• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
marksorrento205

309 Gti Rear Beam Tube

marksorrento205

My 309 gti beam is not in the best of conditions :D . The outer bearings are worn to say the least which has trashed the tube the bearings sit in or as pug call it the susp crossmember (item 7 pt no 5148 49). My question is when I have looked at sevicebox the part im after is for either -except XU9J4 or -XU9J4. Im I right in thinking the XU9J4 is the gti 16v engine that was fitted to the 309, and the 309 gti 8v was the XU9JA? If so im guessing the -except XU9J4 crossmember is for all the 309 range inc gti and is the one I want. I dont want to make a very expensive fcuk up. Thanks for you help in advance.

Edited by marksorrento205

Baz

Yep, sounds like the one you want.

Although not sure there was any differences between the tube on the Gti & GTi16 anyway tbh.

marksorrento205

Cheers baz for the superfast response!!

Anthony

If you're going to buy the tube new from a dealer, just be warned that you might be for a bit of a shock price wise...

jonnie205

get a base model one from the scrappy they are all the same and still easy enough to get

marksorrento205
If you're going to buy the tube new from a dealer, just be warned that you might be for a bit of a shock price wise...

Thanks I have already had the pleasure of that shock :D

get a base model one from the scrappy they are all the same and still easy enough to get

Sweet will look into it. Cheers

welshpug

the GTi16 has additional fixings amongst other differences, so you need the one that's listed as "except XU9J4"

at least they come with the bearings already fitted!

marksorrento205
the GTi16 has additional fixings amongst other differences, so you need the one that's listed as "except XU9J4"

at least they come with the bearings already fitted!

This is all good! The 16v ones are no longer available anyway which is a bonus but the other one is. The bearings being fitted is a bonus.

Cheers for all the help everyone!!! :)

de Noir

The only difference between GTI16 and GTI/lesser 309s beam tube is more robust cast main fixing/bearing bracket.

Also it has 3 fixing bolts instead of 2:

33102_G.jpg

Tubes themselves are the same through the 309 range.

marksorrento205

Cheers for all the info!

I have just ordered a new one :blush: then looked at my bank balance :lol: O well at least my pug parts bloke is spot on :lol:

SurGie
Cheers for all the info!

I have just ordered a new one :lol: then looked at my bank balance :) O well at least my pug parts bloke is spot on :ph34r:

Hi, so did you get a 309 GTI beam new from the dealer ?

I'm looking for a new one.

How much are they ?

Cheers

marksorrento205

Yeah I ordered it from pug. I aint got it yet but they said I should be available. The crossmember is £424.54 inc vat but I have a sound parts manager who sorts me out with good discount :ph34r: I will keep you posted when it turns up. Just for info the trailing arm shaft that goes into the crossmember are £85.46 inc vat.

SurGie

Ok, its not as bad as i thought really, does that arm shaft inc the arm etc as it quite cheap.

Let me know if it all comes with new bearing's etc.

Il give them a ring see if i can get one soon.

marksorrento205

The arm shaft is just the shaft that needs pressing into the trailing arm - quick and easy job. The crossmember should come with bearings but watch this space. Once I have the parts I will list every thing I have ordered so you know what you need. The way I look at it if you use new parts you wont be doing this job again. My plan is to take the tailing arms off and grease the bearings every 12 - 18 months. I thinking it should out last the car.

SurGie

Ok then yeh it will outlast the car, this is why i want one as im keeping my 205 for good.

I'm goimg to get some nipples fitted so i can grease them all without dismantling it, then put

some grease around the join area once iv put it together and about to fit the

car, it will keep the water away better. :P

Baz
Ok then yeh it will outlast the car, this is why i want one as im keeping my 205 for good.

I'm goimg to get some nipples fitted so i can grease them all without dismantling it, then put

some grease around the join area once iv put it together and about to fit the

car, it will keep the water away better. B)

Tried & tested, and tbh the beam i had that was rebuilt and had grease nipples was just as bad as any other after a few years...

