• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

pip470

[Engine_Work] N/a Fwd Drag Pug Project

DrSarty
Good stuff, although 450miles to three tanks.......ouch!

Ooooh.

That's painfull Phill. If I can get nearly 350miles out of a single tank with 2.2 16v, then something's not right. Your right foot?

Edited by DrSarty

dcc

im assuming that he didnt use 3 complete tanks - but a heavy right foot, and from what he has said, his engine is not quite right, but he is happy enough to drive it, so its not all bad :D

pip470

I have to say that there is a lead boot attached to the loud pedal, I thought it was standard. But I have to be honest and say that I have driven this car very hard from the off, If somethings going to let go then I want it to do it now rather than on the trip. My confidance is very high at the minute with this car because I haven't pussy footed it around. It has been driven very hard and not missed a beat. I do think it will improve on longer runs and as said Im not empty yet so I still have some left from the third tank. You're car Rich, will inherantly be better with fuel especially on part throttle because you have fuel injection with quite a clever brain. The gearbox doesn't allow lazy driving either, 70mph is over 4000 rpm on the rev counter, 7000 in 5th is 125mph.

Sometimes I think the noise of my car is a bit chavvy, but I just cant get enough of it. It really has taken me back to when I was 17. Allbeit a bit faster. What ever it costs for the fuel it costs. Miles per smiles and all that.

Thanks for all the comments Guys.

pip470

Ok, Its been over a year since I last updated so I thought I would write a little something.

The Bike carbs have gone, the last straw was when a back fire through the inlet manifold after filling up in a petrol station popped the carbs off, this had everyone looking at me as a big cloud of smoke exited from under my bonnet. So replaced them with a pair of dellorto 45's. Had it rolling roaded and made 180hp. I was quite happy although it was running really rich on part throttle, so much that if you accelerated hard after tootling round for a bit, it would puff out a large amount of black smoke. It was also guzzling fuel and for a while I thought I had done the wrong thing.

I then asked a good friend of mine to have a look. He said he could make it better, he made changes to to the chokes, the pumper jets and the mains. The car is definitely not making the 180hp it did on the rollers but fuel consumption is a lot better and it is so much more drivable and at the minute and that is most important as it is my daily driver.

So, what I am excited to tell you about, well I feel I now have a decent induction and a healthy engine and gearbox, so the next logical step before cams for me is a decent exhaust. The one I have at the minute is poor, the best bit is the down pipe I had made by DES but sadly that was mated to a sportex system which after only a year has cracked and split and even before that it was too loud anyway.

I have bit the bullet and put my car into Tony Law in Leeds for a 4 into 2 into 1 manifold and to make the rest of the exhaust back. The primary sizes and lengths have been left up to my my mate who tuned the carbs for me so he knows my intentions for the car and what I want from it so I trust he will make the right choices.

I will post up the pics as soon as I get it back which hopefully will be Friday. If the weathers nice on sunday I hope to be racing at retro car show at Santa Pod. I'm hoping to beat my 13.9 @99mph all time best too.

pip470

Ok so its hard to get decent pictures but I think you get the Idea.

post-8104-1279916023_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1279916047_thumb.jpg

pip470

And more

post-8104-1279916180_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1279916197_thumb.jpg

post-8104-1279916271_thumb.jpg

welshpug

nice, that's a decent length secondary pipes, dare I ask how much it set you back?

pip470

Not cheap but I am happy with it.

pip470

Ok, the last three weeks have been hectic. I had all year to prepare really, ive been gathering bits and measuring things then gathering more bits and then decided that it would cost too much then with three weeks to go i had a plan.

gti 6 block

mi16 crank 88mm

s16 rods and pistons with valve cutouts increased by 70 thou

gti 6 head with reground cams, solid lifters

To go with my already purchased exhaust and carbatootas.

It was a mad rush towards the end as I kept running in to small problems such as the thrusts having no tab ( i just put them in anyway and they have stayed put so far,(these are mi16 thrusts by the way)) and the head gasket that said top but was printed the wrong way, again i just ran with the top facing downwards. There were more little niggles too.

Then weds night before ultimate street car was the night to take my old engine out, change all the bits such as mountings alternator water fittings ect ect and get the new engine on its mounts. Me and my mate (Dave) started at 8 and had the new engine on its mounts with the exhaust fitted by 1 am. He then left and i did a little bit more before calling it a day.

