• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
maxi

Peugeot Partner 21.3mm Torsion Bars

maxi

Will the 21.3mm torsion bars from a peugeot partner van DEFINATELY (1st hand experience here please not what you think you've read somewhere) fit a 309 beam??? Has anyone ever run with these bars or see any point in upgrading to them?

Maxi

B1ack_Mi16
Will the 21.3mm torsion bars from a peugeot partner van DEFINATELY (1st hand experience here please not what you think you've read somewhere) fit a 309 beam??? Has anyone ever run with these bars or see any point in upgrading to them?

Maxi

Not 100% first hand experience, but I really know many people have fitted Partner bars to the 405, as the 405 and Partner have the same type rear beam.

I made this pic some days ago and posted on 405 mi16 forum, but it's gone after the hacking of that forum maybe.

Here it is again:

post-3331-1219870144_thumb.jpg

As you can see.. 309 and 405 bars are exactly the same length, so yes Partner bars should fit without any problems.

jonnie205

this is very interesting, think ime off down the scrappy to get some partner bars

maxi

When I first ran a 309 rear beam the improvement was ENORMOUS over the std 205 item. Stiffer with obviously less roll and much more stability, which in turn meant more confidence at high speed cornering. However, I now feel the stiffer rear end might actually be the hidden culprit of my old shell literally falling to pieces........

If I was to use an even stiffer torsion bar again, does anyone agree with me that the shell will suffer fatigue as a result? I think the question im trying to ask is am I better of with std 309 torsion bars or the big partner items?

Maxi

tom_m

i think your higher cornering speeds may have more to do with it than just the stiffer torsion bars, but they won't be completely blameless. :)

maxi

Shall I start a poll???? For road use maybe the bigger bars will just be over the top?

Maxi

tom_m

can't comment on the 309 beam, but with oe dampers and 21mm bars on the 205 was fine on the road. once i upgraded to the stiffer bilsteins, it certain loses ride quality on the road, but its fantastic when you're pressing on.

horses for courses really, depends what you want it for and how much you're willing to compromise.

jonnie205

it depends how quick you actually drive, if you are flat out on back road or road town then std 309 bars will be too soft, a tarmac rally car is how a fast road car should setup and they run very stiff bars

ifcho

From the pic black mi16 has shown it looks like you could also fit 306 bars, after a little grinding on the ends?

Has somebody tried?

B1ack_Mi16
From the pic black mi16 has shown it looks like you could also fit 306 bars, after a little grinding on the ends?

Has somebody tried?

That's true, exactly what I plan to do with my peugeot sport 23mm ones, I know several other people in Norway using 306 peugeot sport ones on the 309 beam, just chop like 2-3mm of each end and it will fit.

SPGTi
Not 100% first hand experience, but I really know many people have fitted Partner bars to the 405, as the 405 and Partner have the same type rear beam.

I made this pic some days ago and posted on 405 mi16 forum, but it's gone after the hacking of that forum maybe.

Here it is again:

post-3331-1219870144_thumb.jpg

As you can see.. 309 and 405 bars are exactly the same length, so yes Partner bars should fit without any problems.

Could you add a 205 bar to that picture. The Partner bars direct from Pug are not that expensive and was just wondering how much would have to be cut off to allow fitment into a 205 beam. Would also be nice to see a Partner bar to see how long the splined bit is.

cheers

Steve

welshpug

the 205 bars would be too short, how much narrower is a 205 beam? that's your answer...

Anthony
If I was to use an even stiffer torsion bar again, does anyone agree with me that the shell will suffer fatigue as a result? I think the question im trying to ask is am I better of with std 309 torsion bars or the big partner items?

I run 22mm 309 TB's on my 205 (no cage or anything), and the shell doesn't seem to be fairing too badly - the cracks across the top of the rear quarter windows are pretty big now, but it's not really grown noticeably since fitting the bigger bars. The rest of the seams and welds are OK as far as I'm aware, or certainly I've not spotted anything of concern.

No problems using the car with the bigger bars on the road either, as I've been commuting in it everyday and covering lots of miles (car did ~18k miles last year, probably about 8k of that with the 22mm TB's).

Has somebody tried?

I don't really see the point unless you've found some uprated 306 bars cheap, seeing as 306 TB's are 20mm, exactly the same as 309 GTi's are already.

Could you add a 205 bar to that picture. The Partner bars direct from Pug are not that expensive and was just wondering how much would have to be cut off to allow fitment into a 205 beam. Would also be nice to see a Partner bar to see how long the splined bit is.

I very much doubt that there would be enough splined area on the bar to chop it down sufficiently to fit a 205 beam.

ifcho

^^ there is some point in my location. There are virtually no 309 GTIs here, so finding a 309 GTI beam is mission impossible. But now I can get a 309 base model tube, some ZX arms, and 306 s16 bars and make myself a what would effectively become 309 GTI Beam

tom_m
the cracks across the top of the rear quarter windows are pretty big now, but it's not really grown noticeably since fitting the bigger bars.

but we all know those are just cracks in body filler right? indicative of flex maybe, but not a cause for concern with the welds necessarily

Anthony
but we all know those are just cracks in body filler right? indicative of flex maybe, but not a cause for concern with the welds necessarily

Oh, don't get me wrong - I'm not concerned in the slightest about it. It's more that those cracks are normally a fairly good indication of how hard life a shell has had, and I'd expect that if the shell was flexing excessively due to the suspension being too stiff then those cracks would grow fairly rapidly.

James_R

It's more the growning the shell makes when you drop off a kerb slowly (i.e one wheel higher up than the rest) but again that's just eleastic felx surely not Austin1000 the door won't open anymore flex :)

Baz

It's seam sealer, it flexes, it's mean to, it's just that the paint on top of it doesn't. Not that i'm disagreeing with anything already said, just that it's expected IMO. I don't even really think it's a reflection on how hard the life of the shell has been these days, it's par for the course, and more worried about rust and damage.

B1ack_Mi16

cheers

Steve

The splined bits are usually the same length on all the Peugeot or Peugeot Sport bars.

It's just my 24mm ones that are painted in blue in that picture that's different and has longer splines, but they are not made by Peugeot Sport afaik.

About 205 bars, they are just too short and not possible to swap bars between 205 / 309 beam no way.

jackherer
No problems using the car with the bigger bars on the road either, as I've been commuting in it everyday and covering lots of miles (car did ~18k miles last year, probably about 8k of that with the 22mm TB's).

What dampers are you using? I'm daily driving a 205 with a 309 beam with 23mm TBs and Leda dampers and the ride is surprisingly compliant but I suspect a lot of that is down to the Ledas (set to max firmness!). There are no problems with the shell either but it has a multipoint cage and seam welding so thats not too relevant.

James_R

Billi challenge tarmacs

I've been running 24's and now moving to 25mm TB's and 285 now 300lbs springs and with the damping right it's very nice to drive, just not the wet :)

jonnie205

xsara vts vts bars are 21mm

jonnie205

what thickness are 405 mi16 bars?

Anthony
What dampers are you using? I'm daily driving a 205 with a 309 beam with 23mm TBs and Leda dampers and the ride is surprisingly compliant but I suspect a lot of that is down to the Ledas (set to max firmness!). There are no problems with the shell either but it has a multipoint cage and seam welding so thats not too relevant.

Bilstein Challenge dampers.

The ride is quite stiff, there's no doubt of that, but it's not harsh. Must say though, after driving that for months, driving my XS on standard suspension this week has been something of a shock as it wafts over bumps and broken tarmac like they're not there thanks to the comically soft springs and damping...

welshpug

mi16 bars are 20mm, all 3 :)

Sign in to follow this