It's not about keeping moisture out, that's innevitable with condensation etc.

Baz

- If you're building a beam expecting it to outlast the car, you can't be building the rest of the car that well.

Trailing arm shafts have gone up again then, as i'm sure they weren't that much a while ago.

Edited by Baz

SurGie

Well, it will out last the cam belt which i plan to do both at the same time, new belt, new shafts.

But my car is dry use mostly.

marksorrento205
- If you're building a beam expecting it to outlast the car, you can't be building the rest of the car that well

Are they really that bad Baz? Mines gonna try and be a dry use only but still sounds like its gonna be a losing battle. I have noticed that you seam to be the source of most second hand parts B) - do you have any std 309gti torsion bars in good condition? I have had to get a rivet gun on one of mine to get it shifted after cleaning it up, soaking it in wd40 for 3 days and belting it weeeeell seized and the end aint to clever.

Baz

They're not *that* bad per sais, well, we all know how well most last from the factory, seemingly only being bad these days. But, as i'm sure Anthony will agree, a seemingly good beam can be pulled apart and still be not much good, and as i've seen, even rebuilt ones, depends who and how well it's done, after only a few years and they're no better than a 15yo or so from factory beam.

Edited by Baz

Batfink

its not really about pumping grease in regularly. Seals perish with age. Its inevitable that water will get in eventually.

Baz

Where's the old sh!t grease going to go anyhow?

Anthony

As said, in my experience, grease nipples do not work - at best they'll merely slow down the inevitable once the outer seals fail and water gets in.

A good rebuilt beam will more than likely outlast most 205's, so long as you treat it to some TLC every few years. I personally recommend that the outer seals are replaced and the beam regreased every 5 years or so as a minimum, and that the bearings are changed every 10 years (although 5 would be more advisable on beams with uprated TB's). Obviously to a point that's all very dependant on the use the car sees - something that's bought out once in a blue moon and otherwise lives in a dry garage will have a beam that lasts alot longer than a car that gets alot of abuse in arduous conditions, and as such "servicing" would need to be adapted to suit.

And Mark, which bit were you hitting with a hammer? If you were smacking the arm, I'd check very carefully that you've not damaged the area where the offset washer sits, as it's very easy to bend and you'll otherwise only discover when you're most of the way through reassembling the beam. A hydraulic press makes light work of torsion bars that are siezed into the arm providing you've managed to remove the torx bolt and offset washer, and is much preferable to beating seven bells out of something with a hammer until you've damaged it.

marksorrento205

"servicing" would need to be adapted to suit.

And Mark, which bit were you hitting with a hammer? If you were smacking the arm, I'd check very carefully that you've not damaged the area where the offset washer sits, as it's very easy to bend and you'll otherwise only discover when you're most of the way through reassembling the beam. A hydraulic press makes light work of torsion bars that are siezed into the arm providing you've managed to remove the torx bolt and offset washer, and is much preferable to beating seven bells out of something with a hammer until you've damaged it.

The arm is fine, it was the small end of the torsion bar that got buzzed out with the arm well supported. Could not get it in my press as its only a bench one and my hi tech work doest even have one. The torx screw had been sheared off and as im a bit of a wiz with seized bolts ( working on mr boeing ) even the snap on easy outs would not shift it with out the chance of snapping it and again that is after days of soaking in wd40 and a little gental heat. Changing the outer seals often answers my next question and personally I was not going to fit nipples just disassemble clean and grease now and then. I appreciate that its a case of when they are going to go not how to stop it but gotta try all you can hey :wacko: About to pick up my batch of shinny parts.

marksorrento205

Got my bits. The beam comes with the bearings fitted as said before and the rubber mounting bushes. It does not come with the outer seals which I thought was a bit daft but not to worry. Torsion bars should be here on tuesday but the studs that screw into the small end of the torsion bars and have the 13mm locknut on the other end pug have put on back order until late nov. Does anyone have any new ones of these pt no 5153 10 that they want to sell?

Sign in to follow this