7 am the next day, straight in the garage to get everything fitted ready for tuning on the road with the lamba. By 2 o clock i was nursing the car to B&J engineering where I used to work to set the new engine up. We changed the chokes and the mains and gave it a few runs up and down. The car is so much more responsive and really barks now.

Friday morning saw a few more little jobs. The car was then packed and we set off to The Santa Pod!!!

We arrived just before dinner, set up camp and then as i set about getting the car ready i noticed the cv boot had pulled from its cup, then i noticed that there was barely enough room to get a zip tie between the cv joint and the subframe. I opened up the bonnet to find the battery tray had dropped, I knew instantly that a short cut on weds night had bitten me in the arse. I thought it would be ok if I didn't put the two bolts under the battery tray through in to the captive nuts in the wing. I don't mind admitting when I f*&£ up if some one may learn from it. So These bolts are really needed.

I hadn't done all this hard work not to race, it was still supporting the engine, so i decided to do my four runs.

After a long wait because we missed the sighn on before dinner and then as soon as we had sighned on the heavens opened I was starting to feel a little down. I had been so busy with building the engine I hadnt contemplated it raining or something breaking. Then finally at 3:15 the rain had stopped. I lined up for my first run, i couldnt really relax, all i could think about is the failing mount and how ive only got four runs and how much dust there was on the track to dry up all the oil ect.

I did my first run, The car felt good and i was relived it made it. Because the que was quite large I joined straight on the back and decided to get the slips after the next run, I normally get them after each run whilst its still fresh in my head. Second run I was against my mate Dave in his green seat Ibiza. For some reason, this was another worry, i never normally think about the other lane but this time I was, I was concentrating on getting a good start and fluffed it, plenty of wheel spin.

I then got my slips. the first run was an average start of 2.2 to 60ft which i was disappointed with as i had just fitted a soft pair of yokahoma a048s. the second run with all the wheel spin was shocking 2.6 to 60ft. Any how, on the first run I had beaten my time, 13.7 @ 103. The win felt like i had cheated a bit, I had beat my time not because I drove well but purely because the engine is making more power.

The next two runs were my PB of the day at 13.6 @103 and 13.8 @102.

The rest of the weekend was great, i got really drunk and and forgot about any worrys, and also looked at plenty of gorgeous scantly clad women.

I have fitted two cut down exhasut studs now to the inner wing so its a lot easier to locate the battery tray and I fitted a new one today thanks to Alistair for a quick delivery.

Next outing is going to be the 18th sept for RWYB which will see a few forum members meeting up on that day. Until then Bwwwaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrppppp daily.

pip470

Ok just an update. The car is still running really well. Ive had to do another alternator but this time the regulator had popped. It was just out of its year warranty too from when i bought it after the euro trip. I also bought some rota attack wheels, this has had the a double benefit in that i could now do away with the two heavy spacers because the wheels clear my brakes and also they are very light. The tyre are toyo tr1s and i have to say, i will not be buying paradas ever again. These tyres are great in the wet and dry, and not just by a little bit.

Santa pod flame and thunde is at the weekend. I am confident that i can beat my current time of 13.6 @103 as i have the wheels and no broken engine mount this time. Be nice for anyone who sees me to say hello. I won't be camping though. Kirstie and i will be living it up at the travel lodge Saturday night ready for racing Sunday.

Theres also a new development in my life, i will be leaving my current security guard job and getting back into something more technical. I have landed a job as a paper mill operator, this will mean moving to Spain for 12 months to train in Zaragosa on an already operational paper mill. After that i will return to work on a brand new mill in my home town Partington. The opportunity is fantastic for me and i feel really lucky. The car will be off the road but when i get back, I have big plans.

So ill leave you with a pic of the car on its new wheels and will report back after the weekend.

post-8104-1288225021_thumb.jpg

welshpug

not with SCA is it?

pip470

With a company called SAICA. Sociadad Anonima Industrius Celulosa Arogonesia.

pip470

Flame and thunder 30/31st october 2010 show report.

