• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wardy18

Hi Flow Heads 2300cc Internals

wardy18

Ok so i know hi flow doesn't seem to have many fans on here but i think this is mainly about the stage never ending heads but what is your thoughts about the internals they supply, particularly the stroker kit for 2200cc and 2300cc?

they seem to have everything covered in the kit which is great for someone like me who relies on everyone else's input on here to help with whats needed for a build like this but what quality is this kit to?

i have a iron block an will have this bored to necessary locally and so jus need the internals an i will build it up myself with some help locally for a 09' project for the new hillclimb engine for late 09' season testin and proper running in 10'

all input gratefully accepted

thanx

Mandic

If things are XU based, and not EW or from any other engine or even purpose made, then it probably goes like this:

-87x88 for 2.1 (cca 2092), 87 pistons and XU9J4 crank

-87x92 for 2.2 (cca 2187), 87 pistons and XUD11 crank

-88x92 for 2.3 (cca 2237), 88 pistons and XUD11 crank

There are a few 2.1 engines around, do a search, they seem to be pretty good, there is 2.3 engine too, take a look at projects area. Its geometry is tad different, but the engine is just insane.

Cheers

Ziga

wardy18

I had an email back from Andy at hi flow and he said that my xu10j2 block has a max bore limit of 86.6mm and cant take the 87 or 88mm due to the risk of hittin porous spots in the bore!

so i can either save myself some money and keep the bore at standard 86mm and go for a mental crank or stick a very easily available 88mm xu9 crank it an go 2.1, ill see what he says would be best for the block to get the most performance out of it for hillclimbing

wardy18

A diesel block would be my preferred option but being on an island makes it difficult and expensive to source one whereas ive just been given a 306 2ltr xsi 8v engine which i might aswel use to save me money

Mandic

Is postage from UK or maybe France really that expensive??

Cheers

Ziga

B1ack_Mi16
Is postage from UK or maybe France really that expensive??

Cheers

Ziga

So do the XU10 blocks which don't have spray bars, XU10J2 etc. really have thinner cylinder walls than the XU10J4 / J4RS / J4TE ?

I would appreciate if someone could take a closeup photo of a XU10J2 block so we can have a closer look at it.

I've not studied one XU10J2 myself, but think the XU11D and XU10J4RS ones at least can be safely taken to 87mm, most probably 88mm too.

wardy18

It cost me £75 to get a set of 15" wheels (no tyres) from midlands to guernsey, this was half a pallet which is what a block would be but imagine the extra weight of a iron block built up?!

Miles

All the Basic XU iron block's are the same, the take off's are either used or not,

Yes I;ve heard some of these rumor's that they cannot be bored, But the few I have done to 87 & 88 have all been fine.

wardy18

Whats the biggest crank that can be fitted, its jus the biggest bore is 88mm an along with a 92mm crank doesn't make 2300cc only makes like 2235cc or somethin

i think i would stick to 87mm bore as ive always been told this is more reliable and can still get good cc results with a 92mm crank or bigger if available!

they do seem to offer a very long crank but i dont know its size, whats the biggest they could be using?

Mandic

96mm is the longest from Pug which fits into XU block. There are other options too.

Cheers

Ziga

wardy18

Wow thats big, whats that from?

whats these other options?

wardy18

Where can this 96mm crank be sourced from?

hi flow ultra long crank is only the 92mm crank, i thought it was the 96mm

i think i will only take this block to 87mm so the biggest crank i can get the better

B1ack_Mi16

96mm crank is from the 2.2 EW engine, or 2.2 DW (diesel version).

I've never fitted one myself to an XU engine, but I have heard it will fit, maybe you need to modify some things but maybe it drops straight in too..

wardy18

That would be great, what actual car an model is this from? I might try and source one, think 96mm crank with 88mm bore comes to about 2335cc or somethin close, ill only go to 87mm thou, i assume you account for extra stroke with shorter rods

Mandic

It's from newer (EW and DW) generation 2.2 petrol or diesel engines. Model? from 406 and C5 upwards. There are supposed to be some difference in design between earlier and later cranks. Diesel's are also forged.

Cheers

Ziga

Edited by Mandic

wardy18

From all the info ive been given lately i think my ideal build would be a ally xu9 block with 86.5mm bore, 96mm forged diesel crank and forged rods and pistons to accomodate! This would give me 2257cc in a light ally block :)

does this sound achievable?

Sandy

Perhaps, but it doesn't sound reliable to me. Call me a septic

wardy18

because of the 86.5mm wet liners?!

the other choice is swap the ally block and go for 87mm bore in my xu10 block

Sandy

I'm not a fan oversizing the wet liners beyond 84mm generally, but the combination of long stroke and oversize liners is especially likely to be a recipe for heartache.

wardy18

lol thats what im affraid off, i dont wanna be having to prepare my iron block once ive spent the money and built up and blown up my ally block!!

ive got to try and find one of these 96mm cranks now too :)) anyone....................

wardy18

woo looks like i may have found a 406 2.2ltr Diesel crank, just need to confirm it is the correct one!!

so this is definitely the car that has the 96mm crank yeh?!?! Peugeot 406 2.2ltr Diesel, is it Turbo of N/A?!?

thanx

welshpug

it will be turbo, there weren't any non turbo diesel 406's.

wardy18

So will this crank definitely fit the xu10 iron block yeh? Will anythin need to be done to block or crank to get it to fit?

has this actually successfully been done before?

wardy18

is anyone able to answer this before i go an buy the crank, many thanx

B1ack_Mi16
is anyone able to answer this before i go an buy the crank, many thanx

No, this one is on you. You're the chosen one to find out if the 96mm crank really will fit or not. B)

Sign in to follow this