• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
boldy205

Gti6 Crank Pully

boldy205

Hi i have a GTi6 that im going to be running on Megajolt and 45s. I wonder if anyone else has this setup, and if so how have they mounted the trigger wheel on the pully. Also will any other pullys fit the GTI6 engine? It dosent look like the MI one will (which is what i had it running on before), maybe a 8 valve pully??

Any ideas welcome!

Many Thanks

Matt

boldy205

no one got a mappable ignition system and carbs on a GTi6 Then??

Or any other ideas?

Bump !

welshpug

other idea would be something like an OMEX or emerald that's compatible with the PSA 60-2 flywheel.

or go the whole hog and get throttle bodies on, get the most out of that J4RS.

boldy205

I already have the Megajolt installed in the car so its ease of sorting, and its a money thing really, as i need to reuse as many parts of the original Megajolt/Weber setup as poss!

welshpug

not up with Megajolt, it it the EDIS based one that'll only work on 36-1? or is there a 60-2 compatible version out?

boldy205

Yea its the 36-1, im sure there is not a 60-2 version outm though if there was it would make my life so easy!!!!

I was thinking about using the old PAS pump as a 'hub' and possibaly mounting the wheel on ther, although i feel this may be a bit 'messy'.

Either that or i make myself a 'dished' wheel using the crank bolt to hold it on. Would you know what the pully holds on? as in is it ONLY the crank pully, and its totaly safe to remove this bolt, no washers/buts will fall off inside the engine??? Only thing this way is keeping the wheel centered or 'ballanced'. Hhhm, are we getting somewhere??

Thanks for the input.

matt

welshpug

yep you can remove the crank pulley bolt, just don't turn it over as the timing belt bottom sprocket is behind the pulley on the nose of the crank, though it wont move as it's on a woodruff key so its safe to just remove the bolt.

should be able to fit a 36-1 wheel onto the pulley, there should be something of use or reference on this site http://trigger-wheels.com/store/

one method I have seen to fit a trigger wheel to a dished pulley is a longer bolt and a spacer between the pulley and the trigger wheel to fit in the recess, not sure how the timing of the wheel was set and kept though as it would be difficult to keep it stationary while tightening the bolt.

boldy205

I was forgetting the cam belt, hmm, not much of a prob as may just put a new one on while the engine is out of the car anyway. So then i could take the pully off and investigate. I have seen the link you posted, and this gave me two ideas, the dished wheel and the possability of welding a wheel to the pully. Hmm, actually, this isnt a good idea.

How about drilling and tapping into the pully?? I realise you prob dont know the answer to this, just wondering if you have seen it done for any reason, not just for trigger wheels, maybe to connect another pully, a PAS one for example??

I really got to go to bed now!!!! Up early in the morning, but look forward to any more sugestions!

Thanks Welshpug

Matt

pugpete1108
no one got a mappable ignition system and carbs on a GTi6 Then??

Or any other ideas?

Bump !

i plan to run megasquirt on my gti6 with bike tb's using the original 60-2 on the flywheel

whats the difference between them? at a guess i would say megajolt just runs spark?

James_R

contact QEP they've made up pick ups from the cambelt end, and I think Sandy from here has aswell.

boldy205

JamesR: What do you meen by pickups from the cambelt end please??

Pugpete1108: Yes the Megajolt runs the ignition only. As far as i know, as i have never had much to do with Megasquirt, this will run on the 60-2 setup.

WelshPug: Thanks for all the input, think i am going to drill/tap some holes in the pully as it seems its made of solid metal and bolt it to the pully, slightly spaced away from the face of the pully with washers

bren_1.3

OT but what voltage are you seeing through the VR sensor? im getting 1.4V~ on both pins...

you perhaps want the 5.75" lightweight trigger wheel from www.trigger-wheels.com or something to that effect. allowing you to lock the wheel in place while you tighten up the crank pulley bolt.

i personally havent bothered though. ive just shimmed mine out against the alternator pulley. and when i come to tighten it i lock up the crank at TDC and try and jam up the trigger wheel with a screwdriver or similair.

boldy205

Bren: I cannot remember what voltage i had on the VR sensor now, sorry. just to say i have now got a Lynx Engeneering solid alloy pully and am going to have that machined to take a trigger wheel. So hopefully, all will be good!! Im not sure if i like the altenator pully idea, as a slip of the belt and your timing is out. I know it prob will never happen, but it just another reason to be on the AA truck!!

bren_1.3

what other options do we have though!!! is there something that can be attached to the flywheel at all?

boldy205

Bren: I have machined a alloy pully to accept a trigger wheel on spacers. You may be able to use a flywheel setup, but the missing tooth would have to be in the correct place as standard. Plus it a 62-2 pattern, which is uncompatable with the Megajolt.

Sign in to follow this