Saturday. What a great day we had, we had planned on setting off around 8am but my car developed a misfire on the way to work friday night. How typical is that. I bought some magnecor plug leads made for a fiat bravo 1.4 and the fit quite nice as well as sorting the mis fire. We eventually set of at 11. Arriving at the track around 1.30 everything was well on its way. The weather was mild and not too cold. I watched countless entertaining runs from crazy cars such as the worlds lowest car, the smallest car, the fastest piece of furniture and quite a few jet engined go karts. They also had the big cars doing runs all day. It was a pretty seamles display from santa pod and kept me entertained.

The best performance came from speccys ESC car in the dark, its a front wheel drive turbo tigra , he ran an amazing 9.8 @148mph. I was blown away by the acceleration of 3rd gear of this car. Really inspiring stuff.

Bonfire and fireworks were really good aswell as the track lighting.

So race day arrived and it was damp foggy and cloudy but no rain. I had all the mud washed from my tyres and arches before I drove to santa pod after staying in a nearby travel lodge. (much better than camping in the cold) Signed on and sat waiting to go down the strip. Kirstie wanted to go down the strip with me now taking full advantage of the new passenger rides so I though id get this out of the way. Great burn out, (those toyo t1r really are a great tyre) and then lined up next to a 280hp (apparently) cupra r. My start was ok, it bogged a little but picked up quick with no noticeable wheel spin, second gear was clean but hit the limiter very briefly in second and third and over the line at 7300 in 4th gear.

It felt like a nice run, I returned to the fre up lane to have another go on my own, unfortunately the weather started spitting so kirstie went to get my slip.

2.2 to 60ft which is my average

13.66 @104 mph with kirstie in the car

so thats a personal best by 3 hundredths of a second. I know i could of got better if id gone on my own but such is the nature of santa pod.(rained for the rest of the day)

Not the ending to the year i wanted but its all very positive still. Thats the last time ill race this year so untill the fast show, Adiós.

I also want to give a quick mention on here to Andy hart aka chocolate o brian, he has been doing a drawing for me for the last year or so and I had made a bet that if he had it finished before the show, i would pay for his entry to flame and thunder. Well he pulled it off after some late nights towards the end and the picture is amazing. I will put a new thread up all on its own, but here is the link to the you tube vid. I trhink you will agree its a one off and i am so pleased with Andys work. To man.

Edited by pip470

James_m

Good times ;) You had the car rolling roaded with the latest engine? Got to be 200bhp plus now?

pip470

Not had it rolling roaded yet, we set it up using a lamba sensor on the road. When i get back ill try and take it to mikeanics again to keep the figures relative.

I would hope we have 200hp. it will be handy to see the torque curve too so i can pick my shift points. Thanks James

CaptainK

As said on Facebook, nice job mate and well done on the times. 8)

16v205

I was wasting some time last night and stumbled across your 13.6 run on youtube. Thats awesome, well done. You kept that quiet didnt you ;)

pip470

Hello mate, not seen you in a while. I do try and tell everyone and anyone that will listen but this forum is much more about track days which is fair enough.

I'm really happy with my time especially with kirstie sat in the passenger seat. (not that shes heavy in case she reads this) but as you know it all counts. Cant wait to get back to the pod in March now.

So how is your car? What you been up too?

16v205

Mine's not been on the road since last time I saw you at santapod. Currently its stripped and stood on 4 axle stands waiting for me to weld seat mounts in. Doesnt look like ive much work on in December so ill try bring it back on the road for next year. Really missing driving it and 1/4 mile now.

Be good to meet up at santapod/longmarston one day. I'd be really interested to see what you've been doing with your car and the results you get from the changes, see if im thinking along the same lines as you with mine.

Rich

pip470

Thats sad mate, they look so sad when sat on stands. We could meet up at the fast show http://www.thefastshow.com/ . I dont know if you read a page back that im going to spain for a year so my santa pod time will be limited next year. Would be great to chew the fat though and swap ideas. It will be a good race now too, the cars seem to have similar times. Keep in touch mate and get them seat rails welded in.

pip470

The fast show show report 26/27 march 2011

Had the car rolling roaded on the 25th, the friday before the event to just see what power the engine was making. 230hp @ 7500 not got the torque handy as it ended up going through the wash. Very pleased with that and was quite unexpected. I took it to Mikechanics of congleton for the run.

