• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
grandos

Headlight Panel

grandos

Does any one know how to remove the panel behind the headlight as mine is dissolving quickly and it need a new one before I can fit a front wing to it. :lol:

The reason I ask is that I dont know how to go about removing spot welds, I am technically minded so don't mind doing it myself.

Also is there anyone out there that would be able to fit a new panel for the right amount of beer vouchers? B)

Any help as always will be greatly appreciated.

welshpug

centre punch and a sharp drill bit, you can get drill bits specifically for the purpose.

a good cold chisel helps too.

grandos
you want one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/8mm-Spot-Weld-Remova...id=p3286.c0.m14

Very easy to remove then, so long as you can see the spot welds!

I removed the seat cross member in mine recently with on of these, beats the s*ite out of using a grinder!

Just ordered one will let you know how I get on!

Paintguy

When using the above drill bit (my favoured tool by the way) DON'T drill all the way through! Drill just deep enough to separate the two panels, otherwise you'll have nothing to weld to when you put your new panel back on ;)

I use a proper spot weld splitting chisel (see below) to separate the panels, as they are much thinner and distort the panels less, but a cold chisel as mentioned will probably get you by.

AK570.jpg

Tom Fenton

Andy, any idea where to source one of those chisels from? I've to replace a mini rear valance soon and have a spot welder and spot weld drill to use, however one of those could be handy.

Paintguy

Can be found cheaper than that Tom I reckon. I just Googled "Spot Weld Chisel" to find the picture above, and it came up with quite a few stockists :)

Of course you're welcome to borrow mine any time too. I don't have much need for it at this place, seeing as we don't even have a welder ;)

grandos

Right took the headlight panel off today and I have to say wasn't too bad especially with the spot weld drillbit (I thank you philfingers ;) ) just waiting for the new one to turn up and then I'm going to have to work out how to fit it!

Managed to clean up the surrounding area nicely as well which is a bonus, not much more body work to go then its the easy part of getting it ready for the MOT. :)

Any clues on fitment, will I need a spot welder to ensure a good fit? Worth hiring one? and how easy are they to use bearing in mind my welding experience is almost none exsistent, also should I seal around the panel before welding or after. (bodywork is still a bit of a mystery)

Tom Fenton

A spot welder will make a much neater and quicker, if you can get hold of one then I recommend doing so. They are possibly the easiest of all welders to use, you can't really go far wrong! Seal the panel after it has been welded on.

grandos

Will probably hire one then (saw how much they are to buy OMG! for one panel its a bit much). Do you need to wear a mask with a spot welders similar to any other welding equipment and would that come with the welder if you hired one?

Tom Fenton

No you don't need a mask.

Paintguy

If you find the cost of spot welding prohibitive, then another alternative is plug welding with a MIG. Nowhere near as neat and tidy, but gets the job done.

Drill a small hole in ONE of the panels (3mm or so) and MIG through it to the panel beneath, working your way out to around a 8 or 10mm circle. With practice you can make a pretty good job of it that way, but my welding is pants so I always need to grind away the excess afterwards.

Tom Fenton

Keep an eye out for a spot welder second hand or on ebay, I bought one not so long ago for £100, and they do hold their value, so if you are smart you could probably buy one, use it, then sell it on for more or less the same amount.

If you were closer I'd offer to lend you mine, but you are a bit far away!

grandos

Ooh never thought of that :D , might try and see if I can do the same.

nimmo

i'm in the same position mate got the panel clamped on drilled a couple of 10mm holes then used a mig i'm not the best of welders but i do have a grinder aswell and hey presto one panel fitted.

watford1gti

have you boys got any pics?

ive got mine stripped down and ive got this job ahead of me, would like as much help as poss before i start doing anything

cheers matt

ps sorry to hijack thread :D

grandos

Well the headlight panel is now on and its not coming off in a hurry. I used a mig in the end as I could borrow one and all it cost was a bottle of gas :D.

Needed to purchase a angle grinder to smooth all the welds back down though (ah well another power tool in the armoury) with a bit of time and effort it almost looked professional once it was all primered.

Sorry watford1gti I didn't take any pictures but it wasn't too hard a job. If your good at welding then it'd be easy. Definately take your time lining it all up when fitting the panel though.

Basically when I fitted the panel I used the bolt hole at the top (wing bolt) to help hold it and align the panel, then used either G clamps or mole grips where ever you can fit them to hold it all still.

Then check every different area TWICE before you weld to make sure it aligns nicely :) . Then weld away, I just copied all the original weld points.

Another thing if your welding, I was advised to disconnect both terminals of the battery and disconnect the ECU before starting because it could fry it. :o

Sign in to follow this