• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
yorkshirekowboy

Help, Help , Help, Asap, In The Garage Doing It Now

yorkshirekowboy

hi all,

i have juts knocked down my internal bearings to about 20.3cm ish, its says on wurzels 20cm about? will they be ok?

also i have packed them with grease, just got some grease on my finger, quite a bit, and rubbed it aorund the inner of the bearing, will that be ok?

last thing, on the gti6 forum, the external bearing is mentioned to be recessed 0.5mm? but on wurzels guide, its says 5mm? was thinking the gti6 guy meant 0.5cm? so what depth should it be recessed?

welshpug

shouldn't be a problem at all for the inner bearing to be 3mm deeper, there's plenty of bearing surface on the Arm shaft, just some grease pressed in by finger should be sufficient if you work it in.

as for the outer bearing, this is what a factory fitted one is like

th_PICT0408.jpg

(clicky for the bigger picture)

certainly isn't recessed by 5mm :)

yorkshirekowboy
shouldn't be a problem at all for the inner bearing to be 3mm deeper, there's plenty of bearing surface on the Arm shaft, just some grease pressed in by finger should be sufficient if you work it in.

as for the outer bearing, this is what a factory fitted one is like

th_PICT0408.jpg

(clicky for the bigger picture)

certainly isn't recessed by 5mm :)

i thought that when i took old ones out that they wearnt recessed 5mm, done them, bit of a mission getting them recessed as i didnt have a socket to knock them so i used my smaller rubber mallet, and hit it with my bigger rubber mallet and achived this below...

th_SNC00089.jpg

what you think? they are just above 1mm roughly each side, was hard to measure, they may be slightly diff reccessed each side but im sure that wont matter. will these be ok?

welshpug

look fine to me, as long as they are even.

yorkshirekowboy
look fine to me, as long as they are even.

what even both sides? quite hard to do tbh aint it.

Anthony

Outer bearings are fine flush with the end of the tube in my experience, and yes, 20.3cm will be absolutely fine for the inner bearings.

yorkshirekowboy
Outer bearings are fine flush with the end of the tube in my experience, and yes, 20.3cm will be absolutely fine for the inner bearings.

wonder where wurzel got the 5mm recess from?

welshpug

he may have had the seal carrying ring still fitted, that's about 5mm deep maybe? I replace these anyway though.

Anthony
he may have had the seal carrying ring still fitted, that's about 5mm deep maybe? I replace these anyway though.

Quite possibly, but I also replace them as a matter of course.

You can knock the outer bearing further into the tube by a few millimeters (can't remember if it's as much as 5mm though) and I see no reason why it wouldn't work, as there's plenty of area on the trailing arm shaft for the bearing to run.

Sign in to follow this