• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Craigo

Rear Drums Wheel Cylinders, I Have Seized Nipple

Craigo

just spent a good hour trying to find this in the search to no avail

i am going to be replacing the standard 1.6 calipers on my 1.6 gti with 1.9 items, so i thought i would check the rear brake bleed nipples first as i am replacing the fluid at the same time for some better stuff for track.

the passenger rear nipple is fine, moving freely, however the drivers side one is seized solid. it seems to be bent upwards towards the backing plate so i couldnt get a spanner on it properly, tried hammering one on, tried taking the brake pipe off to gain more access, nothing happened.

now the nipple is pretty bashed and buggered, so i need to kno what to do next!

i would of stripped down the system, but i didnt have a 32mm socket to get the hub nut off!

can i just take the backing plate off that has the bleed nipple on it, take it to a garage and get them to drill out and fit a new nipple?

or is it time for a new backing plate or do i just need a brake cylinder? tried looking on servicebox, but it didnt come up with the answer i need!

if i do need a brake cylinder which one do i need? as there is bendix or girling iirc?

thanks in advance chaps, and sorry for my annoying questions, this just needs sorting asap!!

thanks

craig

weejimmy

for the price of a wheel cylinder id just change it.

there is 2 types one has a circle where it goes threw the backing plate and one has a oval.

on service box go rear drum breaks cylinder shoes and click on the "rear drum and shoe" for both bendix and girling and you can see how the whole in the backing plate differs.

if its a round hole ie bendix, i have 1 you can have cheap.

well i have 3, 2 patern and 1 genuine pug, cause people keep giving me the wrong one and im too lazzy to take them back.

mainline

You won't need a new backing plate, just the cylinder. I had exactly the same problem and it was much less hassle just to take the drum off, release the top spring, and replace the cylinder. I had tried hacksawing the nut flat and every size of conceivable deep socket on it, but once its rusted in and rounded, its screwed as its so difficult to get any purchase on it.

Craigo

thanks guys, i suppose ill just take it off, take it to a motor factors and say can i have a new one of these please, haha

omega

its the quick and easy way and they only a few quid frm the local motor factor,or why not uprate now to discs?

Craigo
its the quick and easy way and they only a few quid frm the local motor factor,or why not uprate now to discs?

not got the funds for that atm :)

need this fixed for 19th dec so this will be best thing for now!

welshpug

changing to discs isn't an upgrade IMO...

Craigo
changing to discs isn't an upgrade IMO...

is that due to the poorer handbrake? or braking ability itself?

Anthony
anyone know which rear cylinder i need? girling or bendix? my car is a 1988 1.6 gti.....

It will almost certainly be Girling (every 1.6 GTi I've seen has been) but I'd take the drum off to double check before buying.

Craigo
It will almost certainly be Girling (every 1.6 GTi I've seen has been) but I'd take the drum off to double check before buying.

ok thank you :)

will it say on the item which one it is? or are they different shapes?

welshpug

4402 75 is the Pug part number for them.

description is as follows;

4402 75 DIAM 19

- CARBURETTOR AND TU24

- INJECTION

WITHOUT INTEGRAL COMPENSATOR

Servicebox certainly indicates the GTi to be Girling.

weejimmy

you dont need to take drum off you can see from behind what the shape coming through the backing plate is,

in your piks if its the second one i could sell you one of mine for £10 deliverd, or the pug one for £20

Craigo

thanks mate i will let you kno :)

pug_ham

It'll definately be a Girling cylinder you need, Bendix have an M12 union in the back of them & the compensator is built in so make sure you get the right one.

Also its very likely that your brake pipe is going to twist up when you undo the union so to avoid needing a new brake pipe if you undo the union very slightly & remove the two 10mm M6 bolts holding the cylinder to the backplate once the hub is off & brakes dismantled you can turn the cylinder instead of ruining the pipe.

AFAIK they are under £10 each from any motor factors.

Graham.

Craigo

sourced one local for £8.50 i think ;) thanks guys... just need to get the hub off now, haha

Sign in to follow this