• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

allanallen

[engine_work] Mi45 - M45 S/C on an Mi16 engine

allanallen

Thought it was about time i put a bit of info and pics up of my long term project as its now nearing completion. sorry in advance about the length of the post and any bad grammer etc :)

I started the project a couple of years ago and it was originally based in a sorrento 1.9, some photos can be seen on this site

http://www.universal-intercoolers.co.uk/Pe...percharged.html

p.s excellent quality intercoolers and very nice guy to deal with B)

anyhow, i got a bit bored of it and threw it outside under a sheet for about 12 months. In march though i found a non sunny white 1.6 in really nice rust free condition for £200, it had no wheels and wouldnt start but it was an absolute bargain and i felt very guilty about buying it so cheaply B)

I got the car home and decided i wanted an 8v turbo for it, so i bought a battered xm turbo for the engine. The xm wasnt such a bargain though as on removal of the head i found the bores to be shagged and the turbo was a bit ropey. With scrap prices being so high though i managed to get my money back by weighing the xm shell in for £130.

This left me with no engine though, so i decided to abandon the sorrento project and pull the engine out and ram it in the new white one. The sorrentos not going to waste though as my brother is going to be re-spraying it and putting his tuned tu into it.

anyway heres some pictures of when i removed it from the sorrento and then some of the fab work once it was in the white one

th_003.jpg

th_001-1.jpg

th_002.jpg

th_005.jpg

th_004.jpg

th_006.jpg

th_007.jpg

th_008.jpg

th_009.jpg

I'm not going to give you a full run down of everything ive done as its pretty obvious by looking at the pictures but i'll give you a rough list so you can see whats been involved.

exteded top engine mount

brackets for charger

cut down mi manifold with a plenum fabed onto it

bracket to fit alternator onto gearbox to run off the exhaust cam

cambelt tensioner on a plate attached to sump for belt tensioner

front mount intercooler hung from bumper brackets and piped through holes in the body

intercooler outlet fabed (sorry no pics)

lowered rad

once all the major bits were done it was fairly straight forward. just pipeing, wireing etc. there were obviously other problems i encountered on the way like the oil filler which i had to remake but generally it was just trivial little bits.

James_R

Nice work with the alt :)

allanallen

The rest of the cars had some tlc also, heres the loe down on the hoe down

refurbed beam with gti6 shocks

all new brake lines + braided hoses

206 266 brakes greestuff pads

rear disk conversion greestuffs

205 gti shocks eibach -40 springs

bbm beam mounts engine mounts, hoses

miles gear rods

prd manifold

home bodged exhaust with magnex backbox

loads of other s*it but i really cant remember everythin at the minute

anyhow heres the finished pics :)

th_mi16supercharger001.jpg

th_mi16supercharger002.jpg

th_mi16supercharger003.jpg

th_mi16supercharger004.jpg

th_mi16supercharger005.jpg

th_mi16supercharger006.jpg

th_mi16supercharger007.jpg

th_mi16supercharger008.jpg

th_mi16supercharger009.jpg

DanteICE

Please tell me that's garden hose pipe! If so, that's ace, I love the cheap little fixes on cars

allanallen

on monday my brother (calvinhorse) and I had a day out with the car at chipwizards. I was incredibly nervous as ive never done anything like this before and obviously didn't even know if it would work. Wayne looked everything over and found nothing of concern (result). So he began mapping it. The fooking noise it makes is unreal B) Just to let you know the engine is a standard rebuilt 1.9 mi16 running a dta 48. Wayne initially did a few runs to see if the injectors were up to scratch.....they weren't. Several internet mechanics had informed me gti-6 injectors are good for well over 220bhp. mine however ran out of go at 190bhp!!! Wayne had loads of spare ones though so we wacked in another set (porsche 964 ones IIRC). He then roughly mapped the car so we could run it in (hard and fast was the order of the day,just how i like it :) ) After a bit of a run in we changed the oil and finished the job. I had to hide in the office for a bit as its never nice watching your rebuilt motor hitting the limiter from 3 feet away.

We managed to get finished at about midnight (wayne had been on a 24hr race over the weekend so i think his body clock was a bit fooked up).

needless to say we left very tired but also very happy

when i first started this project and all the way through it to be honest people have been saying that the mini charger is useless and wont flow enough and the inlet temps will be to high etc etc . With this in mind i had no great expectaitions.

Results using a 2.3:1 pulley ratio ie, 16000rpm charger speed at 7000rpm engine speed

249bhp@ flywheel

217bhp@ wheels

peak torque was 197 but its 185+ from 2000rpm upto the limiter

graphs to follow.