Trailered the car to the pod early on the saturday morning, I had a lot of friends with me this time as i have been in spain for a long while so it was kind of a get together too.

The changes to the car have been fiberglass doors and boot and poly windows. The doors were a bugger to fit and they still dont fit very well, i will be taking them off again i think and lightening the steel doors. Also I bought some 16" wheels but need spacers again as the centerbore is different and the hit the suspension too. They are wrapped in a second hand set of 16"888's. I had an arsenol of tyres and wheels to try such as the 15" rotas in the soft o48's but as i will explain there was no need in trying these.

So, Camp set up it was time to see what this car could do. I had been thinking about this for a very long time, since i did my 13.6 with kirstie in the car. I knew it had potential. I lined up and thought id give it an easy run. Dont forget i had not even driven a car since i left for spain in august last year so i was a bit apprehensive about doing a run. It was quickly forgotton as i did my first burn out in 1st gear. I didnt want to put to much stress on the shafts with the new 16" wheels untill i had built my confidance up with them. Not much heat built up but nice and clean now. I set off with quite a lot of wheel spin, changing gear quite calmly and crossing the line at the top end of forth,i knew instantly that i had beat my run. I have a bit of a higher top spead with the 16 wheels and i was nearly on the limiter. this was a 13.2 @ 109 mph. Over the moon with that time but i knew there was more to come. Straight back round for a more aggresive run. This time a burn out in 2nd gear, the tyres a bit hotter now. A better start but hit the limiter in all 3 gear changes, something that would become a bit of a habbit, this i did not know untill watching all the footage afew days later. This run was a 12.9 @109. I could not belive i am in the 12,s with a N/A engine. At this point i was leading my class and it had already surpassed all the dreams of this event whilst busy working in spain.

So, out came some air from the front tyres, a burn out in 3rd gear getting the tyres up to around 90mph, pleanty of heat in them now. I was really concentrating on my racing as last time i raced it didnt feel like i had accomplished because even though i raced bad i still beat my pb just because trhis new engine had more power, so for personal reasons i was aiming for good reaction times and good 60ft times. R/T .248 on this run, 2.048 60ft, 12.806 @110.05mph. What a dream, the run felt perfect (looking back i was still hitting the limiter) and i was over the moon. This was my best run out of the 7 i did on the saturday. I then had to wear a helmat because i was over 110mph. This is something i am going to have to get used too. The reduced hearing and vision and the extra wieght did make things feel a bit less familiar. I felt all my reaction times were good and the car was supurb. To go back to the wheels, if i put the 15" wheels back on the car would of needed me to change to 5th and i felt this would of just slowed me down either more.

So I finished second in my class, losing to a familiar vauxhaul nova running a 12.5 @113 which is amazing, it wont be long till im breathing down his neck. I have a new engine build planned over christmas for next year so should have a few more horses too. Im thinking a longer 1st gear would be benificial so might try a 1.9 gear box with the mi final drive.

I made a video as i always do. Hope you enjoy.

maxi

F UCK that is QUICK! Well done fella!

Whats the spec of the latest engine?

Just goes to show weight loss is free BHP........ I always wanted a 13.0 out of mine full road trim, I will be back up there soon to try and acheive it......

Monster time though, congrats!

Maxi

welshpug

Cracking effort Phill! What box have you got on there now? 1.9 gear cluster will indeed give a longer 1st as you said :D

pip470

Thanks very much Maxi, its been a long time coming, i was just reading my drag car thread started in 2007 with a time of 15.7.

I forgot to mention my best 60ft time was 1.9 which felt amazing. its the first one i have done and id love to concentrate on repeating this, funny enough it wasnt my best time, the olnly reason i can think of is i had left the fan on accidently, my mph was 108 rather than the usual 109/110 but still ran a 1.8 so i can only imagine it was robbing that little bit of power. I was a bit gutted at that but theres a better time to come with this car yet.

The gearbox is a 1.6 with mi final drive and a kaaz diff welshy and thanks to you too.

dcc

this thing was making evo's look slow from start to finish, the fastest evo, which must have been pretty well tuned, was running solid 12.8-12.9 the entire day!

fair play phil was great to see you with a cheeky grin on your face again :)