• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rob Turbo

Megasquirt Reset Issues

Rob Turbo

I'm having reset problems with my megasquirt, under hard acceleration I sometimes get a reset, which more often than not messes up my fuel table around 2k rpm, after looking into it I've found a few tips to stop them, like making sure the earths are good, fit a supressor to the coil pack and make sure you have resistor plugs.

I've checked my earths, all good, I've always had a supressor on the coil pack, but I'm not sure about the plugs, I've got NGK Iridium IX plugs, are they resistor plugs? I don't get any problems with the stereo and I'd assume that if it was the plugs then I'd get the resets all the time?

Is there anything else that I could try? The mapping is coming on nicely otherwise!!

Thanks,

Rob

Ben

I may be way off track here but I always thought the resistor plugs had an 'r' in the code?

Rob Turbo

The part number for the plugs is BKR6EIX-11, but if it was the plugs at fault wouldn't I have more frequent reset problems?

Mad Professor

I have never had a reset due to plug types myself on meny cars that I have fitted megasquirt to.

Eveytime I have been asked to look into reset has been down to poor earths.

You say that you have already tested your megasquirt earth, how many of the earth pins on the 37pin plug did you use, and what guage wire did you use, and where is it earth? and do you have all your sensor earths at the same point?

With megasquirt and most ecu's eveything is earth fired, so you need a very strong and stable earth to the ECU.

When I build looms for megasquirt I use a min of 9 earth pins from the 37pin plug, each 3pins I use 0.5mm wire then goto 1.5mm or 2.0mm wire all the way to the engine block or gearbox earth strap, and all the sensor earths also goto the same earth point, other wise you will run into no end of problems.

Do not use a earth point inside the car, get the main ecu earth as close to the battery / engine as possible, witch is why I use the gearbox earth strap bolt or engine block.

Good luck.

Edited by Mad Professor

Rob Turbo

I'm using 6 earth pins on the ecu, plus one for the sensors, all sensors go to the same pin, the wire I'm using for the earths is from vehicle wiring products, under standard cable, Ref 14. 14/0.30mm, 1mm2, 8.75amp, all the earths are seperate cables running all the way to the gearbox, where they are all crimped and soldered into one ring terminal, bolted with the earth strap from the gearbox.

I think I've cured the resets, at least I haven't had any since yesterday when I gave the VR - wire it's own pin, linked directly to c31, rather than just going to an earth pin. Now I get misfires when the engine gets hot, not just up to temp, if I get it up to temp then give it some stick for about 30 mins I start getting the misfires on boost, from about 3k rpm, it's a complete loss of power.

It's been suggested that it could be down to my crap spark advance table, so when the unburnt mixture hits the inside of the red hot exhaust manifold it ignites, not quite sure how true this could be.

Do you think I need more earths? It would mean taking the loom back out, stripping it half way, then adding the extra cables, or, because of the size of wire I'm using could I split each one to cover 2 pins until I've covered all the earth pins?

Thanks,

Rob

Sign in to follow this