• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Rupertfinch

Giving These A Little Bit Of Attention. Any Idea Of Costs?

Rupertfinch

OK so my cherry red 1.6 is pretty blooming A1 in terms of body work, apart from the red, orange, pink thing going on!

However my newly acquired Miami could do with a bit of TLC.

Could anyone cast an eye over these images and tell me how much I should be looking at to tidy them up? I have attacked them with kurust.

My cherry red is my first love and I would happily spend silly money on it, but the Miami is probably not a long-term keeper and I'm looking at finding her a new owner (but not a chav) eventually. Once I've sorted out the most major issues. I had a budget in mind for all the work it needs, but that'll no doubt go out the window and no profit will be made.

Many thanks, Mark.

post-8711-1221387241_thumb.jpg

post-8711-1221387251_thumb.jpg

post-8711-1221387261_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rupertfinch

Tom Fenton

Get stuck in with a wire brush and get all the loose bubbly flaky crap off the top and see what it really is like. Putting Kurust over the top of big bubbly scabs is a bit of a waste of time I'm sorry to say.

I've repaired similar at the bottom of the door pillars that looked bad to begin with but in actual fact when cleaned back wasn't so bad at all. However thats not to say yours is still solid so be prepared for a possible shock.

Rupertfinch

Will go to town on them with a dremel attachment. Wire brushing in my clumsy hand may only serve to bollox them even more.

Assuming that nothing too scarey appears, what roughly would I be looking at to have them blown over?

Like I say, it's probably not a keeper (I will pretend I haven't said this in a couple of weeks) but I don't want to pass on a piss-poor effort to any future custodians!

Mark.

miamichris

Mark, any chance of throwing up a few pics of the miami, just so I can see the car? :excl:

regards that rust, Tom's right you can't really see the extent of it till you get those scabby bits off..but once you do that you have to start painting parts of the car, which is going to be a bollocks to get a match to say the least! :( what's the plan, are you going to get a bodyshop to paint those bits?

Rupertfinch

Miamichris, apologies for the delay in response. Not so good tonight to get some pics, but I'll put them up asap - besides the bloody starlings are back and crapping everywhere.

Plans are still up in the air. I need to give her a real good going over with a wire brush, but whenever I'm free the weather's crap. I really should finish the cherry red and get it out of the garage so the miami can take it's place. Undecided regarding bodyshop, probably the best idea, but given that it's in such localised areas and the trim makes such a good stop line, part of me could be tempted to have a go at a DIY approach, which will no doubt end up so pish that I'll have wasted money on primer and paint that would have been better spent at a bodyshop.

With your contacts do you know of anyone fairly local to Bangor who wouldn't get too arsey at doing such a small job? My only bodyshop experience is with Autobody in Ards and they insulted the red one, so balls to 'em!

miamichris
Miamichris, apologies for the delay in response. Not so good tonight to get some pics, but I'll put them up asap - besides the bloody starlings are back and crapping everywhere.

Plans are still up in the air. I need to give her a real good going over with a wire brush, but whenever I'm free the weather's crap. I really should finish the cherry red and get it out of the garage so the miami can take it's place. Undecided regarding bodyshop, probably the best idea, but given that it's in such localised areas and the trim makes such a good stop line, part of me could be tempted to have a go at a DIY approach, which will no doubt end up so pish that I'll have wasted money on primer and paint that would have been better spent at a bodyshop.

With your contacts do you know of anyone fairly local to Bangor who wouldn't get too arsey at doing such a small job? My only bodyshop experience is with Autobody in Ards and they insulted the red one, so balls to 'em!

Don't really know anyone around Bangor mate, my dad's outside Ballygowan but he's that busy all the time, there's a constant queue of cars etc up there! ;) you'd maybe want somewhere closer to look at it? ideally you'd want to see some of their work, get a decent quote etc..I can ask my dad if he'll do it or knows anyone down your direction that would do it for you if you want :lol:

Still to get the number for that seat repair fella for you, i'll do that when I get a chance pal..I know what you mean about the weather, it's terrible over here isn't it! :D

Sign in to follow this