• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

allanallen

[engine_work] Mi45 - M45 S/C on an Mi16 engine

allanallen
Having been taken for a spin in Al's car this weekend i can say that this car is absolutely awesome!! It's the fastest 205 i've ever been in!

The supercharger whine is fantastic and the car just pulls and pulls, i couldn't stop grinning :D

These conversions have got to be the the best bang for buck out there.

Well done again mate on a fantastic build!

glad you liked it. shame it was wet really or we could of had a better run out.

heres a better rolling road printout from the psooc trip last saturday (cheers m@tt)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/meb...516/F724YVD.jpg

I think the spikes at the begining are something to do with the rollers and not my car. al

hatemgti

I want to ask if your comp. ratio is 10.4 or 9.7??

allanallen
I want to ask if your comp. ratio is 10.4 or 9.7??

it is the earlier hi comp engine :blink:

M@tt

warning there is some hardcore nudity at the beginning of this video, those that don't wish to see calvins nipples should not view it ^_^

excuse my girly giggles and monkey style laugh also :D

Anthony

Ah, so it was you that I saw at Pugfest - thought it was and it certainly looked pretty quick, but Christ is that supercharger loud from the outside! ^_^

Baz

Yup! Awesome homebrew build, impressive!

bluesleeper

Just a quick question but do you need a diverter valve in the system?? or did you use a recirc setup

Thanks

Gareth.

allanallen
Just a quick question but do you need a diverter valve in the system?? or did you use a recirc setup

Thanks

Gareth.

I use a re-circulating dump valve but you could use a proper divertor. It may be worth putting the throttle body upstream of the charger to be honest though, I think I'd probably do it that way if I was to do it again. You'd not need a re-circ valve and it'd be quieter that way.

Cheers for the other comments aswell chaps.

bit of an update too :D

Its been sitting un-loved over winter apart from a quick run out for an MOT last month.

post-7633-1269197950_thumb.jpg

post-7633-1269197980_thumb.jpg

Seens we've had a bit of nice weather I thought I'd have a look at sorting a few bits out

This is how the bay had looked for a while with the inlet cocooned in gaffa tape due to a cracked weld

post-7633-1269198062_thumb.jpg

Edited by allanallen

205turbo

Allan do you fancy making a kit for me for some doller :D

allanallen

So off it came

post-7633-1269198399_thumb.jpg

post-7633-1269198570_thumb.jpg

crap picture but its across the weld about 8" long.

post-7633-1269198334_thumb.jpg

allanallen

Then lookily a neighbour has bought himself a tig welder :D so I thought i'd let him have a practice this after noon

post-7633-1269198686_thumb.jpg

I'm quite impressed really

I'd also turned up a 25mm take-off for the re-circ valve so I got him to weld that onto the charger inlet.

post-7633-1269198869_thumb.jpg

Edited by allanallen

allanallen

Thats it so far really, also on the list to do is:

replace these buggers, believe it or not they're 12 months old and have only done 2k

post-7633-1269198975_thumb.jpg

replace front pads as the ebc greens are wank

fit a 3.2 rack and new rod ends

fit a fresh set of hubs with new bearings

check over and probably have to replace wishbone bushes

Re-paint rocker cover as all the red paint has peeled up and looks a bloody mess

Fit some more suitable plug leads

Fit 24mm rear arb

Then the biggest headache will be making some sort of enclosed air filter set-up to quieten it down a bit. I think I'm going to make an ally airbox up that fits where the battery currently is. Then a cold air feed from directly behind the grill, We'll see though.

cheers, allan

Edited by allanallen

allanallen
Allan do you fancy making a kit for me for some doller ;)

Wish I had a quid for everytime some one asked me that paul :D

I'd love to build another one as theres loads of stuff I now know I could improve on but I just don't have time.

I'm currently spending all my free time on my 309 and now unfortunatly on this, plus I've got a set of charger mounts half made up for cals 405 I need to finish.

Once my 309s done though I'd perhaps be up for it........... Are you going to PPC in the park this year?

205turbo

yes mate will be there, not sure what in yet but i'll be going,

KRISKARRERA
Thats it so far really, also on the list to do is:

replace these buggers, believe it or not they're 12 months old and have only done 2k

post-7633-1269198975_thumb.jpg

They from Halfords? I had some from Halfords go just like that.

bluesleeper

I might be bugging you for hint's and tips over the next few months, hope you won't mind :lol:

allanallen

Paul, we'll catch up at mallory then. Me and cal have got a couple of sessions booked this year :lol:

They from Halfords? I had some from Halfords go just like that.

They were from a yocal tyre place, they didn't cost me anything mind. They must be designed to only last a year so they can sting you again the following year to fit new ones!

bluesleeper; No mither, I hope i'm able to help.

205turbo

i'll have me camcorders and dslr's there mate so will get you some good footage :)

Ron_Jaegers

I have two questions before embarking on a supercharger adventure of my own:

- What would you do different if you were to do the conversion again?

- Is the charger inlet home-made, madspikes' inlet seems to be identical. How does it mount to the charger itself?

Actually that were three questions, I believe. Anyway nice results on a budget with this conversion!

madspikes

Mine came from a friend of a friend who was selling them on ebay.... Not sure he's selling them any more....

Mad

Ron_Jaegers

How is the inlet attached to the charger and how is it sealed than madspikes?

allanallen
I have two questions before embarking on a supercharger adventure of my own:

- What would you do different if you were to do the conversion again?

- Is the charger inlet home-made, madspikes' inlet seems to be identical. How does it mount to the charger itself?

Actually that were three questions, I believe. Anyway nice results on a budget with this conversion!

hi Ron, Firstly I would not run the alternator off the exhaust cam, mine doesn't start charging untill around 1500rpm so traffic jams in the dark are interesing especially if its raining :D . Theres only enough room for a small alternator on top of the gearbox and theres no space for altering pulley sizes to speed it up. Unfortunatly i'm stuck with mine unless I change my whole set-up though.

I'm also working on fitting a second 'slave' throttle body inbetween the charger and the air filter. This should hopefully quieten it down considerably. I'm using the car everyday at the moment and the noise under general driving conditions and cruising is pretty unbearable.

I'd also make the plenum out of largeish diameter pipe rather than the fabricated box I made. It would of been easier and shouldn't crack like mine did.

I'd also look at using the eaton M45 off the newer (lower powered) mercedes slk 230s, they look smaller and easier to mount than the mini ones.

As mad says the charger inlet came off ebay 2-3 years ago. It mounts tightly over the standard mini seal and has one mounting tab which bolts to the charger body where the mini water pump would usually attach.

Hope that helps, Allan

EdCherry

Might be worth looking at mounting the alt connected to a driveshaft? Know it will only charge when your moving but hey ho!

Ron_Jaegers

I'm wondering if it is possible to mount the alt on the sump where the pas pump should be. Should try to mock that up one of these days.

madspikes
I'm also working on fitting a second 'slave' throttle body inbetween the charger and the air filter. This should hopefully quieten it down considerably. I'm using the car everyday at the moment and the noise under general driving conditions and cruising is pretty unbearable.

Thats interesting, as I've toyed with the similar idea for the same reasons, well idle and town driving! I've found using 2 bosch re-circ valves to dump the unwanted boost made things much better, but there is still room for improvement.

Mad.