The car is absoloutley insane to drive, instant power in any gear. theres obviously going to be reliability issues with it using a standard engine but i'm going to use it and see what happens

Edited by allanallen

allanallen
Please tell me that's garden hose pipe! If so, that's ace, I love the cheap little fixes on cars

yes thats automotive quality garden hose avialable from focus or B&Q in 25meter lengths :)

welshpug
peak torque was 197 but its 185+ from 2000rpm upto the limiter

:) looking forward to see the non-curve on the graph! B)

allanallen
:) looking forward to see the non-curve on the graph! B)

its no bowling green but its pretty damn good

allanallen
B)B) sounds epic!

passenger rides welcome in exchange for beer :lol::)

James_R

soudns feasible, will be up soon as I can.

Henry Yorke

Bugger the BHP, just think about all that lovely torque right across the range. That is what makes a car quick and fun to drive on B roads.

I'll have to have a word with you about Chip Wizards as mine could do with a look at ECU wise :)

I will be over for a whirl in the near future fo

anyway heres some pictures of when i removed it from the sorrento and then some of the fab work once it was in the white one

Yes the work really fab! Pugdiddlyocious mate! B)

Tom Fenton

Good work, looks really good. I was also thinking of taking a hole saw to the front panel to get some boost hoses through so its nice to see it certainly is possible!

jackherer

Very nice, what gearbox ratios are you running?

M@tt

Whoop Whoop!! First class work!!

Mint mate mint!!, will be over shortly for some pant browning, giggle inducing passenger rides :)

tom_m

amazing results mate! i'll hitch a ride up with james and a crate thats gotta be a fun ride :)

calvinhorse

best passenger quote so far - "thats just f*****g stupid"

Henry Yorke
best passenger quote so far - "thats just f*****g stupid"

Were they on about the car or you Cal :P

pug_ham

Top work Allan, look forward to see it in the flesh one day. (the car not you.)

(Again :P)

Graham.

allanallen
Good work, looks really good. I was also thinking of taking a hole saw to the front panel to get some boost hoses through so its nice to see it certainly is possible!

cheers tom, show it no mercy with the hole saw :P I was gonna make some rings up and weld them around the holes to strengthen it up a bit but i dont think it needs it to be honest. I didnt alter the front of the white one like i did originally on the sorrento, I just lowered the rad on two brackets instead, much easier

Top work Allan, look forward to see it in the flesh one day. (the car not you.)

(Again ;))

Graham.

I've got a nice photo of me in the bath if your interested graham :lol::lol: only jokin, cheers though buddy, shaw i'll see you soon enough

The best reaction i got was defo of my girlfriend;

"its faster than that black mitsubishi thing we went in" (evo 5 rs)

"ahhh, it gives you whip lash....can you stop doing that now" (when leaving a junction and giving it beans, nothin sexual :lol::P )

james and tom - no mither ;)

m@tt and henry(smashy and nicey) - see you soon pop pickers. I rekon you should change the south yorkshire meet to a different day though (tuesday perhaps) I've got a feeling you may get a larger attendance :P

Edited by allanallen

allanallen
Very nice, what gearbox ratios are you running?

its running a standard 1.9 box, it defo wants a lsd but the gearing seems fairly good to be honest. 1st is fairly useless but once its into second its alright as long as your sensible with the throttle. If your rough with it though you can spin the wheels well into third.

madspikes

Good to see another supercharged pug. So how much boost are you seeing, just wondering how it compares to my 8v. I'm only seeing less than 0.4 bar with a standard charger and Mi pulleys.

Mad

Paintguy

I think you're suddenly going to get a whole new set of friends ;)

Get yourself down to a PSOOC meet so we can thrash the living daylights out of it for you!

allanallen
Good to see another supercharged pug. So how much boost are you seeing, just wondering how it compares to my 8v. I'm only seeing less than 0.4 bar with a standard charger and Mi pulleys.

Mad

alright spikes, I'm seeing 0.55 bar throughout the rev range, thats using a 2.0 mi bottom pulley and a -15% supercharger pulley. I would of thought you'd be seein more than that to be honest.

heres a really crap pic of the power graphs but it gives you a rough idea

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h310/allanallen/011.jpg

I'd love to be able to get to the yorks meets but i work permenant nights (wed,thurs,fri nights) so can never get down to them :)

calvinhorse

i seem to remember people saying this wouldnt work? whats their opinion now?

internet mechanic anyone?

:lol: