addmit that i tryed to get the pinion out 2day and it wouldnt budge how did you get it out?

swordfish210

Clamped it with Mole Grips and pulled like hell. Just popped out then

mang

i put clamps on it and beat it with a hammer sevral times and it still wouldnt budge

swordfish210

Have you removed the circlip on top of the bearing?

mang

LOL dont worry i took that out first i thought you might say that

Sign in to follow this